BGE Dice Macro Thoughts

rab46
Captain

BGE Dice Macro Thoughts

Post by rab46 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:37 am

Not much activity in this subforum, but looked like the most appropriate place for this.

I have a couple of observations from my experience with dice macros as I create games in BGE. I wanted to pass them along. None of them are show stoppers, but think they would be nice to have and speed up game play:

- Set default dice macro display behaviour in the dice roller panel. Some dice rolls are simple with no modifiers and I would like to go directly to the results screen. Other dice rolls always require that I open the dice roller to adjust the number of die and modifiers. I know that I can use the shift key but it would be nice if I could set the default behavior, then negate that behavior with the shift key. As I move from game to game I also have trouble remembering which die roller panels need to be opened for adjustment. I've taken to prefacing those global macro titles with "LOAD MACRO" as a reminder but I still end up backtracking sometimes.

- A dice roller panel setting that would automatically display the dice macro reference table if checked. Some rolls have long tables of modifiers and I always open the reference table to check the list. Just looking to reduce mouse clicks and speed things up.

- A dice roller setting to automatically close a reference table that is associated with the macro being closed. Or maybe just close it automatically. When I'm done with the macro and dismiss it, I'm done with the reference table too.

- When rerolling a dice roll, bring the associated reference table to the foreground. Now when I reroll a macro the results screen pops to the foreground and I have to click on the reference table in the background to view it.

- Some dice rolls always have follow up rolls to complete the resolution process. For example, you roll to determine the number of hits a target takes, then roll a different macro to determine damage. Would be nice to be able to select the follow up dice roll macro from the first dice roll display. Maybe the second macro could be selected in the dice roller panel of the first macro and then show up as a button in the result screen of the first macro.

I have no idea how difficult any of this would be and there may be very good reasons that I'm not aware of for the way it is now. Just thought I'd kick these out while I was thinking about them. Thanks for listening!

heruca
Developer

Re: BGE Dice Macro Thoughts

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:38 pm

rab46 wrote:Set default dice macro display behaviour in the dice roller panel. Some dice rolls are simple with no modifiers and I would like to go directly to the results screen. Other dice rolls always require that I open the dice roller to adjust the number of die and modifiers.
I am adding a feature to support these behaviors in BRPG v1.8a. If all goes well, the feature will eventually be added to BGE v1.4.

Thanks for posting those suggestions.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:14 pm

You are welcome. It's nice to have a developer that listens. I'm anxious to see what BGE 1.4 has to offer!