"Macromedia projector has stopped working"

gurgi
Soldier

"Macromedia projector has stopped working"

Post by gurgi » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:14 pm

I thought I was safe from the Windows 10 "Macromedia Projector has stopped working" issue, but tonight it died on 1.8c, which worked fine in September.

I tried it tonight as I just finished pledging on Kickstarter and realized I hadn't used it in a month or so. Anyway, so much for that.

I've tried all the ideas suggested in the other thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3634) about Windows 10 Update killing BRPG to no avail.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

- Greg

heruca
Developer

Re: "Macromedia projector has stopped working"

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:59 am

Does Win10 give you the option to roll back the system to just prior to the auto-update it apparently performed?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:02 pm

You might try disabling any antivirus software temporarily, just to quickly test to see if that allows BRPG to launch successfully.

Also try launching the app while completely offline, to see if the error still occurs.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

gurgi
Soldier

Post by gurgi » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:55 pm

heruca wrote:You might try disabling any antivirus software temporarily, just to quickly test to see if that allows BRPG to launch successfully.

Also try launching the app while completely offline, to see if the error still occurs.
Ok, sorry for long delay in reply. Trying again with 1.9 for kickstarter < Also sad about this failing to happen - :( >
Same results as with 1.8c

Antvirus off and safemde and offline suggestions.. no change in loading.. same crash on start.

However, finally got it to load with windows 98 compatibility mode - maybe.. When I select preferences to change to hexes from squares it goes into endless loop script error.

-Greg

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:59 pm

Surprised that Safe Mode didn't help. I hope the next Win 10 update comes out soon, and that it fixes this issue.

Haleth
Cannon Fodder

Post by Haleth » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:41 pm

Having this same issue, just installed it today, and added the patch to version 1.8c the new beta... still same result occurs. Was about to suggest this to my gaming group, as we are tired of Roll20's crashing on Fridays & Saturdays when we play... but if this can't be fixed, I can't even test it wondering if I should buy it.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:43 pm

Welcome, Haleth.

Do you have an Nvidia graphics card? If so, try updating to the latest drivers. I've heard from a couple of users where this ended up fixing the problem.

Haleth
Cannon Fodder

Post by Haleth » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Hello Heruca,

Very nice to meet you, I found BRPG thru backing your new program, Map Forge... can't wait till that comes out, congrats on your new invention.

BRPG seems perfect for my group, but still can't get around this launching problem. My computer's Nvidia drivers are up to date, still not working.

I've also tried the going into Setting, and doing the DEP fix, restarting, and again no change.

Very frustrating as I am chomping at the bit to tell my group, I found us a replacement for Roll20, and your You Tube videos are so enticing, but again

can't launch this... going to try safe mode, but feel that is not something I want to do on a regular basis, or should have to... no offense.

Haleth
Cannon Fodder

Post by Haleth » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:01 pm

SAFE MODE WORKS!

And I love your program. But I need this to work in normal mode if I am going to pay for it... I'm sorry.

Until this issue is fixed, I can't recommend it. Which is sad, cause it's amazing... :(

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Completely understandable.

This is still being investigated. The issue affect many apps created with the same authoring tool. Will keep this thread updated if a solution is found.

Haleth
Cannon Fodder

Post by Haleth » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:05 pm

This seems related, but the original poster talked about a driver that doesn't exist, I think they got their number mixed up. They quoted the driver as 386... but I think they meant 368... but now windows 10 updates automatically to driver 375, and I have the current driver which is 378...

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2215749

They also seem to insinuate that Macromedia Projector got changed into Macromedia Director, which then got changed to Adobe Director, and is kind of on the " outs "... I am paraphrasing, but someone else suggested another program called Godot, further down in the thread. Maybe if the program switched to that as the flash renderer or what have you, this might be fixed? I don't see Nvidia caring a whole lot... truthfully. They only care about games. Hope that helps...

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:17 pm

Projector is just the name of an executable created with Director (which used to be called Macromedia Director, and later became Adobe Director).

Haleth
Cannon Fodder

Post by Haleth » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:18 pm

heruca wrote:Projector is just the name of an executable created with Director (which used to be called Macromedia Director, and later became Adobe Director).

Yes I understand that... but since Windows 10 doesn't recognize it for some reason, it may only come up as knowing it as what it is now, and then Nvidia crashes the dang thing...

Do you think if I used an older demo, that might still work?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:21 pm

No, but I think if you could roll back your computer to before the automatic windows update that broke things, you should be OK.

BTW, this all occurred BEFORE Director was discontinued, so it is not related.

Haleth
Cannon Fodder

Post by Haleth » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:22 pm

heruca wrote:No, but I think if you could roll back your computer to before the automatic windows update that broke things, you should be OK.
This is a brand new PC built maybe 2 months ago if at all, so when NVidia drivers were installed it was already past several drivers that affect Adobe director I believe. I've only updated it twice since building this...

I hope I'm not coming off combative, I really just want to use your program, and can't because of this conflict. I will wait then, hoping you can resolve it... cheers.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Haleth wrote:
heruca wrote:No, but I think if you could roll back your computer to before the automatic windows update that broke things, you should be OK.
This is a brand new PC built maybe 2 months ago if at all, so when NVidia drivers were installed it was already past several drivers that affect Adobe director I believe. I've only updated it twice since building this...
I don't think heruca is talking about the nVidia drivers; he's talking about Windows updates.
One of the Windows updates supposedly is what breaks it.
I'm using Win10 with an nVidia graphics card with no issues, but I tweaked my system not to automatically install windows updates, so I'm not sure which update breaks BG.
Haleth wrote:I hope I'm not coming off combative, I really just want to use your program, and can't because of this conflict. I will wait then, hoping you can resolve it... cheers.
No problem - we're happy to help you to try to fix it.
Unfortunately, updating the core Director version of BG is not an option at the moment since that project wasn't funded in the recent Kickstarter for it (though heruca might try to raise funding again down the road).

Haleth
Cannon Fodder

Post by Haleth » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:31 am

Ahhhh, thanks for clearing that up... yeah my Windows Updates I think are automatic, as I did not cherish the idea of reinstalling it when I built this system... ugh, had to it 4 times between my old pc and this one, to get old data off, and make sure on my end my problem was solved by a clean install, which it was... suffice to say, this machine is only 70 days old if at all... so perhaps somewhere in there, a Windows update also made it unlaunchable for me. I wonder why it does work in Safe Mode though...

I do hope a further patch up the line fixes this... I was just telling my group tonight, how much I loved your dice roller and the ability to make personal tables associated with the results. That's EXACTLY what I've been looking for... thank you again.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:21 am

No idea if this will work, but it may be worth a shot: try removing the Flash Asset xtra and QuickTime (QT6Asset) xtra from the Xtras folder. See if that allows it to launch. You might start getting script errors, but it might launch, and that would give us a clue as to whether Flash or QuickTime are the problem.

Haleth
Cannon Fodder

Post by Haleth » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:02 pm

heruca wrote:No idea if this will work, but it may be worth a shot: try removing the Flash Asset xtra and QuickTime (QT6Asset) xtra from the Xtras folder. See if that allows it to launch. You might start getting script errors, but it might launch, and that would give us a clue as to whether Flash or QuickTime are the problem.
It knew the Flash asset was removed... and launched with the same macromedia issue, and so I had to close it.

Then I placed it back, and it once again launched with the macromedia issue... so I hope that helps, the QT6 was not noticed so far...

Let me know if there's anything else, I'd be happy to try.

Haleth
Cannon Fodder

Post by Haleth » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:32 pm

By the way, I did some digging... the following 2 full versions did WORK for me... (though they were labeled beta)

BRPG v105a from Feb 14th, 2007 and BRPG v103 from Dec 25th 2006

Anything after that had the macromedia issue, and the very next version, v106 from March 6th, 2007 came up with this issue, I took a screen grab...

and would not launch...

IF this is helpful at all? Can either of those older versions be patched to a newer version? I mean with files that don't effect the execute files that somehow worked for me.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Those versions are a decade old. Interesting that they run, but no, they can't be updated.

The only thing of possible interest would be to compare the contents of the Xtras folder in an old running version and a new non-functioning version, to assist in determining if it is a specific Xtra that is causing it to fail.

It might not be an Xtra at all, it might also be a DLL.

I commend you on your enthusiasm, though.

B.O.B.
Soldier

Post by B.O.B. » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:10 pm

I can't get the application to launch at all anymore. Same error about the project has stopped working.
I have VS 2015 installed on my PC, so when the prompt came up I chose the debug option. This is what VS 2015 is saying:

Unhandled exception at 0x6906921A (Iml32.dll) in Battlegrounds RPG Client Edition.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x5C343237.

If there is a handler for this exception, the program may be safely continued.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:07 am

B.O.B.,

I'm afraid that info isn't helping me find a solution. Does BRPG launch for you in Safe Mode?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:12 am

You should also try running the app in Windows 98 compatibility mode.

B.O.B.
Soldier

Post by B.O.B. » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:16 am

Windows 98 compatibility mode worked.