"Macromedia projector has stopped working"

B.O.B.
Soldier

Re: "Macromedia projector has stopped working"

Post by B.O.B. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:01 am

So Win 98 mode is technically working but less then ideal. For instance, it has seemed to have lost my floating user license.
It is also giving me mondo grief about my maps that are > 4k. Before the app decided to completely stop working, it handled maps > 4k just fine.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:23 am

BRPG has never handled maps greater than 4000x4000 pixels well. The reason is that the Fog of War feature can't generate images large enough to cover the entire map.

Is your GM license unaffected? Odd about your Floating License being lost. It might be that Win 98 expects preferences files in a different location on your hard drive than Win 10 does. This forum thread contains the correct filepaths where prefs files should reside for BRPG to "see" them. You might try copying them over from the Win 10 location to the Win 98 location.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Xochi

Post by Xochi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:36 pm

Hi All,

Same issue so its just more of a confirmation at this time. Safe Mode works. Windows 98 compatibility sorta works (It likes to have script errors and just crash anytime I do anything like switch from square to hex.) So its currently unusable.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:19 am

Bummer! I was under the impression that it worked OK in Win 98 compatability mode. :(
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Xochi

Post by Xochi » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:36 am

Is there anything you'd like me to screenshot or test in order to aid you with this bug? I am always open to helping developers best I can.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:40 am

It's not really a bug on my end. Everything was working fine until a new version of an nVidia video card driver was pushed out via a Windows Update. It pretty much depends on them fixing the bug they introduced.

Xochi

Post by Xochi » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:51 am

Welp looks like its the waiting game for me.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 am

Try removing "ShockWave 3D Asset Xtra" from the "Xtras" folder and see if that allows the app to launch.

Another thing to try, which I am re-posting from another forum:
"Another solution I found:In the Nvidia control panel, in the tab Global Settings, CUDA GPU value, put to nothing, or uncheck the card you have."

I have also seen it suggested that installing an older nVidia driver (368.81) might allow Director-based apps to run.

NiteSite
Cannon Fodder

Post by NiteSite » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:38 am

heruca wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 am
Try removing "ShockWave 3D Asset Xtra" from the "Xtras" folder and see if that allows the app to launch.

Another thing to try, which I am re-posting from another forum:
"Another solution I found:In the Nvidia control panel, in the tab Global Settings, CUDA GPU value, put to nothing, or uncheck the card you have."

I have also seen it suggested that installing an older nVidia driver (368.81) might allow Director-based apps to run.
So putting it in windows 98 mode works BUT constant script errors and when you try to save anything the file name box is missing from the windows so almost not usable.

Removing Shockwave 3D Asset.x32 did let the program start but it would also give script errors and act funky.

My fix (so far) has been to going into the Nvidia control panel -> Manage 3d Settings -> Program settings -> ADD bgrpg to the list -> chose CUDA - GPUs and select none. No need to reboot at all.

so far that has worked for 2 sessions. I am hoping there is a fix for this. Running it without CUDA makes all menus blue and does not give it that 3D button look just flat blue rectangles.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Thanks for sharing your finding, NiteSite. That info should prove useful.

Is there any chance the save dialogue box IS appearing but UNDER the main window?

In Win98 mode, is it possible to choose another theme, perhaps one that makes the UI controls appear more visually appealing?

NiteSite
Cannon Fodder

Post by NiteSite » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:36 am

heruca wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:49 pm
Haleth wrote:
The save dialog box shows but the box where you type in the name that input box does not show up and cannot be selected I apologize for the confusion.

I want to update everyone in case you update the driver you may lose your settings. I just re-added the program and unchecked the the GPU to make sure the CUDA was set to NONE.

NiteSite
Cannon Fodder

Post by NiteSite » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:33 am

So the latest update for my nvidia card has cause the previous fix to stop working. Only the windows 98 option works now and it is very crippled. here is the error activity log:

Faulting application name: Battlegrounds RPG Edition.exe, version: 10.1.0.11, time stamp: 0x413ffc3a
Faulting module name: IML32.dll, version: 10.1.1.16, time stamp: 0x43e929aa
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000673f
Faulting process id: 0x1254
Faulting application start time: 0x01d34a78b7dfd951
Faulting application path: D:\BRPGv1_9_Win\Battlegrounds RPG Edition.exe
Faulting module path: D:\BRPGv1_9_Win\Xtras\IML32.dll
Report Id: 2f28ab36-8344-42f2-bf01-5459cbc35a3b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:09 pm

If IML32.dll is the culprit, here is a newer version of it (from Director 11). Throw it into your BRPG Xtras folder, then launch the app and see if anything improves.

No guarantees, as I don't even know if it's compatible, but it's worth a shot.
Attachments
iml32.zip
(344.83 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:15 pm

Not sure how reputable this site is, but it mentions some steps to get that DLL to work in 64-bit Win 10. If you're feeling adventurous...

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:06 am

heruca wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:09 pm
If IML32.dll is the culprit, here is a newer version of it (from Director 11). Throw it into your BRPG Xtras folder, then launch the app and see if anything improves.

No guarantees, as I don't even know if it's compatible, but it's worth a shot.
OK new dll error after I used the file you gave me. This time the app crashed but without the error screen it just opens and then closes in task manager.

Fault bucket 109212054327, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Battlegrounds RPG Edition.exe
P2: 10.1.0.11
P3: 413ffc3a
P4: DIRAPI.dll
P5: 10.1.1.16
P6: 43e92c9c
P7: c0000005
P8: 00082973
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA6F2.tmp.mdmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA7AE.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA7C3.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA7E3.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Battlegrounds RP_e744237dad394dd6427a664c1eee1b130c9e5ca_4ab214db_0b56ac31

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: c1479f6b-7338-466d-9e87-e5c40f602800
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 885fac4c2070698c6d36a55ef68ff7ff

NiteSite
Cannon Fodder

Post by NiteSite » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:32 am

Sorry last post was me. I don't know why it posted as Guest.

wcoar
Cannon Fodder

Post by wcoar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:39 pm

Hello,
I'm having the same problem here for the past two weeks. After attempting to start BRPG, I get the message that Macromedia Projector has stopped working. I have an Nvidia GTX 950 video card with the most current drivers. Here's what happened. Three weeks ago I dl'd BRPG 1.9 to demo, and I received the error message on first attempt to run. I read comments in this forum and online, then updated my Nvidia drivers but did not reboot my machine. I then attempted to run BRPG and it loaded and functioned perfectly. I closed BRPG and reopened it several times, and it loaded fine on each and every attempt. I thought the problem was fixed. I'm sure my computer was shut down and restarted before I attempted to use BRPG again, and the same problem occurred. I found that another Nvidia driver had been released on October 29, which I downloaded and installed. It fixed the problem again! No more Macromedia Projector error. I opened BRPG numerous times with no message or problems. I had a fearful hunch, though, so I rebooted and found that the dreaded error returned. I went into the Nvidia control panel and tried changing some settings, but nothing helped. I tried the IML.dll fix, but it did nothing to help. I turned off DEP for the BRPG executable, and it did nothing to help. The only way I can get BRPG to run is in Windows 98 compatibility mode. I'm pretty sure this problem is more universal than you realize, but most potential consumers won't take the time to tell you about it, they'll just use something else. BRPG would really suit my needs, but it's got to run decently before I'll shell out for it. Thanks for your time, I'm hoping there's a fix, because I'd very much like to use this great program.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Welcome, wcoar.

I find it interesting that the problem went away for a while, and on more than one occasion.

Nvidia is a very widespread video card manufacturer, so I have no illusions that this problem affects a small number of users or potential users. There seems to be, however, little or nothing I can do about it. I suspect developing a v2 with a newer version of my authoring tools would do the trick, but that seems like a slim and distant possibility.

Is Win 98 compatibility mode a show-stopper? Does it affect anything besides the aesthetics?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:15 pm

Is anyone having this issue with anything OTHER THAN a GeForce video card?

wcoar
Cannon Fodder

Post by wcoar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:16 pm

The Macromedia Projector error goes away right after installing new Nvidia drivers, but comes back immediately after rebooting. This is consistent. This is also occurring on my younger son's desktop equipped with a Nvidia GTX 970. My older son's desktop has an AMD RX 580, which runs BRPG fine, as does my daughter's Toshiba laptop with integrated Intel HD 5500 video.

I haven't used BRPG enough in Windows 98 compatibility mode to determine if it's crippled in any way, and I'm honestly very new to the demo. If I learn anything new, I will certainly forward the information. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!