Unable to open game file (*.BGE) with BGE.

Maroszek
Cannon Fodder

Unable to open game file (*.BGE) with BGE.

Post by Maroszek » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:11 pm

So a little bummed at the moment. I've been working on the ability to play "NUTS! - Final Version" with BGE for several days. Things have been going AWESOME...until today.

I booted up my computer and tried to open my file and BGE returns this: "Game file data is not valid. Aborting."

I am very disheartened at the moment...is there anyway to repair or recover a *.bge file?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Unable to open game file (*.BGE) with BGE.

Post by Omnidon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:08 am

Yes, battlegrounds save data is just a text file. If you send the encounter to heruca or post it here, there's a chance he'll be able to find the bug and repair it for you.
I too am willing to look at it, though heruca is much more likely the find the problem.

In the future, of course, I recommend you make periodic backups.

Maroszek
Cannon Fodder

Post by Maroszek » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:38 am

First off--thank you for the offer! And the reminder to save in multiple slots. Thankfully I had saved a day prior under a different name (funny enough by accident) so I didn't lose too much (phew!). I will start doing a "start of work", "end of work" rotation though just in case I screw something up.

I went back and thank goodness all my tables, charts, components are all still intact so the map itself isn't much of a loss. Looks like I only really lost the "Initiative" dice macros/Turn sequencer. I really think it's something I did while working through trying to get creative in the Turn Sequencer.

That said I'd only post the file here to learn what I did wrong (still convinced it was something in the Turn Sequencer), but if it's not too bad to look through I'll take a stab comparing the dead file to a healthy one to see if there's something I did wrong. Another thing I can think of is I had a LOT of notes per mini (I was using the notes as a character sheet of shorts). When I'd try and move a mini it would cause a pop-up saying couldn't load the notes file...but after the move it was just fine.

Anyway, thank you for the response. I'm back to saving reference sheets and learning the "NUTS!" system as I put it into BGE. I figure this map is a "learning map" that I intend to make as a template to quickly drop terrain in to match the generation system in "NUTS!" to create a map on the fly. I'm thinking somethings I'll be able to use the BGE/Turn Sequencer to track and it might be easier to also have a sheet (Excel, etc.) to have physically in front of me for my troops.

Thank you again!!!!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:21 am

Not sure why I didn't see this post before. :x

Definitely send me the "corrupted" BGE game file so I can take a look and fix it for you. Learning new things that can break a game file allows me to fix the issue in future BGE releases.

Keep in mind that BGE makes automatic backups (how many such backups is configured in BGE's Preferences panel), so usually all is not lost when something suddenly breaks. If a known-to-work backup suddenly experiences issues, it is most likely a recent tweak in the Turn Sequencer Settings file that caused the problem.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

okiefire
Cannon Fodder

Post by okiefire » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:10 pm

I'm having the same problem with mine. None of the autosaves will load, nor will any file I have created, and I can't even save and reload after just placing one component. Any help would be appreciated. This is quite frustrating, to say the least. Thanks.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:29 pm

Are you using BGE v1.7? When you first launch it, select "Session-Specific Settings > Antialias > On (or Off)". Then from the same submenu, select the option to save your settings permanently. This will hopefully make it so that your saved game files don't include VOID values, which makes them unloadable in BGE.

If you have an already- corrupted game file that you wish to restore yourself, open it up in a text editor and do a search-and-replace to replace all instances of "<void>" with a "1" (if you want antialiasing enabled) or with a "2" if you want antialiasing disabled).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

okiefire
Cannon Fodder

Post by okiefire » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:50 pm

I am using BGE v1.7. Should I go with v1.5? The file you gave me did load, but every component was a question mark. I tried to re-install them, but to no avail. At least now it appears I can save a file in progress. I'll let you know if I keep having the ?-mark problem on re-load. Thanks for your help. I really look forward to using this program as it will save a LOT of table space for solitaire games I have - if I can just figure it all out. :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:03 pm

Strange, you shouldn't be seeing the question mark (i.e. placeholder) tokens if you loaded the file in the same BGE installation (assuming you didn't use the Purge Media panel to wipe your imported media).

okiefire
Cannon Fodder

Post by okiefire » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:40 am

I replaced all the <void> markers with 1 in another file. That seemed to work. But it's still saving the <void> in my save files. Once I edit them out, I can get back to where I was OK. It's a bit of a pain to edit out 15 or so <void> markers, and it's not a very complex game file, yet. :)
I believe I've made the changes you suggested. The anti-alias marker is checked every time I start BGE. It's working better, just not the way it should, I think. Occasionally I get that macromedia lockup and have to restart, also. Thanks for your help. If there's something else I should do, please let me know.