Latest Windows 10 update breaks BPRG?

PellePlutt
Soldier

Latest Windows 10 update breaks BPRG?

Post by PellePlutt » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:58 pm

I have just updated Windows 10 with the latest update (rather it was Windows that decided to update!). Now I cannot start up BPRG (V1.9 and v1.8b). I get the error message that Macromedia Projector has stopped working. I have restarted the computer but the error still exists. BPRG was working fine just moments before the update.

Any ideas?

My advice is not to update until this has been fixed.
Macromedia stopped working.PNG
Error message after Windows 10 update
Macromedia stopped working.PNG (22.95 KiB) Viewed 6382 times

heruca
Developer

Re: Latest Windows 10 update breaks BPRG?

Post by heruca » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 pm

Do you have an overclocked CPU? If so, dial it down back to normal speed and see if the problem is gone.

Do you have Apple's QuickTime for Windows installed? (likely, if you have iTunes installed). If so, you might try uninstalling QuickTime and trying BRPG again.

Also, try rebooting in "safe mode/clean mode" (meaning no startup programs), then see if BRPG launches OK.

One more thing to try: Right click on the desktop, settings, advanced, troubleshoot, and set the hardware acceleration to none.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:50 pm

:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

PellePlutt
Soldier

Post by PellePlutt » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:10 pm

heruca wrote:Do you have an overclocked CPU? If so, dial it down back to normal speed and see if the problem is gone.
No, I have not (intentionally) overclocked the CPU.
heruca wrote:Do you have Apple's QuickTime for Windows installed? (likely, if you have iTunes installed). If so, you might try uninstalling QuickTime and trying BRPG again.
No, none of these are installed. I have only installed a game, which I haven't played for a few months, and two pdf readers (Foxit Reader and SumatraPDF) and I think I have Java8 installed. The rest is standard Windows 10 Home install.
heruca wrote:Also, try rebooting in "safe mode/clean mode" (meaning no startup programs), then see if BRPG launches OK.
This option work!!! A bit of a pain to start up in "safe mode" but I can live with that. Troubleshooting this is more of a pain, though.
heruca wrote:One more thing to try: Right click on the desktop, settings, advanced, troubleshoot, and set the hardware acceleration to none.
I can't find this on Windows 10. I have searched through many layers of settings but to no avail.
This didn't fix my problem either.

:| Safe Mode seem to be my short term solution.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:34 pm

Did you try right clicking the BG shortcut or executable and selecting "Run as administrator" ?

If that works, you can set it to always run as administrator by right clicking shortcut -> Properties -> Compatibility tab -> check "Run this program as administrator"

PellePlutt
Soldier

Post by PellePlutt » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:58 pm

I will try that next.
At the moment I have stuffed up my system so badly it won't even start up any more. And all I tried to do was to start up in safe mode... I am looking forward to a clean install! :roll:

Btw, I also tried a clean install of BRPG but it wouldn't start either.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:14 pm

If you end up reinstalling Windows, you might want to set it to not auto-update when it feels like it.

This issue might well resolve itself with the NEXT Windows update. I'll post any development/news here.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:46 am

I read on another forum that using this old driver allows Director-made apps to run if you have an nVidia GeForce graphics card. If this resolves the issue for anyone, please let us know.

Danilo

Post by Danilo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:06 pm

I'm trying to install the demo so I could see the program but on win 10 it doesn´t install.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:33 pm

There's no installer. You just uncompress the zip file that you downloaded.

Do you instead mean it doesn't LAUNCH or RUN? If so, do you have an nVidia GeForce graphics card?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Anyone who can't get BRPG or BGE to run on their nVidia-equipped Windows PC, please try this probable fix.