Question regarding map size

Kazander
General

Question regarding map size

Post by Kazander » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:04 pm

Heruca, you may have already answered this somewhere, but I can't see it after some searching. Or, I'm missing an obvious answer because it's Sunday and my brain isn't fully operational on weekends. :-)

Since the maximum map size went up to 4000x4000 pixels, I'm curious why the maximum Grid Overlay size stayed at 2440x2440 (40x40 squares/hexes @ 61 pixels per square/hex), instead of going up to about 65x65 squares/hexes. This would be almost big enough for a full sheet capture from one of 0Ones' Blueprints maps, which is where I get most of my maps from.

I'd have less map subdividing, encounter creation, and mid-session map-loading to do if I had 65x65 maps instead of 40x40.

Just wondering....thanks.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:18 pm

I forget the specifics, but there was some sort of technical limitation in Director. It may not be the grid overlay which is imposing the limit, it may actually be the Fog of War layer (which, being vector-based, has its own limits, different from the 4000 x 4000 limit on bitmaps).

However, I am planning on a rewrite soon which should allow for larger maps. The trade-off is that FoW won't be available beyond a certain fixed size.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:23 pm

heruca wrote:The trade-off is that FoW won't be available beyond a certain fixed size.
For me, that's a limit not a trade-off. I don't really use maps without a FoW.

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:39 pm

FoW or larger map size...

Hard call for me to decide on, having larger area means I can put a full floor of a dungeon on one map, but without FoW the map would all be visible. But if the option is there at least then its a decision to make, instead of just limited map size. :D

Monk
Soldier

Post by Monk » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:19 pm

It's unfortunate you started the project in Director since right there you are limited to certain specs. FoW for a whole map I think is the selling point right there. I hope there is a solution with Director to make FoW work with 4000x4000 since I use CC3 and most of my maps are bigger than 2440 x 2440.

dorpond
Soldier

Post by dorpond » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:09 pm

Back in the day, long ago, when I was searching for my first VT, I first stumbled across BGRPG but was very frustrated that I couldn't use many of my maps because they were not a supported size or that the grid wouldn't size to them.

That was a huge issue for me at the time and still is. I want to be able to use any size map. If I have the RAM, then let me let loose.

Now a FOW limitation? Why have any limits? I just don't get it. Is Director really that limiting or is it the way it was approached in design?

Anyway, I think BGRPG would be 100% better if there were no limitations to the map sizes, grid sizes, and now FOW sizes. I think it would draw in more first time users.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Monk wrote:It's unfortunate you started the project in Director since right there you are limited to certain specs. FoW for a whole map I think is the selling point right there. I hope there is a solution with Director to make FoW work with 4000x4000 since I use CC3 and most of my maps are bigger than 2440 x 2440.
BRPG accepts maps up to 4000 x 4000 pixels, so there's no need to limit yourself to just 2440 x 2440. FoW still works with maps that large.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.