Turn Sequencer Question

Razmus
Cannon Fodder

Turn Sequencer Question

Post by Razmus » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:09 pm

Only two players in Chess... is it worth setting up the Turn Sequencer? Or should the players just keep track of who's turn it is? (I'm sure the Turn Sequencer will grow on me... but right now, I'm still struggling with it.) I'm not certain of the best way to configure the TS for something with very simple turns like Chess.

(What I have at the present time is a turn with two phases, for each of the players. I have the respective kings as the tokens on the turn sequencer, but I'm having some challenges controlling who is suppose to move first.)

(And I know BGRP doesn't specifically suppose multiple monitors, but I discovered by trial and error, if I put the TS on the second screen, the text shifts out of the window to the left, and I have no way to pull it back.)

heruca
Developer

Re: Turn Sequencer Question

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:42 pm

Razmus wrote:I'm not certain of the best way to configure the TS for something with very simple turns like Chess.
The Turn Sequencer is probably overkill and not really needed for a simple 2-player game like Chess, but you're pretty close to the correct configuration. You might define a value like "Order" using the Wizard, and have it sort by that value in ascending order. Then in the TS, assign a value of 1 to the white token, and a value of 2 to the black token. Presto! White goes first.

A simpler solution, which would allow you to play without the TS blocking your view of the board, is to create two text labels in any graphics app. One says "It is White's Turn", the other says "It is Black's Turn". Place the "It is White's Turn" label on the map as an object, set it to Free-Floating, Anti-alias, and owned by "Everyone". Then attach the "It is Black's Turn" label to it as a second token. Now either player can use the token-swapping hotkeys to state who's turn it is. Basically, when they finish moving, they swap the token, prompting the other player to take their move.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Re: Turn Sequencer Question

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:45 pm

Razmus wrote:I know BGRP doesn't specifically suppose multiple monitors, but I discovered by trial and error, if I put the TS on the second screen, the text shifts out of the window to the left, and I have no way to pull it back.
Can you elaborate, or post a screenshot? I'm not really sure what you mean by this.

If it's what I think you mean, just click on the "Token Name" label in the TS and it will force a refresh of the table.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Razmus
Cannon Fodder

Post by Razmus » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Hmm. I'd half assumed this was just going to be one of the issues I was going to have to live with having two screens. It looks normal if I leave the TS on my mail screen, but shifts, and now that I look at it, I lose options too...

(Now, if I just move it from one screen to the other, the change doesn't happen immediately -- something has to cause a redraw. Resizing the TS window is how I force it while testing.)

Oh. And I like the idea of just having two tokens on one object on the screen to denote who's turn it is. Brilliant. (And here I was questioning whether I should ask such a question, and now I'm glad I did. Thank you!)
Attachments
TSonScreen2.JPG
Turn Sequencer on secondary screen.
TSonScreen2.JPG (24.48 KiB) Viewed 6864 times
NormalTS.JPG
What my Turn Sequencer looks like on the main screen.
NormalTS.JPG (35.83 KiB) Viewed 6864 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Weird.

Is your 2nd display treated as an extended desktop of the first display? In your display configuration panel in Windows, is the 2nd display located to the left or to the right of your primary display?

Razmus
Cannon Fodder

Post by Razmus » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:49 pm

heruca wrote:Is your 2nd display treated as an extended desktop of the first display?
I want to say yes, but I don't know of any way to use the second display not as an extended desktop.
In your display configuration panel in Windows, is the 2nd display located to the left or to the right of your primary display?
The second display is configured to the left of my main display. And because you asked the question, I just tried configuring the second display to the right, and the problem completely disappears.

- Change the display while BGRP was running - putting the TS on second display, problem doesn't occur while the second monitor is configured to the right.
- Changed back to my second display on the left, confirm problem was still there.
- Changed the display to second monitor on the right while BGRP was not running - put the TS on the second monitor, and the problem does not occur.
- Changed it back while BGRP was not running, and problem still occurs while my second monitor is on the left.

I could rearrange monitors to get around this problem, but it would probably take most of a weekend to accomplish. It isn't catastrophic. But as you said. Weird.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Razmus wrote:
heruca wrote:Is your 2nd display treated as an extended desktop of the first display?
I want to say yes, but I don't know of any way to use the second display not as an extended desktop.
Heh, good point, since it's pretty obvious you weren't running the display in mirroring mode.

One thing that might be worth a try is editing the "TSPrefs.txt" file so that the last number is a 2 instead of a 1. Save the file, then launch BRPG.

Razmus
Cannon Fodder

Post by Razmus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:44 pm

I don't seem to have a TSPrefs.txt.
Should this be in the Preferences directory, or maybe Turn Sequencer Settings?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:56 pm

Those prefs are stored elsewhere on your system.

Here is where the preference files are stored on Mac OS X:
[YourUserFolder]:Library:Application Support:Macromedia:Director MX 2004:Battlegrounds RPG Edition:Prefs:

In Windows, the preference files are stored in an invisible folder located here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Macromedia\Director MX 2004\Battlegrounds RPG Edition\Prefs\

(Replace "Administrator" with your windows account name. That's a hidden folder so you may have to adjust your folder viewing options).

Razmus
Cannon Fodder

Post by Razmus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:29 pm

Ah, thank you.
When I move the the TS to the second screen and resize the window, I can see it attempt to put down the upper row of column names, pause for most of a second (so in the example before " Max Current Basic" appears in roughly the correct places) then the screen returns to what I've been seeing on the second monitor all along.

david.steele
Sergeant

Post by david.steele » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:24 pm

I am having this issue as well. I will try the suggested edit soon. What does making that change actually tell the program to do?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:31 pm

If I recall correctly, it's supposed to tell the program to use the 2nd display's screen coordinates for something-or-other. Sorry for the vagueness, it's been a while.