A question of size

fb66
General

A question of size

Post by fb66 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:31 am

I made a map using some grapihic software and saved it as a jpeg image of 596kb. i loaded it into battlegrounds and it was great so i made a media bundle to distribute to the players. the media bundle came out at 13 megabytes. for an encounter with just a 596 kb map.
Is that right?
I was hoping to reduce the size of the media bundles i am sharing. The previous bundles were of maps created with BG made up of tiles and objects and they came out at 18meg on average. these would be a background map and a large number of sizable hires objects etc.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:42 am

When a map or other graphic is imported into BRPG, it loses any JPG compression it may have had. If you want to reduce the size of your media bundles, I suggest you use server-based maps, which are not included in a media bundle.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Piraticus
Sergeant

Post by Piraticus » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:24 pm

I am encountering the same problem and I really hope that there is a way to work around this, as I like to create all of my own maps, objects, figures, and portraits. The loss of compression is going to be a HUGE deterrent from running a game where you create most of your own resources. Please help. There has to be an economical way around this.

I see there is a way to load server based maps, but is there a way to load server based objects and figures. That's the real kicker here.

Piraticus
Sergeant

Post by Piraticus » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:42 pm

Also, just to work around the technical difficulties for now so that one of my players and I can playtest and "learn" this program, I uploaded all of my self-made assets to my ftp server and had her download each asset into the exact subfolders they need to go in, Objects, Figures, Portraits, etc. However, when I went to load my encounter, which incorporated all of these, it is still trying to "transfer map". What gives? We just want to get inside and playtest BRPG, but this is becoming increasingly frustrating. We are getting nowhere here.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:32 pm

Piraticus wrote:I see there is a way to load server based maps, but is there a way to load server based objects and figures. That's the real kicker here.
Figures and objects typically don't take up a lot of space or bandwidth, so they can be distributed to players via peer-to-peer transfer without much delay. The maps are the only real issue.

Server-based maps transfer at least 10 times faster to players, and I recommend using them whenever possible.

Exporting media asset bundles for each Encounter and pre-distributing them to your players is also recommended.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Piraticus
Sergeant

Post by Piraticus » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:58 pm

Something must be wrong then, because I was using the lush grass map which comes with brpg. Not a map of my own creation.

The only thing that was mine were the objects, figures, and portraits. And this was just a minor test thing that incorporated two object .pngs, two figure .pngs, and two portait jpegs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:51 pm

Piraticus wrote: I uploaded all of my self-made assets to my ftp server and had her download each asset into the exact subfolders they need to go in, Objects, Figures, Portraits, etc. However, when I went to load my encounter, which incorporated all of these, it is still trying to "transfer map". What gives?
If the player didn't actually import said media into BRPG (e.g., load a given map), simply having the assets in the same relative folder locations isn't going to achieve anything.

Also, this approach seems to be far more work than having the player simply import a media bundle, where everything is automated for you.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:55 pm

Piraticus wrote:Something must be wrong then, because I was using the lush grass map which comes with brpg. Not a map of my own creation.
The standard "Grass" map comes pre-imported in every BRPG client. The "Lush Grass" map does not, therefore a peer-to-peer map transfer will automatically occur (unless the player were to load this map manually prior to joining your game session).

Also, those grass maps are pretty humongous in uncompressed form, because practically every pixel in the image varies. So a p2p transfer of it would take longer than normal.

Piraticus
Sergeant

Post by Piraticus » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:18 pm

Okay, now that makes me feel A LOT better! I had no idea that was the issue, as I thought she would have the lush grass map in her BRPG too! I thought that for some reason, it was freaking out on my figures and objects.

*gets excited again/crosses fingers for the next attempt*