A couple questions about using BG with Advanced Heroes Quest

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:16 pm

Ok let me see if i can explain better what im trying to accomplish lol. So when playing AHQ the 40x40 grid will fill up fast or run off one side of the map fast depending what way the dungeon is generated, So thats why i was wondering if i can make one big map out of a bunch of grids so i dont have to load up a new grid everytime, cause im sure if i do it by loading up a new grid everytime the dungeon goes off the map, there is a good chance that the dungeon will overlap itself somewhere without me realizing it. Or i could use the grid itself to make the dungeon pieces if thats what you ment? I hope this makes sense.

Zabith

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:13 pm

I think you might be best off using the grid to modify your dungeon tiles in a graphics app. Since it's just a stand-alone PNG, you can place it in a layer over your dungeon tiles using GIMP, Photoshop, Paint.net, or whatever other graphics app you prefer. Save the combo as a PNG, BMP, or JPG, place it in your "Objects" folder, and import it into BRPG. In BRPG, you can treat the map window as a more or less endless canvas, as far as the snap-to-grid feature is concerned. So you should never run out of space.

Out of curiosity, does this game really require a physical table much bigger than 4-5 feet square? Is it common to run out of table when playing this face-to-face?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Oh ya many game sessions we used to have we would always run out of space, so usually the players would vote on a mapper and needless to say we went through alot of graph paper hehe.

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:41 pm

So i installed GIMP, so if i line up the dungeon tile with the grid png in gimp will it line up with the grid in the map window when i import it ?

I also noticed that the dungeon tiles that i got in the component dungeon map pack 1 do not line up with the grid in the map window, is there a faster way to line them up so they sit exactly on the map grid or do i need to do all those fine adjustments with the horizontal and vertical offsets?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:32 pm

Zabith wrote:So i installed GIMP, so if i line up the dungeon tile with the grid png in gimp will it line up with the grid in the map window when i import it ?
Probably not. The grid is probably resized to 100 pixels per square, and BRPG expects objects to be 122 pixels per square. I suggest your first step is to resize the grid to 122 pixels per square, and then use that as your overlay.

Zabith wrote:I also noticed that the dungeon tiles that i got in the component dungeon map pack 1 do not line up with the grid in the map window, is there a faster way to line them up so they sit exactly on the map grid or do i need to do all those fine adjustments with the horizontal and vertical offsets?
You may find it faster to simply disable Snap-to-Grid when placing the dungeon tiles, and before setting each piece to "Tile" in BRPG, nudge it with the [Spacebar + Arrow] hotkey to position it exactly where you want it.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

MadWelshWizard
Sergeant

Post by MadWelshWizard » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:32 pm

That's how I do it, I leave the grid in BRPG on to help with lining things up and turn "snap to" off :)

AH plays really well in BRPG.

C.
Attachments
AH - In Progress.jpg
AH - In Progress.jpg (105.61 KiB) Viewed 12407 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:57 pm

Looks like someone beat you to it, Zabith! :lol:

Looks great, MadWelshWizard.

By the way, there's a neat new feature coming in v1.6L that should make building layouts out of component pieces (such as the Dungeon Component Pack") much easier and faster.

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:23 pm

That is very cool, im still trying to get the hang of things im finding putting the pieces down for me slow atm and have a bit of troubles with the doors also how do you get the dice on the board like that?

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:31 pm

Hey MadWelshWizard how do you handle when the players find stairs down do you open a new encounter for a new level ?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Zabith wrote:how do you get the dice on the board like that?
With this free artpack.

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Ah very nice :) will it work with dice macros ? which is a sweet feature for tables and charts btw :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:48 pm

No, "map dice", as I sometimes call them (to differentiate them from the dice in the Dice Roller window), do not have any automation, except for the option of displaying a text message when a certain die face comes up after a roll.

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:43 pm

I have yet another question, i downloaded a monster art pack from dundjinni where do i put the file and also if i draw my own do they go in the same place ? Thanks.

Zabith

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:00 pm

You probably want to put the monster in BRPG's "Figures" folder. But don't nest folders in there more than one level deep, and don't put more than 255 PNGs in a single folder.

I wrote a nice User Manual that answers all sorts of questions like this, by the way. :roll:

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Hi again been away for awhile, so here is my first attempt at making a map for BRPG with CC3/DD3 couldn't wait for dundjinni hehe. This is probably going to be the pathway from town towards the begining of the dungeon, once i work on the map a bit more and learn CC3 better. Im sure i could also get the resolution better to. :)
Attachments
first map.jpg
first map.jpg (595.42 KiB) Viewed 12383 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:36 am

That looks pretty darn good, Zabith.

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:58 am

Thanks :) havent really had much time to work on maps with my wife being sick and all,but ive been touching up the map a bit and even have some fog that makes a nice effect to the map :D ill post it when im done and you can let me know what you think. Thanks again.

Zabith

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:44 pm

I touched it up a bit and added a little fog, I also tried to make a pond hehe, but its a WiP. :)

Zabith
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (566.64 KiB) Viewed 12343 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Very nice. I like that you placed the fog as an object in BRPG, so that it covers the minis. Are you still able to select the minis under the fog?

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:06 pm

Ya i forgot to mention that, i can select the minis when i lock the fog but it will not let me open the contextual menu by right clicking, i either have to move the unit out of the fog first or tile the fog so i can open up the menu. Would be great if i could click the mini and hit a hotkey to open the contextual menu. Thanks

Zabith

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Here is a little sample of an map bundle im putting together,still need to work on the shadows a bit but so far so good :)
Attachments
Art Bundle Sampler.jpg
Art Bundle Sampler.jpg (396.43 KiB) Viewed 12320 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Cool.

So, what's your impression of CC3 and it's learning curve?

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:33 pm

Well since ive only been using CC3/DD3 for less than a week i would say that it has a bit of a learning curve, there's still alot i need to figure out and the interface is a bit clunky but not to bad. My map pieces above arnt the greatest i know but im picking it up rather fast and i know CC3 can produce great looking maps. As time goes on im sure ill produce some great maps myself, and hey maybe i can make some free art packs for you to post here for BRPG :)

Zabith

Zabith
Sergeant

Post by Zabith » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:15 pm

Hey again :), so i was watching the tutorial about setting up the turn sequencer and when it got to the part with the manor guards i noticed the mouse over on one of the guards opened up a little window off to the right with some stats, now is this the unit notes, or is it a potrait ?
I want to use unit notes for inventory ect.. but on mouse over i dont want it centered above the unit but off to the side, is this possible and if so how do i do it ? Thanks

Zabith

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:21 pm

The stat block you saw for the guard was a Portrait image, not Notes.

I recommend using the Notepad for inventory tracking.

There is no way to make unit Notes appear other than where they currently appear (over the unit).