My group wants to buy this product but...

Kethoth
Cannon Fodder

My group wants to buy this product but...

Post by Kethoth » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:14 am

We are having a hard time connecting to each other.

We all have the trial version downloaded. Is the problem that these versions don't count as a 'GM' version?

I am inclined to think that this is a port forwarding issue, which is like so much witchcraft to me.

I have a group of 6 guys who want to buy this thing and play DND again, but unless one of the development team can point me to a reasonable work-around for this port-forwarding issue (one that doesn't cost another 29.95, by the way; we have looked at suggestions on these forums), I think we'll pass.

Suggestions?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: My group wants to buy this product but...

Post by Omnidon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:46 am

Kethoth wrote:We all have the trial version downloaded. Is the problem that these versions don't count as a 'GM' version?
The trial version can host for 45 minutes. That's not the issue here.
Kethoth wrote:I am inclined to think that this is a port forwarding issue, which is like so much witchcraft to me.
Yeah, the host computer (and only the host) needs some port forwarding if it is behind a router.
Here is the FAQ thread about Port Forwarding:
viewtopic.php?t=174

You're welcome to find me on IMs if you want. My contacts are in my profile.
Kethoth wrote:unless one of the development team can point me to a reasonable work-around for this port-forwarding issue
heruca will be along soon to help too I'm sure.
Kethoth wrote:(one that doesn't cost another 29.95, by the way; we have looked at suggestions on these forums)
I don't think the threads you were looking at have anything to do with your connection issue.

With the proper port forwarding, everyone should be able to connect using the trial, and in the long run you only need one license per person to play via internet. (1 GM license per group and 1 player license or floating license for each player other than the GM)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:41 am

Welcome, Kethoth.

It is most likely a port-forwarding issue.

Are you the person attempting to host the game? Are you on Mac or Windows? Are you on a wired or wireless connection?

I don't recall ever having recommended a commercial program as a work-around to port-forwarding problems. At most, I have suggested GMs use the free VPN client called Hamachi, for the rare cases where the host has no way to port-forward, such as in a hotel room while traveling, or in some college dorms.

If you can't figure out how to set up port forwarding after viewing the instructions that Omnidon linked you to, let me know and I will try to help you.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Gussy
Cannon Fodder

Post by Gussy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:14 am

Hello, I'm the one in this gaming group trying to host.

Heruca, I see you're in Buenos Aires, and as it happens, so am I. (The rest of my group is back in Canada.)

I'm trying to host using my MacBookPro connected through an AirPort Extreme Base Station connected to a Fibertel modem.

I've looked at the various threads regarding this problem here, and elsewhere. I tried disabling all other network services, removing the router, plugging straight into ethernet, disabling OSX's firewall, and enabling all file sharing preferences.

Nothing.

Or at least, I can connect just fine. Just no one can connect to me.

When my buddies back in Canada try to host with their Windows machines, they can't get it going either.

I've been reading down a thread on Apple's help forums about port forwarding. However, it deals mostly with the previous version of the OS (I'm running 10.6.5) and the advice seems to now be obsolete as Apple has changed the way the firewall and network settings are managed.

I've also tried configuring the base station's NAT settings to forward port 1626 for Battlegrounds. But this doesn't play nice with the Fibertel modem and ends up preventing any connection to the internet.

What gets me is that when I plug in straight via ethernet, and disable all my other network services and disable the firewall entirely, and follow all the advice on this thread and this thread, I seem to be able to connect just fine and get no error messages or anything. Just no one can find me.

heruca wrote:Welcome, Kethoth.

It is most likely a port-forwarding issue.

Are you the person attempting to host the game? Are you on Mac or Windows? Are you on a wired or wireless connection?

I don't recall ever having recommended a commercial program as a work-around to port-forwarding problems. At most, I have suggested GMs use the free VPN client called Hamachi, for the rare cases where the host has no way to port-forward, such as in a hotel room while traveling, or in some college dorms.

If you can't figure out how to set up port forwarding after viewing the instructions that Omnidon linked you to, let me know and I will try to help you.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:42 am

Welcome, Gussy.

Apple's Airport Base Station always seems to be a pain to get it set up properly to allow incoming connections, and I'm pretty certain that it is the cause of your problem (that others can't connect).

I don't have an ABS to test with, so I hope that someone with a properly-configured ABS reads this and can provide some assistance regarding the correct settings to use.

I know that Fibertel doesn't block peer-to-peer connections, so we can rule that out, and you shouldn't need to configure anything on the router they gave you. Is it a Motorola SURFboardcable modem, by the way?

Are you sure you are giving your players your external IP address and not your internal IP address? Click the "IP" button in BRPG's Chat window to find out your external IP address.

Where in Buenos Aires are you? I'm in Belgrano.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Gussy
Cannon Fodder

Post by Gussy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:12 pm

Well, like I said above, last night I took the Airport off entirely and was just using ethernet to go from my MacBookPro to the modem and then out to the world, with my firewall off and Battlegrounds broadcasting out, essentially, on port 1626. And my friends couldn't see me.

I am using a Motorola Surfboard cable modem from Fibertel, yes. And I've had no issues with peer-to-peer before either.

I was giving my friends the external IP as stated by Battlegrounds when I clicked the "External IP" option.

This is the odd thing. From my end, everything should be working 100% fine. And indeed I have no errors or other issues. The only thing is that my friends cannot see me, can't even ping my IP address.

It is frustrating. By all accounts this should be working.

Heruca, I am up in Martinez which isn't all that far from Belgrano. If we can't get this to work I am willing to bring my laptop to you and pay you good money to fix this problem, because I am stumped as to why it isn't working.

I've been playing D&D with these guys for 15 years (and they've been playing it together for 25 years) and we really want to make this work. We're pretty confident Battlegrounds can make the geographic divide between Canada and Argentina go away so we can keep playing together, but we just need this connection to work.
heruca wrote:Welcome, Gussy.

Apple's Airport Base Station always seems to be a pain to get it set up properly to allow incoming connections, and I'm pretty certain that it is the cause of your problem (that others can't connect).

I don't have an ABS to test with, so I hope that someone with a properly-configured ABS reads this and can provide some assistance regarding the correct settings to use.

I know that Fibertel doesn't block peer-to-peer connections, so we can rule that out, and you shouldn't need to configure anything on the router they gave you. Is it a Motorola SURFboardcable modem, by the way?

Are you sure you are giving your players your external IP address and not your internal IP address? Click the "IP" button in BRPG's Chat window to find out your external IP address.

Where in Buenos Aires are you? I'm in Belgrano.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:18 pm

Two quick questions:

1) Are you sure the players are trying to log in with the same version of BRPG (e.g., v1.4i, v1.6L, etc.) that you are hosting in?

2) Are you sure that they aren't trying to log in with the same username that you are using to host the game session.

I don't think these are necessarily the cause of your problem, but they are easy enough to rule out, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention these possible pitfalls.

Gussy
Cannon Fodder

Post by Gussy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:49 pm

I have no idea. I'll have to ask them. I downloaded v1.4i and have assumed they did likewise.

We're going to be trying again tonight at 22h00 (BsAs time; 8pmEST.) I'll be hosting again and see if they can connect. If you have a spare minute, I'll PM you my email and the server details and maybe you can try and connect as well.

heruca wrote:Two quick questions:

1) Are you sure the players are trying to log in with the same version of BRPG (e.g., v1.4i, v1.6L, etc.) that you are hosting in?

2) Are you sure that they aren't trying to log in with the same username that you are using to host the game session.

I don't think these are necessarily the cause of your problem, but they are easy enough to rule out, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention these possible pitfalls.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:07 pm

Gussy wrote:I'll be hosting again and see if they can connect. If you have a spare minute, I'll PM you my email and the server details and maybe you can try and connect as well.
Please do. I expect to be available for testing at that time.

Gussy
Cannon Fodder

Post by Gussy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:28 am

Thanks to Heruca's help this issue has been resolved for me. The culprit was my Motorola modem's hidden built-in wifi & firewall. Turned it off, and all works perfectly now.

Just need to see if Kethoth's issues on his end are resolved, and we should be good to buy and play.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:04 am

Interesting. The surfboard modems we are given here in the states have no firewalls or any router functions whatsoever for that matter.

Congrats on getting it fixed though. ;-)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:06 pm

Turns out that his was a wireless model, unlike my ethernet-only model.

I'd think firewalls on any wireless modem would be a must-have feature, no?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:40 pm

heruca wrote:I'd think firewalls on any wireless modem would be a must-have feature, no?
True. His modem clearly has a built-in router. My ISP never offered me that feature! :evil:

Not that I would've wanted to use their piece of junk anyway. :roll:
I love my Linksys router with custom firmware.