A couple of questions from a prospective purchaser ...

CidCal
Cannon Fodder

A couple of questions from a prospective purchaser ...

Post by CidCal » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:07 am

I am interested in acquiring the GM license and the five floating licenses bundle (and possibly a couple of art packs). As this is a quite significant investment, I would like to ask a couple of questions before going ahead:

1) is it possible to roll to the GM without the player actually seeing the result of the roll? I.e. Player A enters a room, the GM asks the player to roll to see whether he notices anything. Player A rolls but will not see the result, only the GM sees the result. I tried to set this up during the trial yesterday, but couldn't figure it out. Is this possible?

2) when providing visual aids to players, is it possible for players to have more than one visual aid open at the time? Or is there some other way for players to close images etc. and to call them back up at a later stage without the GM having to send them again? (This is not really critical but would be nice to have).

3) if I play with several maps, is it possible to leave one map, play on another map and then return to the original map with the original map being in the same state as when it was left? Is it possible to have several maps open at the same time?

4) I noticed in the trial version that, when I give ownership of a token to a player, the player can set the "Enhanced Night Vision". Now, I would, of course, never suggest that one of my players would ever exploit this :? but I'd rather have that only the GM has access to settings like that. I know these options can be modified through the associated .txt file but I couldn't find any option there to "switch off" this setting for players. Was this fixed since the trial version (or am I just too stupid to figure it)?

5) finally - and this is not as important to me as the points above - is it possible to include player character stats with a player token?

Apologies if I posted this into the wrong forum or asked questions that were long answered - please forgive me!

Thanks for your replies and help !!!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:37 pm

Welcome, CidCal.

1. Technically, yes, it can be done. In practice, I doubt many people would bother. OK, here's how the GM would do it:
A) Place a die object (see the free Dice artpack) in the map window, set the die's Owner to "Everyone", and have the player that will be making the roll select the die object.
B) Place something above the die object (say, a black square) to completely conceal the die.
C) Enable the "Use as a Screen" command on the masking object. Now only the GM can see the die; for everyone else, the die is hidden by the masking object.
D) Have the player roll the die (using the [Shift-R] hotkey).

2. You could attach any already-shown Visual Aid graphic to a tiny free-floating object tucked away somewhere unobtrusive, such that a player need only select it and cycle though all the visual aid images using the token-swapping hotkeys. The settings to use for this object are: owned by "Everyone", and "Use Current Token as Portrait".

3. Only one Encounter may be open at once, but you can, in some situations, include more than one map in an Encounter (you can place a map as an Object and set it to "Tile", as long as you don't need Fog of War on that map). If you will be swapping Encounters to go back and forth between maps, just make sure to do a "Save" on the current Encounter, or it won't be in its prior state when you load it back up later.

4. I believe the GM is warned in the Chat window if a player ever makes a change to their vision or light settings, to prevent possible cheating attempts. If this isn't working, please let me know.

5. You could track character stats in the Turn Sequencer, or type them into the unit's (tollTip-style) Notes, or attach a bitmap of a stat-block to a figure to use as a Portrait image.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:58 pm

Hmmm, re-reading my replies to questions 1, 2, and 3, I realize it might sound rather confusing to someone who is brand new to the software.

I would be happy to demo each of those things to you in a live session. Just let me know when is good for you.

Also, some of the methods I described only work using the latest beta releases, since they rely on new features not found in the "official" release (BRPG v1.4i).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

CidCal
Cannon Fodder

Thank you!

Post by CidCal » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:08 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply, heruca. It is much appreciated.

No worries, after having played around with Battlegrounds I think I have some idea of what you mean.

re 1) that process sounds quite cumbersome; so there is no possibility to implement this as a dice macro? I would love to have a function like that - it annoys me that, when you have players roll for perception and they fail, they know that something is going on. But I don't want to roll FOR them ... Any chance to implement this?

re 2) I will try that. Sounds good.

re 3) If encounter means a map that is played on, I think this does exactly what I would like to do.

re 4) Yes, there is a warning but by the time the GM gets this the player has already accidently activated it .... (I am not REALLY that paranoid) :roll:

re 5) Okay.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:21 pm

Regarding 1, if this is something that you will be doing regularly, you would only have to set it up once, then you can save the die and the cover graphic to a Deployment file. That would let you instantly bring it up in any future Encounter.

In any case, you are not the first to ask for this "secret roll" feature, so I will see if it's possible to implement in a future release.