New Purchase Question

Janzir
Cannon Fodder

New Purchase Question

Post by Janzir » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:01 pm

I have been looking at BGRPG and BGE, focus mainly on the RPG version. I am planning on running a Pathfinder campaign. To the best of what I gather, I can do this with either system. However, I do see some differences in file folders between the two versions.

I have ten players in my group. So the BGE with the 15 player seems to be the way to go, which leads me to wonder why BGRPG is still available and being developed; or at least why BGRPG doesn't have the same 15 player option that BGE does. Since this is the case, this tells me I'm missing something important between the two programs.

So, considering my focus is on running a Pathfinder campaign, what is the best program for the job, and why?

As an aside, how in the world do I make a river on one of the maps? I see it has been done, but I have no idea on how to make a windy river other than to place blue squares on the map, which is pretty poor for visuals.

Thanks!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:05 pm

Welcome, Janzir.

BGE lacks many features that most people want in an RPG game session. Rather than list them all again, take a look at this thread.

Technically, BRPG will take up to 15 Floating Licenses (or Player Client connections), but no one to date has needed nearly that many. I don't particularly recommend playing via virtual tabletop with more than around 8 players. It seems to me it would be too taxing for the GM (who has more than enough to do), and players could get bored waiting for their turn to come around again.

BRPG isn't really a mapping program. Most people use a dedicated mapping program like Dundjinni or Campaign Cartographer to make their maps, which they then import into BRPG. Or they find existing maps online or in PDFs and use those. Or they create their maps with whatever graphic app they have, be it Photoshop, Paint.net, Gimp, or whatever.

If you wanted to make a river directly in BRPG, they easiest way is to use one of BRPG's built-in drawing tools, set the color to blue and the line thickness as desired, and freehand-draw the "river" with your mouse or a trackpad. You could also use a tile-based set of graphics to lay out a river using component pieces, such as in the "Mapping Tiles Pack".
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Janzir
Cannon Fodder

New Post Question

Post by Janzir » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:26 pm

Thank you for the quick response. I was just looking for a way to add some more flavor to the game. We use a battlemat and miniatures now, but the battlemat doesn't provide very good visuals.

I already have to work at keeping things moving so the people don't get bored waiting for their turn. So there wouldn't be much difference there.

I thought I could make great use of the visual aids, too. There is so much available online to take advantage of that I wanted to put some of it to good use.

Thanks again for your assistance. I see all the reports of your amazing customer service hold true.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:45 pm

Here is a nice set of river tiles, for example.

The use of the Draw Tools I mentioned earlier is more akin to using dry-erase markers on a plastic battle mat. It ain't particularly pretty, but it's quick and gets the job done.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.