Copying files

Janzir
Cannon Fodder

Copying files

Post by Janzir » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:52 am

Is there any way to copy all the files from my desktop to my laptop without screwing up the license file?

I looked in the folders, but don't see where a specific license file is kept. I figured if I moved that file, did the copy and repasted the file in its proper place, the copy would be fine. Also, if I have a floating license on the laptop will there be multiple license files?

Thanks!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:10 am

The license file is specific to each computer (hard drive, actually), so even if you copied it over to the same relative location, it wouldn't work.

I suggest you just copy over the BRPG folder, and request to permanently move your license/s over to this new computer by emailing me the new computer's Challenge Code.

If you want to copy over your preferences files, look in this thread to see where to find them.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Janzir
Cannon Fodder

Post by Janzir » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Heruca,

Thanks for the response. I have the dual-license option for the desktop and laptop. I downloaded quite a bit of figures, objects, maps, portraits and such (plus I set up all my die macros) on my desktop that it would be quite a bit easier to copy the entire BRPG folder (at least in my mind :P ). But no worries. I'll just copy the specific folders over to the laptop and I think I should be fine. If I break something, I'll let ya know.

Thanks,

Janzir

Janzir
Cannon Fodder

Post by Janzir » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:13 pm

I just looked at the thread you posted. Since that is another folder entirely, then I'm thinking I can copy the program folder (c:\BRPG) and all of it's subfolders to the laptop without any issue. As long as I don't touch the folder with the license file and and preferences (the one listed in your thread) it should be fine?

Is my thinking correct?

Janzir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:17 pm

Like I said, just copy the entire BRPG folder, rather than the subfolders like "Figures", "Objects", etc.

Not only is it less work, but anything that you've already imported into the program will be in the "User Cast.cxt" file, so you won't need to do any batch imports, as you might if you were to start with a fresh BRPG installation.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.