Players can't join my game.

Lazarus
Soldier

Players can't join my game.

Post by Lazarus » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:44 am

Hosting a game but players can't join. Port-forwarding
If the GM uses a router (and in some cases a cable modem), he/she will need to
set up port forwarding in order to allow players to connect to their game session.
The GM should be able to successfully host a game session even if they havent
set up port forwarding, but if they havent set up port forwarding correctly,
players outside of their local network will not be able to connect.
Port forwarding should only affect whether other computers can connect to your
host or not.

How to do this? do i need to? :?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:24 am

If you have a router and players are connecting from outside your local network, then yes, you need to do this.

It's pretty easy to set up port forwarding. Take a look at this forum thread, which has instructions.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Lazarus
Soldier

This product is getting very irritating.

Post by Lazarus » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:19 pm

After the initial problems with setting up my Mac and now not getting connected with other players (still working on this) I have just tried to load an encounter that I spent a long time creating and I'm told 'Encounter data is not valid. Aborting.'
Is there a solution to this problem? The encounter size is 24kb and I opened and saved it numerous times yesterday with no problem but now I can't.
This has been a very difficult process to get what seems like a good product up and running. :(

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:55 pm

Email me the Encounter in question and I'll see if I can fix it and send it back.

Did you use the Notes feature, by chance? If so, and if you happened to include the quote character in a unit's notes, it could make the Encounter unloadable (but it's easily fixed with any text editor).

In the next release of BRPG, I'll see if I can disallow the use of double quotes in the Notes field, to avoid this happening. Single quotes are fine, though.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Lazarus
Soldier

Post by Lazarus » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:00 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Attachments
Praxis' Abode.bge
(20.07 KiB) Downloaded 191 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:09 pm

Yup, it was the double-quotes thing. On two separate occasions.

I've attached the fixed Encounter. It should load fine, now.
Attachments
Praxis' Abode.bge
(20.07 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:10 pm

Need any help testing for incoming connections? If so, PM me, or better yet, look for me in the BG Lobby.

Lazarus
Soldier

Post by Lazarus » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:15 pm

Should I download port map 1.3.1 from Macworld?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:18 pm

You shouldn't need to. I forget what that does, actually. Usually, one just needs to access their router's config screen via a browser, makes a couple of edits, and you're done.

Lazarus
Soldier

Post by Lazarus » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:23 pm

Ok i put my router IP address in the URL and found the router site but it's asking for a password which i don't know.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:33 pm

If it's never been configured with a unique password, try "admin" (sans quotes). If it has, I'm afraid I can't help you. Find out the password from whoever set it.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:40 pm

And if by chance "admin" works, change that to a real password ASAP.

Lazarus
Soldier

Post by Lazarus » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:19 am

Heruca thanks for being patient with me. I now have Hamachi and I'm hosting. my ext. IP address is 122.129.188.49
If you have a chance please try at some point to connect. Hoping to work this out before my game in 7 hours time.
Also the encounter works fine now. Thanks

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:30 am

I think Hamachi provides it's own IP address that I would use to join your session.