Toggle Drawing Tools On / Off

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Toggle Drawing Tools On / Off

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:11 pm

Is there a way to Toggle the Drawing Tools on for player use? Seems this feature only shows up in the Host View.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:43 am

No, there isn't. Draw tools are (currently, at least) only available to the GM/host.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:06 pm

Humm thought that would be the response..... Then (as suggested in a differing thread) there is LESS reason to set up the keyboard for player control in a Face to Face setting.
So as I see it, I (the DM) would still manage all aspects save move and rotate (if I can get a wireless pen to emulate a mouse). So there is no real purpose in setting second machine up to manage only moving from a keyboard if all the player can do to "support" is move.
:cry:
Is there some programing logic that decides the player shouldn't have access (via a check box as other tools are? or even better assigned as the tokens can be for ownership)? I can see where one would not wish to allow the players the ability to tamper with the map displayed, etc, but surely this could be tasked as an overlay of sorts?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:50 pm

The reason players currently can't use the drawing tools is more a technical one than a whim of mine. The draw objects and text labels are created and transmitted as bitmaps to connected clients. I need to run some tests to see if the current architecture can properly support transfer of media assets originating from a player rather than from the host/GM.

I will likely implement this in BGE first, and if it works, BRPG will get the feature too. For BGE, it would allow some types of boardgames to be played that currently can't be, such as games where you plan a route by connecting points with lines (e.g., train games).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Re: Toggle Drawing Tools On / Off

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:10 am

Bump... ressurect follow up--- any progress on this thread?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:15 pm

I've altered the code in BGE v1.6 to allow players to create draw shapes and text labels. Still need to test out the changes in a multiuser session.

If all goes well following the public release of BGE v1.6, the next release of BRPG will probably get this capability, too.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:07 pm

that works thanks for update
:)