Issuing Gaming

Devilfire
Soldier

Issuing Gaming

Post by Devilfire » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Background: I have a gm license with 3 floating licenses, using windows 7 and the standard 1.7d was my original install. Did not seem to have problem when tested the demo version with a friend.

Current situation:
I have 3 friends that join my session to play standard DND. Everything seems to be fine then suddenly, some issues occur as follows;

1) Turn sequencer stops working. the window remains and it shows blank spaces where the character info would be. i lose the step and roll initiative button in the window. I still get the step sequence on main screen, which if click it says who's turn it is next. I tried closing the window and reopening and tried removing everything from the sequence and re-adding to no luck.

2) Players begin to have problems with the dice macro window, not opening or freezing up. myself as the gm don't get this problem.

3) The first game session i loaded a map and it took a long time for the players to get the map over 30 minutes, and i had to keep clicking the force map option. So before the next session, i emailed an updated copy of the map (same file name). when i loaded the map on the tabletop, everyone saw the old copy, i used purge player map and it started downloading the map which froze for 2 of the 3 players. Am i doing something wrong or something?

Also I was looking at updating to the beta versions. do i need to do them in order or just the most recent version?

Thank you for any assistance.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Issuing Gaming

Post by Omnidon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:57 pm

Devilfire wrote:Also I was looking at updating to the beta versions. do i need to do them in order or just the most recent version?
heruca usually uploads both a full install and patches. If you get the full install from the beta thread you do not need to patch earlier versions. The current beta (1.8b) has a full install available:
http://battlegroundsgames.com/forums/vi ... php?t=3334

The beta versions are usually fairly stable and sometimes have fixes for annoying bugs, but just haven't been tested all that thoroughly for new bugs.

When you were having your issues did you or your players dismiss any Script Error or Director Error prompts? Often issues like you're describing can be traced back to a single bug that corrupted the session and caused other problems.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:08 am

Devilfire wrote:1) Turn sequencer stops working. the window remains and it shows blank spaces where the character info would be. i lose the step and roll initiative button in the window. I still get the step sequence on main screen, which if click it says who's turn it is next. I tried closing the window and reopening and tried removing everything from the sequence and re-adding to no luck.
I've never heard of this sort of issue before. Omnidon has suggested one possible cause for this odd behavior. Does relaunching BRPG resolve the issue? If it does not, I suggest we take a look at how you have configured the Turn Sequencer settings. A misconfiguration there could cause the code to fail silently (no error message) and lead to something like what you describe. Changes in the more recent beta releases could also help resolve this issue.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:09 am

Devilfire wrote:2) Players begin to have problems with the dice macro window, not opening or freezing up. myself as the gm don't get this problem.
This is something of a known issue. Please see the Addendum to the User Manual (PDF), available from the Documentation section of the Downloads page.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:14 am

Devilfire wrote:3) The first game session i loaded a map and it took a long time for the players to get the map over 30 minutes, and i had to keep clicking the force map option. So before the next session, i emailed an updated copy of the map (same file name). when i loaded the map on the tabletop, everyone saw the old copy, i used purge player map and it started downloading the map which froze for 2 of the 3 players. Am i doing something wrong or something?
I'll have to respond to this tomorrow.

Devilfire
Soldier

Post by Devilfire » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:20 am

I have downloaded the latest version and gotten everything transfered. And I did verify that my licenses were automatically picked up as well, which was nice.

I just booted the game up and the turn sequencer is still messed up. Then when I closed and reload the program again it showed up properly. I have a screen shot of what it looks like when it was messed up.

I should be having a gaming session this thursday night. I will be instructing all the players to download the latest version and we will see if we have any problems. If we do, I will or have them take screen shots and if there is any other log files i can create or get access to please let me know and i will post them.
Attachments
Sequencer View.jpg
Sequencer View.jpg (145.45 KiB) Viewed 7669 times
Last edited by Devilfire on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:23 am

Feel free to email me the attachments if you can't get them to upload here.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:25 am

Strange, your TS Settings work fine for me. The attached image shows what I see.

Have you tried adding units to the Turn Sequencer? What about resizing the TS window?

Are you running on a dual display system?
Attachments
TS Sample.png
TS Sample.png (41.94 KiB) Viewed 7661 times

Devilfire
Soldier

Post by Devilfire » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:31 pm

When the view goes to what i attached, i try to remove and add units and it does it as lines pop up and are removed, but still only see the two columns and don't gain the buttons back. I also still get the step sequence on the main screen which if i click it says the units turn that it steps too.

I do run dual monitors and usually put the sequencer on the opposite monitor of where the main screen is. i read the other post regarding that, and next time i have a session am gonna keep it on the main monitor.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:44 pm

Does the Turn Sequencer look and behave correctly if you launch BRPG while only a single display is connected?

If so, you might want to try reversing the relative positions of the displays (in the Windows control panel, not physically), so that the left monitor is on the right and vice versa.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Sorry for taking so long to respond regarding your map transfer issues. This seems to be a common occurrence for many BRPG users, so I've finally found the time to write up a stickied thread on how best to deal with map transfers, outlining the four most common methods and describing the pros and cons of each method. Please read it here.