Object Errors and Media Asset Bundle issues

TRIAD4Evr
General

Object Errors and Media Asset Bundle issues

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:19 pm

I am running into a new error- when I place an object, and then copy it and place the copy, editing either of them seems to edit both of them, and they are causing the resulting Media Asset Bundle to not be properly recognized for my players. It mostly seems to be objects with a number in the name, but even after changing the name, the resulting Media Asset Bundle seems not to be valid.

heruca
Developer

Re: Object Errors and Media Asset Bundle issues

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:42 am

What version of BRPG is this happening in?

What is the exact filename of the media asset?

Did you purge the old media from BRPG after renaming the graphic and reimporting it?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:51 am

It's on 1.8c

It was several different art assets- and I changed the name when placing them as an object- rather than using the art file name for the object name, I removed all of the numbers. I will get you the precise names of the assets when I get to my home computer. I did not purge and re-import because I didn't change the art file asset name.

I will get you more specifics later on when I get home.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:08 am

"racking_ready_sc 2" is one of the specific pieces of art that is doing it- when I edit the horizontal or vertical offset on one, it does it on the other. I can't seem to recreate the issue with the Media Asset Bundle being invalid... which is odd, since I was able to do it a couple of times the other night when I was playing. The media asset bundle this particular item is in is called "King Pawn". I was able to recreate the error with a different file, though, but in this case, I don't know what asset specifically is the problem. I have attached it.
Attachments
Grayfolk General Updated.cxt
Error on importing assets- says it's not a valid Media Asset Bundle.
(6.34 MiB) Downloaded 228 times
King Pawn.cxt
No error on importing assets, but duplicate object having issues.
(5.81 MiB) Downloaded 252 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:18 pm

TRIAD4Evr wrote:when I edit the horizontal or vertical offset on one, it does it on the other.
That is normal behavior.
Pg. 37 of BRPG User Manual wrote: Note that you can apply different scale and rotation settings to different units
which use the same artwork, but the offsets for any given artwork must be the
same. If you need to use different offsets, you will have to duplicate the artwork
in BRPG’s “Figures” folder.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:09 am

Okay! Sorry I missed that in the manual. Well if it's not that, what's causing my issue with some of the Media Asset Bundles not being recognized as valid Media Asset Bundles? That's probably the bigger problem.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:29 am

There is indeed some sort of corruption (missing media assets) in your two media bundles. Still trying to ascertain the cause. Check your email.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:23 pm

Sent you an e-mail back with another observation I made tonight.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:17 pm

So I built an entire new encounter using the same map that was giving me these problems in the first place and amazingly I am having the same problem again. My players are getting an error in importing the media asset bundle generated from this encounter! I really do think it has something to do with objects with numbers in their names and BG being unable to properly rename them when duplicating those items.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Another thing that might be relevant- I was making a new encounter and the bug popped up again. Something that happened again that struck me as maybe related was that when I was editing figures every now and again I can't select the art or token because the selection window that comes up is for some other type of media (like sound or something) so I either hit the "cancel" button or I right click somewhere else and edit the object or figure again. But what then happens is that some of my art (objects usually) appear to be in the wrong spot on the map. As I click the errant object, it pops back to where it's supposed to go and then another object is out of place until I've clicked on all of a series of objects. Everything looks just fine after that though. But maybe that behavior is related to the bug that's generating these Media Asset Bundles with holes in them. The objects sometimes get out of place, too, when I use the Unit Manager to bump the props to the bottom of the list. So that could be related, too.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:50 am

Well now I can't make any Media Asset bundles- every one is invalid. I tried a fresh install and then copied over my maps, figures, objects, etc. and now every time I try to load one of my previous Encounters, I get a Director error. And since I've got no valid media asset bundles I can't try to get them in there first before loading the corresponding encounter. The program has become almost unusable for me now. Actually, the new install _is_ unusable, while the old one is barely usable. I need help.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:58 pm

So, I decided to try to go the other way- I made an encounter in the clean install and then made a Media Asset Bundle- it went just fine! And I was able to open the encounter on the old install. So if I can just figure out a way to get my old encounters to open properly, I can just ditch the old version altogether and use my clean install. Can you help me?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:05 pm

That indicates there is a corruption in your old encounters. Send him a copy of those encounters if you haven't yet so he can try to find it.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:12 pm

Hi Triad,

So I didn't get back to you sooner. I've been kind of swamped, mostly with work, but also some personal stuff that I could do without.

I think the fact that the unit placement panels were sometimes "jamming" on you could be indicative of a problem that caused your old installation to get bungled somehow.

Do you use Dropbox? What about Skype? If I could get you to email me your usernames for those services, I might be able to help troubleshoot the issue, or at least recreate the issue on my own computer, which would allow me to fix whatever is wrong in the next release.

Also, please post one of your corrupted Encounter files.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:01 pm

On Skype and Dropbox, I am triad4evr [\ at /) yahoo {d0t] com

--- EDIT By Omni: Adjusted email address to hide it from spammers. Be careful when posting email addresses on a public forum.

Attached is one of my botched encounter files I can't open on the new install. It throws a script error when I try to load it.
Attachments
Trace.bge
(20.69 KiB) Downloaded 242 times

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:18 pm

Sigh. I tried a new, clean install and just finished putting together a fairly large encounter on a brand new install and the error is back. There are two things I have noted that might be relevant- it is still not advancing the number appended to an object when there's a number in the name which, in my case, is nearly every object in my collection. This means I might have 10 objects on the Unit Manager that have exactly the same name since I imported one object from a deployment and, needing more than one, duplicated it. That seems bad. The second issue might be that I was bumping some of these items to the bottom of the Unit Manager list (because I wanted things to appear on top of them) or bumping objects up (so that they will appear on top of other objects, like rubble). So maybe that is a thing. I imported a number of deployments I had previously made (such as generic groups of a specific type of unit) and of course had to re-select the token and/or portrait on some of them (since I did not have a valid media asset bundle that included them). And as I mentioned, now the error is back. I am fairly certain some aspect of your media asset bundle process is quite broken. And I find myself wishing there were a suitable alternative to BGRPG which is a shame considering how long I've been using it. Luckily Roll20 is just something I can't make work or I might have switched over. Please help! I'm about at my wit's end.
Attachments
Ruined Apartment FFA.bge
(34.51 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Ruined Apartment FFA.cxt
(9.62 MiB) Downloaded 202 times

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:15 am

Since we were never able to figure out why my Win7x64 install of BGRPG was exporting invalid media asset bundles while my x32 version on my laptop was exporting them fine, I thought I'd let you know that I've upgraded to Windows 10 and now the media asset bundles export and import just fine, so that's a sort-of workaround! Just thought I'd come full circle on this issue.
Last edited by TRIAD4Evr on Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:24 pm

Good to know, thanks for the update.

I think we'll never understand the weirdness that was happening on your PC.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:37 pm

I'm not going to complain. It seems to be working now!