Failing to Host (RC2)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:03 pm

Welcome, dmisrafel.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'm working on a fix, and hope to have something soon. Does RC1 work for you, in the meantime?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Diagnostic patch

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:05 pm

The following should be tried by those users who are completely unable to host using RC2a (just Dormouse, Weezoh, and dmisrafel, as far as I know):
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/Diagn ... ection.zip

This is essentially just RC2a except it ads diagnostic messages to the host and connection attempts. I've also increased the timeout period for the port-verification step, which may have been a culprit of failing to host on some computers.

Instructions:
1. Store your "Browser.dxr" and "MainMIAW.dxr" files in a safe place, in case you wish to revert back to them later.
2. Extract the files from this new zip into your RC2a directory.
3. Launch BRPG and see if you can now host.
4. If you can't, take note of the diagnostic messages that now appear in the connection panel and send me the info (or just post it here).

This version may or may not fix your hosting issues, but if it doesn't, it should help to isolate the cause.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:53 pm

Downloaded and tried it out (once).

Firstly got an error message (Port verification timeout :( ), but then it established the connection. :D :D :lol:

So success first time. Maybe it just needed the longer timeout.

I'll try it again a few times tomorrow, but I'm pretty confident that it will continue to work as the previous versions have been consistent in whether they worked or not.

Thanks.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:58 pm

Yay, Dormouse! That's very promising.

FYI, I always get the "port verification timeout" message, too. But it always establishes a connection for me anyway. That's the one diagnostic message I would trust too much, out of all the possible messages.

dmisrafel
Cannon Fodder

Post by dmisrafel » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:57 pm

My version still seems to be stuck at "Establishing Connection...", and is displaying either a 0 or port verification timeout.

I haven't been able to test with RC1; I got my license after RC2 came out and haven't been able to set aside the time to test the older candidate.

If it's any help, my hardware is a Macbook Pro 2.0ghz 1gb RAM.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:15 pm

dmisrafel,

Have you tried other port numbers besides the default 1626?

Are you sure you haven't moved or renamed the file called "goMU.dcr"?

Do you have any third-party software or utilities installed (like LittleSnitch), that might be blocking ports? Any routers or firewalls? Does hosting fail for you regardless of whether the machine currently has internet access?

dmisrafel
Cannon Fodder

Post by dmisrafel » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:32 pm

Trying a range from 1627-1680 has no apparent impact. goMU.dcr is in place within the brpg directory. LittleSnitch has been both on and off, with no apparent influence (no prompts to allow/deny, etc.) I am behind a router, but I've forwarded the appropriate port to my internal IP. Turning my airport off has no apparent impact.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:45 pm

:(

Then I suggest you try RC1 and let me know if that works for you. If RC1 works for you, at least that will eliminate computer & network configuration issues, and narrow it down to something that changed between RC1 and RC2.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:44 am

I just seem to hang at Establishing Connection . . .

I don't see any kind of messages other than that.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:24 pm

Just downloaded the current release client and I am now able to host wirelessly from my intel macbook pro to my intel imac with no issues. I haven't been working on trying to get this to work but I don't think i'm having problems any more.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Nerfed2Hell
Sergeant

Post by Nerfed2Hell » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:07 pm

Its been awhile since I tried, but last time I did I could not get connected either. It was very frustrating then a bunch of RL concerns popped up and kept me too busy to persue it.

I still want to get this up and running, though... so I'm going to have to try again soon.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:24 pm

Nerfed2Hell wrote:Its been awhile since I tried, but last time I did I could not get connected either.
Well, Weezoh just said that he *was* able to connect successfully with v1.3. So maybe you'll have better luck next time you try. ;-)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:40 pm

I think a change I made to the BRPG INI file in v1.3 may be what's allowing wireless hosting on a Mac to work again.

If you want to try wireless hosting with older releases of BRPG, just edit the INI file in a word processor so that the SleepTime setting is 10, instead of 100. This allocates more time on OS X to network-related functions.

Save your change, then launch BRPG and try hosting.

casteffens
Cannon Fodder

Post by casteffens » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:15 pm

heruca wrote:I think a change I made to the BRPG INI file in v1.3 may be what's allowing wireless hosting on a Mac to work again.

If you want to try wireless hosting with older releases of BRPG, just edit the INI file in a word processor so that the SleepTime setting is 10, instead of 100. This allocates more time on OS X to network-related functions.

Save your change, then launch BRPG and try hosting.
No dice here.

I am running BG:RPG in a MacBook Pro 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo connected wirelessly to a Linksys router. Tried hosting but couldn't connect (already took care of forwarding the 1626 port). The other computer on the network is a HP laptop running Vista. After redirecting to the HP, hosting worked immediately.

Tried joining with the mac a game in the HP using the HP's LAN address (192.169.1.104) but failed. Then placed the actual internet address (70.xxx.xxx.xxx) and the mac quickly joined the game hosted in the HP.

Tried your .ini revision but made no difference as far as hosting with the mac. Am d/l 1.3 now to see if it fixes this.

casteffens
Cannon Fodder

Post by casteffens » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:48 pm

1.3 did not fix the inability to host wirelessly issue. I turned Airport off and connected the mac by wire to the Linksys router. It then hosted successfully. My issue now is getting a 100' cable so that I can use BGRPG in my games. There has to be a way to make this work wirelessly... :(

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:01 pm

maybe it's a 802.11b issue? the other thing that's changed for me is that my router is now a time capsule so i'm running at G speeds.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

casteffens
Cannon Fodder

Post by casteffens » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:15 pm

Ok. This is how I solved the issue... I turned off the Built-in Ethernet and reactivated Airport. Hosting connected in a pinch and I joined with the HP using my LAN address of 192.168.1.xxx. Had no problem connecting through my actual IP address either.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:27 pm

Welcome, casteffens.

Yes, turning off all network protocols other than Airport seems to be the solution to this issue of being unable to host wirelessly on a Mac (Intel or PPC-based). Editing the INI file may or may not be necessary, I think it depends on the speed of your Mac's processor.

dg_1974

connection problem

Post by dg_1974 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:30 pm

I have a licensed DM version and when I go to host it tries and says "connection failed, please try again". I've tried different ports, and they haven't worked. I'm on a mac, but I don't think that make a difference. Please help :)

David Guerrero
Cannon Fodder

Post by David Guerrero » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:57 pm

I updated to the 1.3d beta and it still isn't letting me host on my MacBook wireless. I get "connection failed. please check your settings."

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:38 pm

Responded via email with troubleshooting info from this thread.