"Links & Resources" vs "User Creations"

Omnidon
Site Admin

"Links & Resources" vs "User Creations"

Post by Omnidon » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:33 pm

- Split from another thread -

I believe the User Creations is meant for things that are posted on this forum and (ideally) designed for BRPG.

Correct me if I'm wrong though heruca.
Last edited by Omnidon on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:51 pm

Well, it doesn't have to be something made exclusively for BRPG. I think we've already covered the fact that we can get maps, mapping objects, and figure tokens from the DJ site and RPGMapShare.com. Seems unnecessary to post a new link every time something new gets posted on one of those sites. But then again, I've probably done so myself in the past, when particularly noteworthy stuff gets posted. So I probably wouldn't have moved the post.

All in all, I'm glad Farland posted those links. They serve as a reminder that those are sites worth keeping a close eye on for new content.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:27 pm

Honestly, I would argue that it is a good idea to post a link here whenever new figures are posted. I'm guessing your average BRPG user doesn't spend the time combing the dundjinni forums or RPG mapshare that we do, and thus posting links here or in the figures folder will make it "one stop shopping" for figures, instead of sending your user base traipsing around the web to find the loads of wonderful figures that are out there but buried.

But then again, you guys are the bosses.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:24 am

I wasn't suggesting that it was a bad idea. I rarely check the DJ forums, so I think it's fantastic that you're posting links here.

I was just trying to keep up with heruca's method of organizing, since he has often posted links to specific artworks in this forum and seems to only post in the User Creations section when the artwork has been uploaded or hot-linked.

Heruca, was your intention for this section of the forum to be simple a list of communities, applications, and resource *collections*, but not resource-specific links?
If so, then I can attempt to reorganize based on that theme. Otherwise it does indeed seem a bit redundant.

I have some ideas for how we could use subforums to increase readability, or of course I could just leave it as is. Up to you.

(I split the thread and moved it back to User Creations for now.)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:18 am

My original intent was to post graphic assets in the User Creations section, just as DJ users post assets on the DJ forums (except that here, they would be a bit better categorized depending on asset type and genre). Links to external sites, or assets on external sites, are supposed to go in the Links & Resources subforum.

But seeing as how that isn't happening, even with the new uploading capability of these new forums, I'm willing to do whatever this community wants and would find most useful.

What I absolutely don't want is users not posting something AT ALL, for fear of not posting it in the right place.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:28 am

heruca wrote:My original intent was to post graphic assets in the User Creations section, just as DJ users post assets on the DJ forums (except that here, they would be a bit better categorized depending on asset type and genre). Links to external sites, or assets on external sites, are supposed to go in the Links & Resources subforum.
Heheh well the problem I was point out was, for example, that Farland's post was both a link to an external site AND a graphics asset ;-)

What I was thinking is perhaps we should merge User Creations and Links & Resources and make forums for "Communities", "Tools & Applications", and "Art Collections" for example.
I'm fine either way, but I think the current method makes it a bit hard to browse just by the sheer quantity of links.
heruca wrote:What I absolutely don't want is users not posting something AT ALL, for fear of not posting it in the right place.
Heheh yeah that's always a problem, though these forums are very straightforward compared to many I have worked with, since they don't deal with complex permissions.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:48 am

I think that having a "fantasy>figures" forum is a good idea, because it makes it easiest for the users. Then, for my 2 cents, that forum should contain original figures as well as links-- whatever users have or can find. Make it as easy as possible.

BTW, thanks for the responsiveness, guys. :D
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:32 am

Farland wrote:that forum should contain original figures as well as links-- whatever users have or can find. Make it as easy as possible.
I agree, though some authors don't want their works reposted.