Confirmation code

Meliora
Soldier

Confirmation code

Post by Meliora » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:23 pm

First time I tried to register on this forum, I wasn't able to figure the confirmation code out.

The background of the confirmation letters was...dadada...letters and numbers. You try to figure out which ones are the right letters. I knew I was wrong, since I wanted to enter more letters that there was room for in the confirmation code :D.

Not a big issue, since next time I tried I had bubbles as a background. A lot easier to figure out. Just wanted to add it. Maybe it is possible to change the different confirmation codes?? I did use the wild amount of five minutes to try to figure it out.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:17 pm

Omnidon, can we do something about this? This is not the first complaint I've heard about the confirmation system on this forum. I definitely want to keep the spambots away, but not at the risk of keeping real people away. :wink:
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:40 am

heruca wrote:Omnidon, can we do something about this?
I'll look into it. At the very least, I'll add a comment under it saying "Refresh to obtain a new code."
EDIT: Reminder added.
heruca wrote:This is not the first complaint I've heard about the confirmation system on this forum.
It's certainly the first complaint I've heard about it, and I'm running several identical forums.

I do understand his difficulty though, and I'll see if I can remove some of the most confusing backgrounds.
EDIT: It appears that the backgrounds are dynamically generated, so I can't remove the specific culprits without extensive modding.

However, I think if I remind people to refresh the page as needed, then it won't be a problem.

Sorry for your trouble Meliora. Do you agree with that solution?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:12 am

Thanks, Omnidon. That sounds OK, although a better message might be:

"If you are having trouble reading the confirmation code, hit Refresh or Reload on your web browser to obtain a new code."

Or something to that effect. I don't know how wordy the form lets you get. Also, if the confirmation code is case-sensitive, perhaps you could mention that, if it isn't mentioned already.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Meliora
Soldier

Post by Meliora » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:25 am

Omnidon wrote: However, I think if I remind people to refresh the page as needed, then it won't be a problem.

Sorry for your trouble Meliora. Do you agree with that solution?
Certainly :). And I hope my post didn't come out as I had a lot of trouble with it (as said, it only took a few extra minutes to figure out). But yes, a "if you can't read this, refresh the page" will be very helpful.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:27 am

It is in fact case sensitive.

The actual message is:
6 letters and numbers. Refresh the page to obtain a new code if needed.
and appears directly the below the image on both the registration page and the guest posting form.

There's no limit to the length, but keeping a message brief makes it more likely that people will read it.

Meliora
Soldier

Post by Meliora » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:13 am

Omnidon wrote:It is in fact case sensitive.

The actual message is:
6 letters and numbers. Refresh the page to obtain a new code if needed.
and appears directly the below the image on both the registration page and the guest posting form.

There's no limit to the length, but keeping a message brief makes it more likely that people will read it.
Just to make certain, that I didn't make a complet (censored) out of myself, but "6 letters and numbers. Refresh the page to obtain a new code if needed." is a new addition, right? :?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:55 am

Haha yes, it is indeed the result of your suggestion. ;-)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:31 pm

Sounds goods, Omnidon. Thanks.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:30 am

The forum registration verification images had a random letter background that was confusing some people, so Omnidon has changed it to only use textures & noise for backgrounds.

He also added the above-mentioned text message once again, as it had been accidentally removed during a recent forum upgrade.

Hopefully people won't have a hard time registering here anymore.