More people for the Forum

Omnidon
Site Admin

More people for the Forum

Post by Omnidon » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:47 pm

I actually didn't notice the forum the first couple days after I found the website.

You should put the link near the top of your menu, and rather than having it link to a page about the forum, have it link straight to the forum instead.

That will help more people find it.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:49 pm

I think that's a good idea. Navigating to the forum takes a little hunting and is not direct.

masterlurker
Captain

Post by masterlurker » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:23 pm

I second.

And the fact you have to click the button at the bottom isn't very user-friendly, either. I didn't even notice it until the second or third time I was on that page--figured it was a holding page until you got it up =P
~lurker~
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:54 am

OK, the forums are now accessed by a direct link. I put the content that was on the old forums entry page in a new "Welcome" message on the actual forum page itself.

Where would you suggest I move the forum link on the navigation menu? Should I put it between "Screenshots" and "System Requirements"? Somewhere else?

I won't actually make that change until I've got more time.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:02 am

I'd say right either right before or after Features personaly. Or put it above home just so that it's more visible

masterlurker
Captain

Post by masterlurker » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:19 pm

You could just change the font color ... make it contrast against the black yet still stick out from the orange font. White, bright red, bright blue, vomit green, etc.
~lurker~
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

Jixxala
Captain

Post by Jixxala » Tue May 30, 2006 3:42 pm

I just found the site today, so I cannot comment on what it was like before. Currently I like it. The site is well constructed, and most information seems easy to find. If I was going to make any comment it would be that a nice feature in the "profile" section would be to be able to preview the signature section without having to make a relatively useless post like this one :P
Jixxala
Developer of PGS (Pegasus Gaming System)
Current state - Alpha
Beta starts October.
www.Pegasus-Foundation.com

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue May 30, 2006 9:54 pm

Heh, I think the thread was mostly discussing the layout of the front page:
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/

This forum uses a template which is pre-designed and difficult to edit. While I may eventually help Heruca spruce it up, it will be a while before any major improvements are made to the forum.

That is a good idea though, I will definitely make a modification for that eventually.
If you have any more good suggestions, be sure to say so ;)

Welcome to the forums btw :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:48 am

I'm baffled. How can there be over 1200 downloads of BRPG from the MacGamesFiles site, and god knows how many more from the Apple site, and we're still not seeing a marked increase in the number of registered forum users?

Did anyone reading this learn about BRPG from either of those sites?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:44 am

Has there been any change in the traffic on the site?

Given the choice, I think the majority of people will look and download without registering.

Jixxala
Captain

Post by Jixxala » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:30 pm

Sadly it has been the experience of PF that most people will not register unless you force them to at gun point. I know these forums are great, full of informative and friendly people, BUT most are not. Seems many people are afraid to register. They think it will be a bother, a pain or a scam. They take the DL and go.

On this subject I recently got into it with a web admin from a popular independant RPG site. The guy was such an (censored) I will never go back. And they wonder why they have 2000 register users and 1800 of them have less than 5 post, 180 have less than 50 and the remaining 20 are complete jerks. That is the forum world most people know. They hate fighting the trolls and never give a good forum a chance.

I found this site from a google search. I have lauded the product and the site on our forums and have yet to see a single of our members here. Grrrrr

*getting out the gun*
Jixxala
Developer of PGS (Pegasus Gaming System)
Current state - Alpha
Beta starts October.
www.Pegasus-Foundation.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:40 pm

Well, I've already tried bribery (free downloads accessible only to registered forum users, and a chance to win a free license just for posting once), but that seems to have had little effect.

In fact, even most of you regular posters apparently haven't downloaded the (IMO, immensely useful) freebies, like Vry's Modular Dungeon, or the building and tree art packs.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:19 pm

Remember that most (if not all) of the people who d/l and don't come on to the forums have nothing interesting or useful to say anyway. if they had they'd say it.

And a lot of people will only make a post or two when they have problems. I think you'll find that the forums will pick up once you have v1.0 out and start really selling.

Even then, look at DJ. More sales than people registered on the site (many more I assume), and most posts are from a realtively small number of people.

Even more look at GMs Parlor - lots of downloads and virtually empty forums or Steel Rat's Old site with its virtually empty forum.

You're not doing so bad, you know.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:55 pm

Very good points.

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:51 pm

I'm going to second Dormouse's points.

I have both Dundjinni and use GMs Parlor but I have never bothered to post ( I honestly can't rembember if I even registered) . Part of it is just limited time. I choose to post here when I can b/c you guys are cool and I feel that what we say can make a difference in the product. I know at least 3 of my 5 normal players look at the forum from ime to time but they have no interest in posting
Well, if BRPG someday becomes a household name (at least among gamer households), smatt1001 will be able to boast that he was the first person in the world to buy a license.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:09 pm

Yeah.

In addition to the things previously mentioned, there's also not a lot here to draw players.

GMs may want to download some stuff and make suggestions, but the players don't really have much to do.

Once people actually start using BRPG instead of just talking about it, the activity here will really pick up.