Resource library

cyderak
Captain

Resource library

Post by cyderak » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:48 pm

I'd like to see a section of the website that has all the User submitted Figures, Figure Portraits, Maps, Macros, Adventures, ..........Basically everything that could be used with Battlegrounds all cataloged and easily browsed.

All on one page so you don't have to spend a lifetime sifting through forum pages.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:14 am

Are you asking for a dynamic image gallery or just a large collection of direct-download links?

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Image Gallery and File downloads.

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:53 pm

I'm just saying it'd be cool to have a place you could go to aquire tokens and maps and the like in one place. If they were separated into O.K.......Good.....and great type catagories that would greatly cut down on the browsing time when someone is looking for cool files to add to the DM-ing collection for running games on Battlegrounds.

Lordippon
Captain

Post by Lordippon » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:59 am

There are not yet that much user art on this website. So a library is a bit over-kill imo.

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:15 pm

If theres not that many artists than it shopuld be relativley easy to find and place the files in one ....easy to find....location.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:27 am

cyderak wrote:If theres not that many artists than it shopuld be relativley easy to find and place the files in one ....easy to find....location.
It really isn't THAT bad, but heruca was indeed a bit overly optimistic when designing the User Creations forum layout. :P

It also hasn't helped that some of those artists haven't been particularly organized in their posting either, though that's mainly because their posts have been widely separated in time. :-P
A gallery that allowed anyone to post might help in that regard, but I somehow doubt it would receive enough traffic to justify its maintenance, not to mention that potential users may be too lazy to try something new.

Another problem is that I wasn't a big fan of the existing forum-integrated gallery scripts out there, such as Coppermine, but I suppose I might give them another try at some point if heruca is interested in them. I haven't tried the new phpBB3 gallery mod yet, but using that would likely require migrating to phpBB3 (from the current Categories Hierarchy mod for phpBB2 -- which we could do if heruca wanted, though this mod is generally comparable to if not better than phpBB3).

I will likely design a custom gallery for RPG materials when I get around to creating my own website, but that won't be for a while.

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:12 pm

Omnidon.....How about creating ZIP or RAR files of all the collected user created content distributed in either certain catagories or file sizes depending on how much you could fit into one downloadable file.

If you didn't want to organize it by catagory the GM's could download it and re-organize it themselves.

I think the easier you make the files for GM's to aquire the more likely they are to use the software.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:42 pm

Well, you can collect the stuff and zip it as easily as I can. I don't get paid to run the website; I'm a volunteer.

You're welcome to post your own resource collections, as long as the artists don't mind. I've also offered free FTP webspace to BRPG regulars who need to upload their RPG resources in the past.

You could also talk to heruca about becoming a forum moderator if you want to help organize stuff.

Honestly though, I don't really think the User Creations section of the forum is a major draw to BRPG. Most people seem to depend more on the Dunjinni forum for their resources (which has a ton). In fact, the Dunjinni forum's organization is actually worse, and yet it seems to be the main hub for top-down graphics designers. There are also several third-party developers with their own sites selling top-down artwork.

Keep in mind that the VT market is still a niche market. It has huge potential, but most RPers are still in the dark about it, and not many content creators have jumped on board yet.

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:09 pm

I could start a Yahoo Groups and then people could upload their content to the appropriate folders.

Maps, Objects, and Figure Tokens could be uploaded to the Picture section.

And the appropriate file downloads could be uploaded to th "Files" section.

Lordippon
Captain

Post by Lordippon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:49 am

Well to take art from these forums and put them on another website is not really a good idea. It would kind of take traffic away from Heruca´s site. And I think he wants as many visitors as possible.

I think you should talk to him before you do anything like that. Ohh and ask the artists as well if they want their art someplace else.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:16 pm

If enough people actually want and would use a gallery, I'll definitely add one to the website... But as I said, I don't think many people would use it.

If anyone else really wants one, feel free to say so.

markuwp
General

resource gallery

Post by markuwp » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:06 pm

I definitely don't think starting another website or Yahoo group would be the way to go.

I do think that access to artwork is critically important for BRPG users. The fact that so many things can and do look better in BRPG than they did in my former VTT has definitely motivated me to upgrade the maps and tokens I used to use! I am not an artist, so I spent literally hours searching the internet for artwork (mostly looking for top-down figures). Anything we can do to make that easier would be great. I wish the monster token artpack had been available then!

I'd love the idea of a gallery if I thought it would work. Would more people upload artwork to a gallery than they did to the forums? It would be great if we could compile all of the relevant artwork on the internet in one place, scaled and optimized for BRPG, but I think that would require getting permission from all of the artists.

I suspect the most efficient way to put artwork in once place would be by compiling links, like the links Heruca sometimes gives to art posted on the Dunjinni forums. We already have artwork forums and links to websites that feature relevant art. Maybe there is a better way to organize all of the links and artwork that have been posted on the site. Perhaps some sort of wiki gallery could organize the available art by type (ex. Top-down_Figures>Fantasy>Humanoids>Orcs). This would be similar to what we already have in the forums, but would put the links/art in one place sorted by type (for example, all the dwarves together or all magi together) instead of scattered through chronologically-ordered posts which are mostly by author or location.

Just a thought. It would be fantastic to be able to review and download/buy all top-down figures on the web with just a few clicks, but I'm not sure what the best way to accomplish that would be. I hope the monsters artpack does well enough to encourage other similar galleries.

Mark
Omnidon wrote:If enough people actually want and would use a gallery, I'll definitely add one to the website... But as I said, I don't think many people would use it.

If anyone else really wants one, feel free to say so.

heruca
Developer

Re: resource gallery

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:42 pm

markuwp wrote:I hope the monsters artpack does well enough to encourage other similar galleries.
I doubt there will be any more artpacks like DevilDan's Monster Pack. It's only sold one copy. :(

Odd, since I thought BRPG users in particular would be hungry for a massive library of great-looking tokens delivered in a convenient format.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Lordippon
Captain

Post by Lordippon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:14 am

heruca wrote:
markuwp wrote:I hope the monsters artpack does well enough to encourage other similar galleries.
I doubt there will be any more artpacks like DevilDan's Monster Pack. It's only sold one copy. :(

Odd, since I thought BRPG users in particular would be hungry for a massive library of great-looking tokens delivered in a convenient format.
I am not really surprised that this artpack is not selling much.

The figures are great but honestly why pay for something you can download for free at the DJ forums, and easily scale yourself.
Pre-rotation and a few colour mods are not enough to pay 12$ for.

I think that most BRPG players who use figures already have DevilDan's figures downloaded from the DJ forum and most have probably already scaled them for their own use. I think most BRPG users have some degree of graphic skills.

Also we must remember that when somthing is published in artpack format people can not mod the figures themselves ( I do that a lot), which kind of put a limit on the use IMO.

I understand very well the need to use the artpack format, but the content must be new. I think there is a market for figure artpacks, but it must be new original content that people can't download somewhere else for free.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:36 am

Lordippon wrote:I understand very well the need to use the artpack format, but the content must be new. I think there is a market for figure artpacks, but it must be new original content that people can't download somewhere else for free.
Fair enough. I'd been planning on similarly releasing all of Devinnight's tokens (from Four Ugly Monsters) in a convenient single-artpack format, but I guess there wouldn't be much demand for that, either.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:56 am

Just a recap for latecomers:

If more of you really want a web gallery for downloading and uploading BG-related media (such as figures/maps), just say so. I'll add it to the site.

Just be sure that you'd actually use it.

markuwp
General

DevilDan's pack

Post by markuwp » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:55 pm

I think Lordippon is right. I definitely would have bought it if I hadn't already been using DevilDan's figures.
Lordippon wrote:
heruca wrote:

I am not really surprised that this artpack is not selling much.

The figures are great but honestly why pay for something you can download for free at the DJ forums, and easily scale yourself.
Pre-rotation and a few colour mods are not enough to pay 12$ for.

I think that most BRPG players who use figures already have DevilDan's figures downloaded from the DJ forum and most have probably already scaled them for their own use. I think most BRPG users have some degree of graphic skills.

Also we must remember that when somthing is published in artpack format people can not mod the figures themselves ( I do that a lot), which kind of put a limit on the use IMO.

I understand very well the need to use the artpack format, but the content must be new. I think there is a market for figure artpacks, but it must be new original content that people can't download somewhere else for free.

cyderak
Captain

Post by cyderak » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:46 pm

I would definitly use the gallery.

easier than sifting through the endless forums.. That way if someone wanted to start a thread they could just link to the graphic in the gallery section.

And the people who don't want to wade through the endless coments on the forums could just simply find the art they want.

I also agree with Lordippon. I'm like a kid in a candy shop when I see new content that I can download

I also disagree with Lordippon in the fact that ........No, I do not possess any graphic skills. Just the ability to put enough maps and figures together to make my adventures wayy more interesting and engaging.

Whichever way you guys decide to go........For or against......Thanks for considering it.

Lordippon
Captain

Post by Lordippon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:52 am

heruca wrote:
Lordippon wrote:I understand very well the need to use the artpack format, but the content must be new. I think there is a market for figure artpacks, but it must be new original content that people can't download somewhere else for free.
Fair enough. I'd been planning on similarly releasing all of Devinnight's tokens (from Four Ugly Monsters) in a convenient single-artpack format, but I guess there wouldn't be much demand for that, either.
I think it would be a great idea to release Devinnight's token in artpack format. Just make it a free Artpack, as a customer service. The more figures new BRPG users have freely available the better. That will get more people using figures instead of tokens. Hence creating a bigger market for future commercial figure artpacks.

As regarding an art gallery. I think you can download all the art on these forums in 30 min. And reading the forum threads that contains the art, is a great way to learn more about BRPG and the other people who use it.