Housekeeping

heruca
Developer

Housekeeping

Post by heruca » Tue May 09, 2006 2:27 pm

I'm attempting to get rid of all bot-created user accounts, and have PMed all accounts that I suspect of not being legit. If you got such a message and don't respond to it within a few days, or at least post something on these forums, your account will be deleted.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Tue May 09, 2006 3:03 pm

some ideas on how to prevent bot abuse here

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=257755

there's a suggestion to change the variable 'Accept' to something else in about 3 locations which will prevent them from registering. for the past few months i've gotten no bots through on our band's forums. now if I could just get our members to register :)
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 09, 2006 3:17 pm

OK, I've implemented that suggestion. I hope I didn't accidentally break anything, and that new users can still create accounts OK.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 15, 2006 7:13 am

Grrr! It seems that I did indeed break something. No new users can register until I fix it. :(

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 15, 2006 7:45 am

Should be fixed now.

Please let me know if you see anything wrong with the forum. If I don't hear anything, I'll assume everything is back to normal.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 16, 2006 5:56 pm

You may notice that the number of registered forum users just dropped slightly. This is because I've deleted several user accounts that were apparently bot registrations.

Xyld
Cannon Fodder

Post by Xyld » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:42 pm

Hi.. Brand new here.. I love the site, but do have a comment about the registration process:

It took my husband 2 tries to register because it said the confirmation code was incorrect.

It took me so many times the first time, that it told me I couldn't register. I rebooted my modem so as to give it another try and it still took me 3 more times. Same problem as hubby, confirmation code incorrect and also signature too long.

Is there a time issue with the confirmation code? It was just very frustrating.

Now, on the other hand, as a site admin myself, the security measures are always highest priority. So understand the need for the codes, etc.
Xyld
www.Pegasus-Foundation.com
Website Administrator

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:53 pm

Welcome, Xyld.

I'll soon be upgrading the forum's software, and when I do, I'll see if there's a better way to handle the security code thing, and perhaps allow the signature to be previewed to check the length. Sorry it gave you and your husband a hard time. I wasn't aware that it was problematic.

I do probably need to keep some security in place to prevent being overwhelmed by bot postings, however.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:37 pm

Ah I misunderstood what she posted the first time.

I think they did update the authorization code functionality, it's been working fine on my forums.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:05 pm

Yes, but I've not yet updated to the latest version of phpBB2.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:23 pm

I've just deleted about 12 forum user accounts believed to be bot-generated. All deleted users were given a warning a while back that this would happen by today if they did not post or reply to my PM.

There's also a new forum policy in place to help curb this problem in the future:
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=173

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am

I've just deleted around 50 user accounts believed to be bot-generated. All the deleted accounts had 0 posts and ended in ".ru" or ".info".

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:57 pm

I'm thinking of deleting all forum user accounts that list an email address ending in ".info". (is that even valid for a legitimate email address?) They seem to all be bot-generated accounts, since all have 0 posts to their names.

If anyone objects to this, speak up.