Yup, the updated forums are broken

heruca
Developer

Yup, the updated forums are broken

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:06 pm

I am aware that certain forum functions are not working, such as posting a new message or quoting an existing message. I'm working to resolve this.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:41 pm

OK, I think this may be resolved now.

It seems that several important files are missing from the archive used to update from 2.0.17 to 2.0.21. Once I manually reinstalled those files from a backup I had, things started working again.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Account activation now fixed

Post by heruca » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:12 pm

I have just fixed another problem with the forums, that was preventing account activation from working properly. All recently-added user accounts should now be properly activated. If not, please send me an email.

heruca
Developer

Forum Theme

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:11 pm

You should also know that the subsilver theme for this site is also broken, following the update. Subblack, the default, should be used until this issue is addressed.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:36 pm

Hmm are you sure all the files uploaded correctly when you first installed? It looks like the transfer might have failed partway through.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:14 pm

No, the problem is that I stupidly uploaded the changed files only, overwriting all the existing files.

I'd really rather get another release of BRPG out than keep messing with the forums.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:08 pm

The most reliable way to update an installation of phpBB:
  1. Download the Full package and extract it
    (As if for a fresh install)
  2. Remove the blank config.php from it
    (so it doesn't overwrite your existing copy)
  3. Copy everything in templates/subSilver/admin/ to templates/subBlack/admin/
    (to add admin support for the new features)
  4. Upload that to your server
  5. Go to install/update_to_latest.php in your browser.
    (to update the database)
  6. Remove the contrib and install folders from the server.
The full install package often has fewer bugs than the upgrade ones, since that's the one they test most thoroughly.

The other difference is that it replaces ALL files. Although that makes you redo any modifications, it also prevents you from 'breaking' any mods by leaving some files modified and replacing others.

(Modifications to the subBlack theme will remain intact unless you replace that too.)

You can follow those steps now and it will fix the problems.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:01 pm

I've re-uploaded all the subSilver files, so that theme should now be working properly for anyone who chooses to use it.