Spammers and Hackers

Steel Rat
General

Post by Steel Rat » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Since moving to Drupal a few years ago I've never been hacked like I was constantly with PHPBB and other forum software. Of course Drupal's forum is pretty basic. I mainly use it for the content management stuff.
Steel Rat
Infinite Ordnance: Military RPG supplements
RPGMapShare.com - Free map and mapping object repository.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:40 pm

Steel Rat wrote:Since moving to Drupal a few years ago I've never been hacked like I was constantly with PHPBB and other forum software. Of course Drupal's forum is pretty basic. I mainly use it for the content management stuff.
Heheh well the Categories Hierarchy mod for phpBB2 proved very resistant to bots. I added the CH mod to the BG forums back in 2007 and we got pretty much no spam until now. Probably still would be bot-proof if it was still being developed.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:12 am

I added an additional anti-bot security measure to the registration page.
It's a fairly basic Turing test, but it uses a randomly generated field name.
It's also unique to this website, meaning it could only be bypassed by bots specifically designed to spam this website.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:22 am

Excellent, thanks!
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Steel Rat
General

Post by Steel Rat » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:19 pm

Omnidon wrote:Heheh well the Categories Hierarchy mod for phpBB2 proved very resistant to bots. I added the CH mod to the BG forums back in 2007 and we got pretty much no spam until now. Probably still would be bot-proof if it was still being developed.
That's a big problem with open source. Someone makes a module you really need/like/want, and it's no longer supported.
Steel Rat
Infinite Ordnance: Military RPG supplements
RPGMapShare.com - Free map and mapping object repository.