Website outage explained

heruca
Developer

Website outage explained

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:25 pm

The site was down for 3-4 days recently. You probably saw the "Bandwidth Limit Exceeded" message if you tried to access it during that time.

What happened is that some 700 people downloaded BRPG in June after seeing it listed on MacGameFiles.com. Around the same time, BRPG somehow appeared on Apple's website (not my doing, but still very cool, even if they did link to an older version).

I have no idea how many more downloads originated from there, but to make a long story short, there were over 115GB worth of downloads in June, and this server only allows 50GB per month (the rest was supplied by a secondary server that Omnidon graciously set up to help deal with the load, but even that stopped working once this server went down).

In summary, this outage was incovenient, but fortunately was relatively short, and the increased interest also means that BRPG may soon have many more users. More users means more potential GMs and players, which is good for everyone.
Last edited by heruca on Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:21 am

And hopefully more income for you Heruca ;)