Links on front page

Farland
High Commander

Links on front page

Post by Farland » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:22 pm

Hey Heruca, when you list new versions or patches as news on the front page of the site, you ought to link from there to the download instead of causing users to have to go to click downloads. Its a small thing, but it might take away any possible confusion.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:33 pm

I might do that. It requires a bit more maintenance, since I often pull versions when they become obsolete, and I hate to leave dead links around.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:35 pm

I think its worth it. In fact, I suggest that you include a bit more easily accessible instruction, perhaps a read me file or instructions on the download page on how to install the program and patches. Its actually somewhat confusing, and I am fairly computer-literate.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:40 pm

Also, do you update the original download when you make a patch, so that if someone new downloads the original, they do not have to also download the patch? That's a necessity.

Finally, you ought to have the zip files unzip to a folder, called BRPG or something, rather than just distributing all the files loose into whatever directory they unzip to.

Sorry to put all these concerns in this thread, but I figured I'd keep them all in one place.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:20 am

Yes, I will be updating the full install to include the patch once I get confirmation that the patch works of and doesn't have any show-stopping bugs. So far I've gotten next to no feedback on the patch.

I'm not sure what you're doing, but when I unzip the patch on either my Mac or my Windows machine, it all goes into a tidy folder by default.

Good idea about including the download instructions in the zip. Will do that next time.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:55 pm

Yup, always a good idea to include information! Especially if this takes off and becomes popular, you'll have more and more folks who aren't going to read the boards, who aren't going to be very computer literate at all, who may be intimidated about the idea of going in and exchanging files, etc., so the "friendlier" you can make it for that sort of user the better.

I do think it's a good idea to update the main download with a patch only after it's proven stable. It's obvious if a person checks and compares but you might still want to mention in the main download section if it does include the latest patch or not.

I haven't tried out the lastest patch with my player yet, but have done a little more in-house stuff, and will post that in feedback!
--Tlichie

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:36 pm

heruca wrote: I'm not sure what you're doing, but when I unzip the patch on either my Mac or my Windows machine, it all goes into a tidy folder by default.
Hmmm, so you already have it set up to unzip to a folder? Both the patch and the main download unzip loose on my machine. All I do is write click them and select "unzip here." Weird.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:21 pm

Ah, that's your unzip program deciding where the files are unzipped. For example, my unzip program, by default, unzips all files to a folder that is named after the zip file. I could have it just unzip all the files to the current directory though (like it sounds like your unzip program is doing.)

It sounds to me like what you're asking for is that the program be zipped into an Executable Zip file that will automatically create a folder to unzip the installation files to it.

What I think Heruca was talking about the actual installation of the program itself.
Last edited by Full Bleed on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:51 pm

Alright, if its my fault, i humbly withdraw the last suggestion.

Thanks.

Actually, an executable installer for both the program and patch would be ideal, especially as the program grows more popular and people who really don't know much start to use it.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:59 pm

I've been wanting to add an installer for quite some time. I'll probably do so as soon as the final kinks are worked out of the program. In fact, I intend to make two separate downloads, one for Windows and one for Mac OS X. The zip can be considerably smaller and tidier if I do this.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:05 pm

Farland wrote:Actually, an executable installer for both the program and patch would be ideal, especially as the program grows more popular and people who really don't know much start to use it.
I agree.

A good, simple to use install and uninstall program is pretty important.