Virtual Game Table

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
Venger
General

Virtual Game Table

Post by Venger » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:51 pm

I was browsing around and stumbled on this.

http://www.aip.org/dbis/stories/2006/15243.html

I had this idea ten years ago!!

I started using a 19" flat panel monitor laying on top of the dinner table, with the base of the monitor removed, and had a thin sheet of transparency paper on top to protect the LCD

We would move our metal miniatures around on the lcd, with the map diplayed on the screen below

While this worked ok, it had some quirks that had to be addressed, such as, the number of usable squares or hexes that could be displayed on the map underneath, since our miniatures were all 25mm scale.

A virtual game table like this is something me and m'freinds have been dreaming of for years.

Its brand new apparantly and isnt even available comercially yet, but just thought Id share this

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:31 pm

Pretty cool.

Kinda hard to "put away" when not in use though, and it's a little thin on the tech specs (like resolution and price.) But something I'll be keeping an eye out for.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:21 am

The way I have planned to do this is with a mirror set at 45 degrees, a frosted glass tabletop and an under-slung projector. The mirror and the glass shoud reverse and re-reverse the image, giving you a correct image on the tabletop from a horizontal projector under the table. No shadows of reaching arms and a soda-proof tabletop to play on 8) . I already have a PC with BRPG - all I need now is the projector and table...
Balesir

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:29 pm

really kool stuff.

If the Entertaible from Phillips has a standard computer processor, one can only imagine the types of VGT capabilities that could be programmed into it.

There are no price or specs as of yet, since this is one of their "concept" prototypes.

I would suggest emailing them as I did, expressing interest. The more interest is shown the more likely it will become a consumer product.
Although, Im really warming up to these VGT softwares that do a lot of the things I once envisioned with an LCD tabletop, and with a MUCH smaller budget!

I could see BRPG and RPG softwares running "under the hood" so to speak married to such a device would be the cat's meow as far as a game table is concerned, and when you are not RPG'ing with it, then heck, who knows what games would be supported with this kind of tech

Before the days of LCD's, One tabletop I had envisioned a panel that would be subdivided into squares or hexes that could individually light up, and has a magnetic scanner just under the surface.

The table would be accessorized with miniatures, each miniature with a magnetic code reader and memory embedded in the base.

There would be a "slot" on the table where you could place the miniature, and upload pertinent character or creature data to it.
Then what you could do as GM is display a map, and then assign conditions to the hexes, such as traps, or revealed locations and the table would query the miniature for it's skill or stat and the table would light up under the miniature in various ways such as...

White - if the hex were a clear hex.
Red- if the hex were trapped
Yellow- if the hex were a secret door or trapdoor
Blue- flying
etc etc ad nauseum, lots of other conditions.

And as a player moved his miniature it would light up and reveal the condition and maybe make a loud noise and scaring the crap out of the player (and GM alike) , man I lOve interactive immersion!

Then the table could be programmed to connect to a network and a number of tables could be connected with friends from all over the world.....

Hey!! thats what Virtual Game tables are pretty much coming to now!!
Ya just dont need the dedicated hardware!

ciao