Odd bug in 1.3c

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
kato42
General

Odd bug in 1.3c

Post by kato42 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:40 pm

We were experimenting with 1.3c last night and were having some problems, I switched to IE intending to log into the forum and found that the commands window stayed on top no matter where I alt tabbed to or clicked on. The rest of BRPG wasn't visible, it was just the commands window that stayed on top.

I am running windows XP.

As a side note, the problem was actually more of a Vista problem than a BRPG problem and my friend fixed it on her machine.
Running 4 player D&D 4th ed. campaign over the net using BRPG 1.6b.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:46 pm

Man, I really thought I had that issue licked. Especially on XP, which is what I test on.

Possible workaround: Try hiding the Commands panel in BRPG using the [\] hotkey, before giving focus to another app.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:54 pm

Will do, it's not fatal, just a minor annoyance. When I'm running a game I have BRPG on one monitor and anything else I need on a second monitor. Just something I thought you might want to know.

It didn't do always do it, just most of the time.

Hmm. Just so you know, as its a visual thing maybe its graphics card/ driver related, I'm running an ATI 1900XTX (also known as a space heater), connected to two monitors.

Sholari
General

Post by Sholari » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:10 pm

Actually that happens to me all the time. Since I have only one monitor that command bar stays on the top layer no matter which program i am running. I think I just click on it a few times and hit \ \ a few times and it goes away. I am running windows 2000.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:22 am

Ditto; it happens to me. Doubt it's driver related since I have an Nvidia card. I'm also running Vista(x64) + Aero interface, on 1.2g. Haven't tested this specific issue with 1.3c yet, but if it hasn't changed for kato42 it probably hasn't changed for me.

I've just tried to get into the habit of hitting \ before window switching. (not having much luck with that, btw :roll: )

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:37 am

Does the Command panel properly hide itself if you click on the minimize button on the map window?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:37 pm

Not sure what you mean by the minimize button. It isn't running windowed so there is no minimize, maximize, or exit icons in the top corner. I did however right click on the program button on my task bar and select minimize, the commands panel stayed up.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:20 pm

Have you edited your INI file to enable the fullscreen option? Or used the "Toggle Fullscreen Mode" command in the BG button's popup menu? Because when I run BRPG on Windows (XP), I have all three buttons in the top right.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:39 pm

heruca wrote:Does the Command panel properly hide itself if you click on the minimize button on the map window?
The behaviour (for me) is that it properly hides itself, ONCE only, after initially opening BRPG, or after using the \ hotkey to hide/unhide it. Thereafter, it stays in front of all other windows. Doesn't matter if I do ALT-TAB switching, use the minimize button, or use the mouse to select an application from the Task Bar.

Additionally, once it's in this state, you actually have to hit the \ key twice to get the command window to hide, instead of just once.

Behaviour appears to be consistent and repeatable on all counts above.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:25 am

I just worked on fixing this once and for all, for v1.3d. Programming's done, but testing for verification will have to wait until tomorrow.

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:12 pm

heruca wrote:Have you edited your INI file to enable the fullscreen option? Or used the "Toggle Fullscreen Mode" command in the BG button's popup menu? Because when I run BRPG on Windows (XP), I have all three buttons in the top right.
Sorry, my mistake.

:oops:

Turns out the title bar somehow got pushed up so it wasn't visible, its been that way so long I thought it was the way it was designed! I somehow accidentally corrected that, and found that I had a title bar after all.

The minimize button still didn't fix the problem though.

While I hadn't tested it as much as Kazander, I think I saw the same thing. It would hide once, and then it wouldn't.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:16 pm

kato42 wrote:The minimize button still didn't fix the problem though.

While I hadn't tested it as much as Kazander, I think I saw the same thing. It would hide once, and then it wouldn't.
This was fixed in v1.3d. I take it you're still running an older version, then?

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:19 pm

Didn't know 1.3d was out, so it was still 1.3c. I'll get 1.3d for my testing. We really need to switch to a new version from 1.2f (the game on Saturday was hair pulling level frustration) so I have to get my testing done and feel confident we can switch to it without creating new problems.