undecided

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
DKX04
Cannon Fodder

undecided

Post by DKX04 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:20 pm

I'm really new to any virtual table top, I've done a P&P many years ago w/ friends but it fell apart. The idea of doing it online seems like a fantastic idea. Anyway, I cannot decide between BG and FG....I'm not quite sure which game I would like to play, so I like that BG has no rule sets, in case I decide to create my own. What has me really leaning towards BG is heruca's passion about making BG great. I've read many forums threads about FG and BG, and he has posted in almost every not selling BG, but helping them decide.

Is BG the more role playing VT, or a strong combat VT?

thxs

DKX

DKX04
Cannon Fodder

Post by DKX04 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:24 pm

I forgot I'm trying to also figure out, about player base. I would hate invest in a VT that had a very small player base and you couldn't get many games going

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: undecided

Post by Omnidon » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:06 am

Just so you know, it will be a few days before he can reply, as mentioned in the thread linked to above.

In the mean time, I will answer your questions as best I can. I do not personally own FG, but I've tried the demo and heard a lot about it from other people. Both BRPG and FG are excellent pieces of software and I understand your dilemma.
DKX04 wrote: Anyway, I cannot decide between BG and FG....I'm not quite sure which game I would like to play, so I like that BG has no rule sets, in case I decide to create my own.
BRPG is well-suited to custom rulesets, but the deciding factor for many people is the graphical layout and immersive feel of the software.

You can get an idea of this just by comparing the screenshots:
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/screenshots.html

http://www.fantasygrounds.com/screenshots/

Fantasy Grounds provides you with much more system-specific automation and simulated paper, but it is geared heavily towards D20 systems and (from what I've heard) requires a lot of hand-coding to adapt to custom rulesets.

Many have come here saying that FG felt too cluttered and that they need the richer atmosphere offered by BRPG's full-screen high resolution maps and simple interface.
DKX04 wrote:Is BG the more role playing VT, or a strong combat VT?
Well, I don't really see the difference personally, though I can see how most D&D players might make the distinction.

Both FG and BRPG have free demos available. I recommend you try both and form your own opinions.

To me however, both combat and social situations are highly dependent on the atmosphere, which as I said, I feel is BRPG's primary strength.

If your combat involves a lot of dice and statistics, BRPG does have a very flexible and powerful dice macro panel and a brand new table-based turn sequencer with customizable data fields.

One of BRPG's main weaknesses at this time is that it currently lacks any built-in character sheet features (beyond the custom fields on the turn sequencer and text notes), but that will be rectified eventually.

If you have the time and ability to recode FG's ruleset to your liking and your system is dice-heavy enough to require a lot of automation, then you may prefer FG for it's heavier emphasis on such things.
DKX04 wrote:What has me really leaning towards BG is heruca's passion about making BG great. I've read many forums threads about FG and BG, and he has posted in almost every not selling BG, but helping them decide.
Agreed. That's what ultimately sold me on BRPG originally, and it still holds true. ;-)

heruca is very receptive to user input and it's safe to say that the vast majority of features currently in BRPG and in ongoing development come directly from user suggestions and requests posted on this forum.

And yes, his goal is to get satisfied customers, not people tricked into buying the wrong software for their needs.
Speaking of which, BRPG and FG are not the only VTs on the market.

Be sure to check out the extensive list of other VTs and useful tools that heruca has boldly posted on his own website:
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/links.html
DKX04 wrote:I'm trying to also figure out, about player base. I would hate invest in a VT that had a very small player base and you couldn't get many games going
Well, the BRPG community is probably a bit smaller than the FG community (due to being a newer product)

However, the size of the player base never has to be a problem with BRPG's Floating License feature.

A Floating License costs the same as a player license, but is tied to the GM client, allowing anyone using the demo version of BRPG to connect to the GM and temporarily gain the privileges of a fully licensed player.

This means that any random person off the internet who you can convince to download the free demo can join your game as long as you have a Floating License available for their use.

I do not believe FG has a similar feature, although there are other VTs that do.

Arimmus
Captain

Post by Arimmus » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:34 am

I will say first hand from what i have done with BG is amazing. I DISLIKE with a passion D20 games. and most of the systems out there are D20 based. If i wanna play star wars with someone online i either A. need to do all the rolls myself, or B trust the persons rolls because i play the old west end games one. Same goes for my passion, AD&D.I may not play the BG online yet ( soon i hope with some help) But i use it as a Visual aide
For my home players ( I drag my PC so everyone can see it) and use it there. As For everything on BG, I have yet to explore everything But i am sure i will in time. This is a great program and I told many of my friends about it. Now, to get online with it, hehehehehe

DKX04
Cannon Fodder

Post by DKX04 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:48 am

thxs I think I've decided ^_^

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:28 pm

DKX04 wrote:I forgot I'm trying to also figure out, about player base. I would hate invest in a VT that had a very small player base and you couldn't get many games going
I don't think you can really make decisions based on this. If you have interested players who already use a VTT, then go with what they use (or persuade them to change). If not, then you probably need to budget for a GM license + sufficient floating licenses to play the game. Trying to persuade strangers to buy a VTT of your choosing isn't likely to be easy - whatever VTT you are using. And only a very small proportion of players already use VTTs.

Of course, if you go with a VTT that does not have floating licenses you would be in a bit of difficulty.

Sholari
General

Post by Sholari » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:51 am

I would like to add some of my experiances. I have both BG and FG. Both are quite good.

I started off playing FG because i really liked the feel for it, the great die rolling capability, the sheets for Characters and NPC (non-automated), pre-made monster manual (D&D 3.5 edition), and a text editor where you could drag and drop story info for characters to see. It also has skins that make it seem like you are playing by torchlight, Moonlight, and of course day light. It does have hot keys for quick responses and rolls. But the downfall for me was that it was only for D20 or D&D 3.5. I tryed to code info myself to play another system like GURPS but after months of work FG revised the the programming stucture so my program wouldn't work. Rather than starting again I went looking for another type of software. I also realized that by useing the Skype or Teamspeak while gamming FG I really didn't use the Text editor or hot keys that much. It was also fustrating that my players couldn't make edits to there characters or even have acess to them until they logged on to the host (DM's) computer. And even then they couldn't print them out.

Then I found BG and it was great. IMO It has a better combat layout system than FG. The things that FG lacks are the light sources the characters carry and the infravision the characters have, BG has both of these features, which can be modified very easly. I believe that both systems have a type of Fog of War. BG is also not rules oriented. You can play any system which is great no coding required. You can also create characters outside of the program in any format because it does't have to be bound to the program. I use Skpe so I am not missing the text editing features and hot keys FG had provided. By the way BG does have a basic text editor but I havent needed it yet. BG also is MAC complient where FG is not and FG requires Windows XP or Vista. The community may be small but Heruca is very responsive. Heruca is also very good at trying to help out and always making the program better.

Hope this helps DKX04,
Sholari

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:21 pm

Welcome, DKX04.

Looks like folks have already answered this pretty much as I would have, if not better.

What RPG game system/s are you planning to play with a VT?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

DKX04
Cannon Fodder

Post by DKX04 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:30 am

So it's been a while actually I went in a totally different direction...I picked up Warhammer Fantasy, w/ all the tiny figure, that then have to be painted T_T. Anyway, so now I'm back to the idea of VTT, due to the fact Warhammer meets once a week and I now I have to travel 40 min one way to school. Having something online will be convenient. When I was in college I played some ninja P&P that was cool. Not sure if D&D is my scene, but I do like older things ie. swords and not guns, IDK Vampires, Ninjas, something. I just remember the fun I had sitting around playing and the GM would add in crazy thing if we decided to pick on some random npc he mentioned. It was very open ended, God only knows if there was a true storyline.