BRPG Updates

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements
heruca
Developer

BRPG Updates

Post by heruca » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:26 pm

BRPG v1.0.1 is now available from the Downloads page.

It is currently only available as a patch, so you will need to have v1.0 previously installed. If it proves to be a solid release, I'll make a full install of v1.0.1 available.

Installation Instructions:
1) Expand the zip file to a location of your choosing.
2) Select all the enclosed files except for the folders whose names start with "Place Contents in...".
3) Drag the selected files into your v1.0 directory and overwrite all the existing files when prompted.
4) Open each of the remaining folders in turn and drag its contents into the appropriate v1.0 directory.
5. Delete all the now-empty folders.

The main focus of this update is bug fixes and responding to user feedback, but there are a couple of useful new features as well.

v1.0.1 features include:
¢ New "Force Player View" feature matches map zoom and positioning on connected client screens (individually or all players at once)
¢ The Fog of War masking layer can now be set to any color
¢ The incoming/outgoing chat sound effects can now be disabled from Preferences
¢ Chat text can now be saved externally
¢ Improved map-sending code avoids accidentally-merged maps
¢ Added "map pin" object graphics (in a variety of colors), useful for placing notes on maps
¢ and a bunch of bug fixes

As usual, see the included ReadMe file for more details.

Note that the Encounter file format has changed slightly, so you won't be able to use Encounters made in v1.0 without first performing a simple modification, as shown here:
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=800

I think you'll find that this update makes BRPG more stable and reliable.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:43 pm

The BRPG v1.0.1 patch is now available from the alternate mirror:

http://allinyourmind.net/brpg/BRPG_v1_0_1.zip

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:45 pm

Thanks, Omnidon.

I'd actually prefer if people grab it from the mirror site, since I'm running low on bandwidth for the month.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:10 pm

BRPG v1.0.2 is now available from the Downloads page.

It is a full installation, not a patch, so you will not need to have anything previously installed. If you already have an earlier version of BRPG installed, please install this to a new directory.

For the first time, BRPG is being offered in two separate downloads, one for Windows and one for Mac OS X. This helps keep the download smaller and saves space on your hard drive. Installation instructions are now included in each zip file.

The main focus of this update is bug fixes and usability enhancements, but there are a few useful new features as well.

v1.0.2 highlights include:
¢ Added the ability to edit the settings of figures and objects that have already been deployed on a map.
¢ Map transfers have been reworked to be faster, more reliable, and to provide better visual feedback.
¢ The zoom feature is greatly improved, and any zoom level can now be instantly selected from the BG button pulldown menu (no need to navigate through intervening zoom levels).
¢ Added the ability for figures to have both a public name (which the players see) and a private name (which only the GM sees).

Download v1.0.2 here:
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/downloads.html

I've pulled v1.0 and the v1.0.1 patch, as they are now obsolete.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:14 am

Uploaded to the alternate mirror.

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition
v1.0.2 Demo for Windows (84.9 MB ZIP):
http://allinyourmind.net/brpg/BRPGv102Win.zip

v1.0.2 Demo for Mac OS X (85.3 MB ZIP):
http://allinyourmind.net/brpg/BRPGv102Mac.zip

heruca
Developer

BRPG v1.0.2a beta released

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:53 pm

BRPG v1.0.2a is now available for download. It is to be considered in beta status for the time being. If nothing major is found to be wrong with it in the next week or so, I'll take it out of beta and it will become the default BRPG download. And if something is wrong with it, I'll fix it and re-release it.

This is a full install, not a patch. The main focus of this update is bug fixes (hence no number incremenent in the version number), but there are a couple of useful enhancements as well, primarily to the user interface. I've shown great restraint and avoided feature-creep this time around, in an effort to get BRPG running as smoothly as possible.

Download BRPG v1.0.2a here:
(be sure to get the right one for your platform)
Edit: Links removed, now that v1.0.2a is obsolete, and v1.0.2b is out of beta.

Installation instructions are included in each zip file.
Last edited by heruca on Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:15 pm

Whew! Three updates since v1.0, all in about a month (and I was away on travel for 8 of those days). I hope you all realize by now that I'm serious about squashing the bugs and supporting this software.

That said, if v1.0.2a checks out, expect the rate of releases to slow down. It's tough keeping the GMs and all their players in sync with the same software version if the latest version is changing every few weeks.

This recent flurry of releases was necessary to get BRPG's kinks worked out and stability improved. But now it's time to slow down a bit and let the feedback trickle in. Meanwhile, I'll start work on what I hope will be v1.1. That's right, I'm shooting for a full ".1" version next. :D 8)

You can get a hint of what might be in the next release by reading this thread: http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=842
But nothing is set in stone yet, and your feedback is likely to influence what gets done first, so post your thoughts.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:23 am

v1.0.2a BETA Demo for Windows:
http://allinyourmind.net/brpg/BRPGv102aWin.zip

v1.0.2a BETA Demo for Mac OS X:
http://allinyourmind.net/brpg/BRPGv102aMac.zip

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:13 am

heruca wrote: This recent flurry of releases was necessary to get BRPG's kinks worked out and stability improved. But now it's time to slow down a bit and let the feedback trickle in. Meanwhile, I'll start work on what I hope will be v1.1. That's right, I'm shooting for a full ".1" version next. :D 8)
Well, don't slow down too much, I'm betting that there are still a lot of us that are waiting for either stability to significantly improve and/or for certain features to be implemented before committing to making BRPG our VTT of choice.

I'm one of those people. :)

It seems like stability has greatly increased since the V1 release, and for that you're to be commended. But, speaking for myself, there are still too many things I feel a VTT needs to have in order for me to start developing my games around it. Not only would I be heavily using this software but I'd be committing my players to it as well, and that's a decision I take very seriously as a GM.

I've been trying to contribute a lot as a community member here because I really like what I see in the BRPG groundwork. The program has gobs of potential. I fully expect you to get my purchase support in the near future, but I'm still in a holding pattern until at least the new year. I mention this because I wouldn't be surprised if there were, like me, a lot of people out there in a watch and wait mode (at least until BRPG becomes the obvious solution for them or until it supplants a VTT they are already currently using.)

If I were you, I would continue to release regular BETA updates throughout your development leading to V1.1. Either to a select group of beta-testers or to the community as a whole. That will give you a much greater opportunity to release a more stable and bug free 1.1 without your feet being held to the fire about the "current release's" stability.

Given what I've seen of your development method, I think this would work best for you anyway. You seem to respond best when you're getting regular feedback and community activity. I have a fear that if you go into your shell when developing to 1.1 that you'll lose some of your steam. ;)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:36 am

Full Bleed wrote:I mention this because I wouldn't be surprised if there were, like me, a lot of people out there in a watch and wait mode (at least until BRPG becomes the obvious solution for them or until it supplants a VTT they are already currently using.)
I used to think that a lot of people were waiting for v1.0 to be released, but the release came and went without a noticeable increase in sales. :(
Full Bleed wrote:If I were you, I would continue to release regular BETA updates throughout your development leading to V1.1. Either to a select group of beta-testers or to the community as a whole. That will give you a much greater opportunity to release a more stable and bug free 1.1 without your feet being held to the fire about the "current release's" stability.
That's what I plan on doing, for exactly that reason.
Full Bleed wrote:Given what I've seen of your development method, I think this would work best for you anyway. You seem to respond best when you're getting regular feedback and community activity. I have a fear that if you go into your shell when developing to 1.1 that you'll lose some of your steam. ;)
Don't worry, I'm not going into a shell, any more than I did between beta releases (although I don't think you were around at that time). I do work best when I'm getting feedback.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:48 am

heruca wrote:I used to think that a lot of people were waiting for v1.0 to be released, but the release came and went without a noticeable increase in sales. :(
Well, that may say something about the current state of BRPG and the VTT market in general. I believe BRPG is competing directly with Fantasy Grounds and Klooge now, which is both good and bad.

The good, as I see it, is that there are a lot of VTT aps out there, but these 3 are clearly the cream of the crop. Just being ranked in the same class as the other 2 is a very good thing.

The bad is that the other two aps are very mature and feature-rich in comparison to BRPG. What BRPG seems to have over them right now (without going into all-out review mode) is an uncluttered interface, easy graphics application, and less system dependence.

What they have over BRPG is more features, stability, user modifications, and an established user base (most of which just comes with maturity and time in the trenches.)

In the short term, BRPG will get most of it users through attracting people new to the VTT market or poaching from one of the above programs. IMO, given BRPG's current state and position, one of those is more likely than the other... for now.

mahhand
Captain

Post by mahhand » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:20 pm

Thought I would throw in my 2 cents here.

Just recently I, along with with my group of 7 players, bought full versions on a group purchase of fantasygrounds. Of course I bought the gm version, but so did half my players, as some of them run their own games as well. This desision was made mainly because of timing, as BG was not at 1.0 yet, and I think klooge or what ever it is called didn't strike anyone as being what we wanted.

We have messed sround with using fantasygrounds some, more offline ourselves then as a group, or over the net even. Some of the features it has are nice, starting mainly with cool dice rolling and the intergrated charactersheets and rulesets. It also is very stable.

since our purchase, I have found myself going back to BG. I always felt that, for our group, BG would be the better ticket both for remote games, and with the chance to run a live game, using BG for the map and the mini's. This also allows me as a gm to run my live game, and have a player or two that can't make the drive, still partake of the game remotly, seeing the same battlematt that the other do.

I feel to run a VTT game over the net, it is best to try to keep things as simple and as close to the table top game as possable. BG does this by giving the gm and his players what they need. First, a vitual Battlemat and Figs to place on it. I think everyone here can say that BG does this in spades, it looks amazing, and the grid feature with snap to grid is great, along with a feature rich FOW, could any gm as for more from a battlemat?

The other part needed for online playing of tabletop game is a way to roll dice, so no one cheats or is though of as cheating. BG has this as well. It might not be as fancy as fantasygrounds, but it works fine.

The rest of running a game online should be done like it is at the table, with voice. Using ventrilo is a must here IMHO. When you have voice, the rest of the game players out like it does at the table. If you want to have a look at their character sheets, just use an online one ( link escapes me, but their is a great java based one we use). Need the rules? Open a book in front of you, or a pdf file. I don't see any reason to have them in my VTT program.

So far I have purchased a gm licence for BG, and now a floating licence for running two clients at once for a live game with players using the second view off my laptop for the battlemat on a tv screen. That way I can use FOW and hidden units. I feel the only thing holding back my players from buying their licences is stability of the client. Its hard to show off a program to someone if it crashes while showing it off more then once. I know it is a hard mantra to hear over and over when you are the programmer of a software app, but I feel that you have a winner here, and gettin it rock stable is what I feel, the # one goal to have. It sure feels like it is moving along that route. 1.02 was a great improvement, and I haven't even gotten 1.02a yet, can't wait till I am home.

Mahhand

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:00 pm

Thanks, Mahhand. Once you've had a chance to try it out, let me know of v1.0.2a addresses the stability concerns. I've gotten no feedback on it yet.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:17 am

BRPG v1.0.2b is now available for download. It is to be considered in beta status for the time being. If nothing major is found to be wrong with it in the next week or so, I'll take it out of beta and it will become the default BRPG download. And if something is wrong with it, I'll fix it and re-release it.

This is a patch, not a full install, so it requires that v1.0.2a be already installed on your computer. This patch fixes the crashing issue on Windows when hosting repeatedly, and when joining a game more than once in the same session. It also fixes a bug in v1.0.2a that prevented the GM from placings Objects. Little else got fixed, because little else was reported broken with v1.0.2a.

Download BRPG v1.0.2b here:
(be sure to get the right one for your platform)
Edit: Links removed, now that v1.0.2b is out of beta.

I will be away on travel until Friday night, but don't let that stop you from posting feedback. No new license codes will be issued until Saturday, December 16th.
Last edited by heruca on Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:44 am

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition - Windows
v1.0.2a BETA Demo
http://allinyourmind.net/brpg/BRPGv102aWin.zip

v1.0.2b BETA Patch
http://allinyourmind.net/brpg/BRPGv102bWin.zip

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition - Mac OS X
v1.0.2a BETA Demo
http://allinyourmind.net/brpg/BRPGv102aMac.zip

v1.0.2b BETA Patch
http://allinyourmind.net/brpg/BRPGv102bMac.zip

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:42 pm

I'm thinking that a new thread for each patch/release should be made, with the latest "Official" and "Beta" versions being stickied.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:11 am

Agreed, but I don't have the forum permissions to do that in this section. :?

butch2k
Cannon Fodder

Post by butch2k » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:14 pm

Heruca, check the email i just sent u as there seems to be somehting nasty with the challenge code changing for no apparent reasons.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:00 pm

Welcome, butch2k.

I just replied to your email.

The only cases where the Challenge Code should change is if you move the app to another drive (or perhaps even another partition on the same drive), or if you reformat your hard drive. If something else is causing the Challenge Code to change, I'd love to know what it is, since this is the first time something like this has been reported.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:42 am

BRPG v1.0.2b is now out of beta status, and is now the default BRPG download on the Downloads page. It is now a full install, whereas before it was only available as a patch to v1.0.2.

Future BRPG releases will henceforth be announced in their own thread, so I'm locking this thread.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:55 pm

Due to a miscommunication, the download page was still linking to the patch version.

The full (non-patch) version of BRPG v1.0.2b is now properly uploaded and accessible from the download page.

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition - Windows
v1.0.2b FULL Demo
http://allinyourmind.net/brpg/BRPGv102bWin.zip

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition - Mac OS X
v1.0.2b FULL Demo
http://allinyourmind.net/brpg/BRPGv102bMac.zip

This is the latest official release of BRPG as of Dec 26, 2006. Check the corresponding thread if you wish to try the latest Beta version.