BUG: White Map (RC2) [FIXED]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Tlichie
Captain

BUG: White Map (RC2) [FIXED]

Post by Tlichie » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:08 am

Okay, I first though this was just an arrow error. I first encountered this: I went to the change map, then selected the select background for tiles. the default is black. when I used the arrow buttons to change the selection I got a script error whenever *not* going to the black background.

"cannot divide by zero"

selecting "yes" on the continue question seemed to proceed as normal.

I then tonight tried going all the way through to hitting "select" after getting the arrow, went with clear. got the "tabletop" which I'm assuming is correct, but it then gave me the error for selecting with arrows anything *but* that, and didn't redraw.

Restarting the program and going back into that select screen has produced the "example" black background offset from the square where it should be. Neither the clear nor the white are offset (I'm assuming the clear isn't based on the fact the white isn't.

Selecting creates the "tabletop" graphic with a size black spot with the B in the upper left corner, and then the selection screen works with arrows without errors. The area that's colored can be selected, rest of the table can't (though the rest of the table shows the snap to grid as the curser moves). Though that may be as intended.

Restarting the program gives the same problem as previously...the black is offset, though I'm not getting the arrow error.

Not sure how much of that isn't right, but I know the error shouldn't be there, so I thought I'd bring it up. I'm running on Windows, XP home edition. I've placed a couple figures on the default grass map without problem, and changed it to an ice map also without problem, but that's about as far as I got with exploring today.

Hope that helps!
--Tlichie

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:46 am

Good catch. I never got this error because I always use the pulldown menus to make my selections.

I believe the error is caused because the program is ignoring anything that is pure white in the chosen map, hence the all-white background comes in with a height and width of zero.

Solution: right after selecting the white background and hitting the Select button, go into the Map Settings panel, click the down arrow to set Grid Cells Wide to 39, then click the up arrow to set it back to 40. This needs to be done for any of the color patches in the "Backgrounds for Tiles" folder. I made them really small on purpose to save space and RAM, knowing that they can be stretched to any desired size without distortion.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:45 pm

Yeah, I usually use drop down too, but thought "hey, this is still being tested, so I'll test it" :lol:
--Tlichie

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:30 pm

I'm not getting this bug in Windows RC2a

Did you fix it?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:39 pm

I think so, except for one thing:

I need everyone to throw away the following graphic:
"Maps/Backgrounds for Tiles/No Background.png"

Since there's no longer a tabletop background graphic, you no longer need this, anyway. Failure to remove this graphic will give you a "cannot divide by zero" error.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:29 pm

Hmm well I'm not getting that error even for that graphic :P so I'll leave this bug until someone else tests it.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:50 am

Tlichie, can I mark this bug as fixed?

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:00 pm

Yes and no.
When navigating by the arrows *until* "no background is selected and put into play the error is there. (There's no longer any offsetting of the graphic). However, once "no background" has been selected, there's no more error, even after restarting the program (haven't tried it after rebooting the computer). Maybe set the default to clear? Might be having problems with the "null" setting until it's selected?

Oh, in playing with this I discovered another bug which I'll post elsewhere.
--Tlichie

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:05 am

still there in 1.0.2

as in the previous version, it was only a problem *until* I selected the "no background" tile and loaded that, then it behaved fine, even on quitting and reloading the program.
--Tlichie

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:08 am

heruca wrote:I need everyone to throw away the following graphic:

Since there's no longer a tabletop background graphic, you no longer need this, anyway. Failure to remove this graphic will give you a "cannot divide by zero" error.
Did you see that tlichie? The point is that the No Background tile is pointless now since there is already no background.

- edit -
By the way heruca, would you get this error if you used a flash animation that started out completely transparent? That may be an issue later.

perhaps you should set a minimum size of one pixel. (IF size = 0 THEN size = 1)
That would prevent any chance of this bug popping up again.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:26 am

Been a while since I looked at that bit of code, but I doubt it would be a problem with Flash. I probably just need to test the asset's dimensions to see if either are 0 before trying to apply my formula that tries to generate a proportionally-sized preview image.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:29 pm

Omnidon wrote:
heruca wrote:I need everyone to throw away the following graphic:

Did you see that tlichie? The point is that the No Background tile is pointless now since there is already no background.
I'm just using what's been *in the versions released*. I'm not testing old versions nor did I move any graphic in. If it shouldn't be in there and still is then it's *not* reasonable to expect every person downloading the program to see that message and dig around to throw it out. :P It should be taken out completely. :)
--Tlichie

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:37 pm

Sorry, the "No Background" PNG was left in by mistake. I've just removed it for the next release.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:09 pm

Easy thing to forget :D
--Tlichie