Director Player Error on placement of 19th figure [FIXED]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
BTS1967
General

Director Player Error on placement of 19th figure [FIXED]

Post by BTS1967 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:01 am

I came across this when designing an encounter with v 1.04b. I initially encountered this on a self created map and then recreated it on the general green grass map that loads as the default. To validate it was the 19th, I repeated this three times with different sets of tokens.

When I click the select button after selecting the icon on the 19th figure, I receive a Director Player Error, Property Not Found, # rotation, ScriptError.Continue? At which point if I click Yes it continues to repeat the yes/no pop-up in a never ending loop and if I click no it crashes to desktop.

Note the # rotation comes up when there are 18 and I add a single figure. I get a # visibile when I have 18 and add a deployment of 2 or more.

[Edit by Heruca: Large reference image made into a link, rather than an embedded image, so that the thread can be read without having to scroll sideways in the browser.]

Cheers,
Barry
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/128/3825 ... 0f5e_o.jpg

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:12 am

I believe this was reported somewhere else, but thanks for bringing it up.

BRPG has never supported more than a relatively small number of units, but certainly more than 18.

heruca said he believed the bug was due to something causing more units to be created than were being shown, thus reaching the unit cap early.

In addition to fixing this bug, heruca was planning on substantially increasing the maximum number of units for v1.0.6

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:54 pm

I believe I fixed this in v1.0.5. Have you tried that version yet, BTS1967?

Out of curiosity, are you manually placing each of those 18 units, or do you just place some "by hand" and then clone the rest?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:19 pm

heruca wrote:I believe I fixed this in v1.0.5. Have you tried that version yet, BTS1967?

Out of curiosity, are you manually placing each of those 18 units, or do you just place some "by hand" and then clone the rest?
I manually placed 18 alligators, one by one in 1.0.5beta and the error still exists.

I would have tested cloning, but then I'd have to look up what the hot keys for that are, and I'm lazy like that. (Which is why I advocated putting copy/paste in the context menus. :p)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:23 pm

Cloning = copy & paste units.

Select one or more units to clone, hit Control-C (on Windows), click the map where you want the clones to appear, press Control-V.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:40 pm

heruca wrote:Cloning = copy & paste units.

Select one or more units to clone, hit Control-C (on Windows), click the map where you want the clones to appear, press Control-V.
Just tested. It errors out on 19+ by cloning too.

I found another bug in 1.0.5 while testing this (regarding the context "delete")... but I'll give that its own thread.

(I'm still not crazy about having to go to the keyboard to copy and paste... and would much prefer a click-drag selection with a clone context option.)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:58 pm

Thanks for confirming, I'll try to fix that tonight.

BTS1967
General

Post by BTS1967 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:06 pm

Just got back from work... Full Bleed kindly provided the answer! Though I didnt test it with copy & paste but I do remember getting another Director error and I think it was #count when the above was duplicated with c&p.

I used both manual, one by one, and deployment... which I REALLY like!

FYI, just tested with c&p... got the #rotation error. Also forgot to say, I also like the portrait feature!!!

Barry

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:44 am

OK, I've discovered the source of this problem. Each figure deployed gets allocated 2 game sprites (one for the base, and one for the halo) from a pool of 36 game sprites that appear under the grid overlay. The pool of sprites runs empty once 18 figures are deployed (18 x 2 = 36). As the 19th figure is deployed, BRPG tries to draw it on the screen but fails because it tries to manipulate a game sprite that is non-existant/unassigned.

The fix for this will be two-fold:

The first part will be that figure deployment by any means (manual, mass deployment, cloning, or loading of a Deployment file) will not be allowed unless a test first determines that enough game sprites are available to assign to the figure/s being added. This part of the fix will be in the v1.0.5 patch, and will ensure that no error messages crop up.

The second part of the fix will be to greatly increase the number of game sprites available in the first place, so that you can deploy far more figures (perhaps hundreds) before running out of game sprites. This part of the fix will be in v1.0.6, as it involves shuffling so much stuff around that there is too great of a risk of breaking stuff, and I want the v1.0.5 patch to be very reliable.

For now, though, it seems that BRPG has a current top limit of 18 figures. I realize that this is extremely limiting, especially in games requiring large numbers of cannon-fodder units (kobolds, goblins, etc.), so I will be addressing this issue fully in v1.0.6 (expected by the end of February).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:27 pm

In my testing today of the v1.0.5 patch, I've been able to deploy up to 18 figures and 32 objects simultaneously without error.

The code is now in place to prevent you from manually deploying or cloning more units than you've got available game sprites for. Now I just need to do the same for bulk unit deployment and loading of Deployment files.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:20 pm

heruca wrote:Now I just need to do the same for bulk unit deployment and loading of Deployment files.
This is now done, in the v1.0.5 patch.

¢ If there are not enough available game sprites to deploy another figure on the map, the "Deploy Figure" command will be disabled (greyed out).
¢ Attempting to paste cloned units when there are not enough available game sprites will abort the paste command, with a warning telling you why.
¢ Attempting to load a Deployment when there are not enough available game sprites will abort the Load Deployment command, with a warning telling you why.
¢ The popup menu for selecting how many units to deploy during a bulk unit deployment now only shows those options that would not allow the available game sprites to be exceeded (e.g., If you've only got enough free game sprites to deploy three more figures, then three will be the highest setting available in that popup menu.

So AFAIK, it will now be impossible to get the error specified in the OP.