BRPG v1.0.6b beta released

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements
Tryll
Sergeant

Post by Tryll » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:56 am

I just popped open the unit manager (U), and selected an item. I then pressed (X) to toggle gridsnap, and got a player error -

Handler not defined
#toggleSnap

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:06 am

Thanks for the report. Easiest fix ever.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tryll
Sergeant

Post by Tryll » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:07 am

Player systems with autosave turned on, seem to autosave remote encounters, which can then be loaded in GM mode. They are sort of "broken", but they do load up. Bug or feature? (personally, I'd rather they didn't autosave my encounters.)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:02 am

Actually, I supposedly changed that behavior in v1.0.6b so that player clients wouldn't autosave (precisely because I don't want a player to be able to open an Encounter between sessions, turn off FoW, and see everything that the GM has in store for him). I guess I didn't get it quite right. Will have another look.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:15 pm

Tryll (and everyone else, for that matter), please post bug reports in the Bug Reports subforum. I have a hard time finding the bug reports otherwise when I sit down to debug, making it more likely that the bug won't be addressed.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:18 pm

Tryll wrote:I just popped open the unit manager (U), and selected an item. I then pressed (X) to toggle gridsnap, and got a player error -

Handler not defined
#toggleSnap
This is fixed for the next release.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:29 pm

Tryll wrote:Player systems with autosave turned on, seem to autosave remote encounters, which can then be loaded in GM mode. They are sort of "broken", but they do load up. Bug or feature? (personally, I'd rather they didn't autosave my encounters.)
This is fixed for the next release.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:51 pm

Tryll wrote:You can also check out "debugPlaybackEnabled"... this allows your message window output to be displayed at runtime (a new window opens.) Then you just log things with "puts" as you normally would. The only problem would be if you are writing anything sensitive there (passwords, license codes, etc.) Note that at any point that this property is set to false, it cannot be reset to true during that run of the application. (A security measure.)
Thanks a lot for that info. It helped me to address a potential security issue. Because the message window doesn't just show output, but can also be used to issue commands and set variables, I now set debugPlaybackEnabled to False as soon as the app launches, so that no one can get at this window and use it to "do bad things".

I'll use some other method for actual debugging or logging.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:59 pm

heruca wrote:Once you've done at least one encounter this way, it's pretty easy to modify other Encounters to load the map from the server. Just open up your Encounter in Notepad and look for where the URL gets stored. Then modify your other Encounter files to contain the necessary URL info.
Oops! I forgot to mention that you also need to change the third value in the Encounter file's text, like in this example:
[[12, 1, "The+Forsaken+Gazebo", "Square", 1, "Camp Guard", 0, 0, 65, 0, 1, 32, 32, 0, 0, rgb( 0, 0, 0 ), [3, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13], "http://gallery.rptools.net/d/7648-2/The+Forsaken+Gazebo.jpg", [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0...(file text continues)
You have to change the third value (the map name, shown in green) so that it's the same as the last part of the URL, minus the extension (shown in orange).

This may be why the server-based map doesn't load for players sometimes. The Encounter may be incorrect and read like this:
[[12, 1, "Grass", "Square", 1, "Camp Guard", 0, 0, 65, 0, 1, 32, 32, 0, 0, rgb( 0, 0, 0 ), [3, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13], "http://gallery.rptools.net/d/7648-2/The+Forsaken+Gazebo.jpg", [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0...(file text continues)
See how the colored parts don't match?

Tryll
Sergeant

Post by Tryll » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:07 am

heruca wrote:Thanks a lot for that info. It helped me to address a potential security issue. Because the message window doesn't just show output, but can also be used to issue commands and set variables, I now set debugPlaybackEnabled to False as soon as the app launches, so that no one can get at this window and use it to "do bad things".

I'll use some other method for actual debugging or logging.
Yes, that's the same as I do in my own Director apps.

Maybe you should consider building in an option to "allow remote debugging", and then have the app send the debugging info back to you in real time on another socket connection.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:06 pm

Tryll wrote:With fog of war on, a player would move a characetr, and then it would slide back to the original spot (probably a postion update coming from the server.)
heruca wrote:That's exactly what's happening. My guess is that it's happening if a player changes something (moves, rotates, etc.) while the GM is accessing a contextual menu, during which time he stops receiving messages from clients. Then, when the GM releases the menu, he sends out a game state update that overrules whatever the player last did. Someone dubbed this the "dancing figures" bug.
I now think this is actually related to having text labels on the figures. Can anyone get the "dancing figures" bug to happen if there are no text labels attached to a figure? How about with no text labels attached to ANY figure?

Btw, this doesn't affect just movement, it affects ANY setting change (e.g., health level, base color, etc.).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

OK, I found the cause of the "dancing figure" bug. It manifests whenever the Character Name label is turned on for a figure which has no unit notes assigned to it.

I've fixed this bug for v1.0.7.

Until then, here's the workaround: make sure you first assign Notes to any unit on which you wish to use the Character Name label. Otherwise, by turning on the Character Name label, you'll be initiating a loop of endless updates which tend to "undo" any changes you attempt to make to that figure from that point on.

A particularly bad situation for this bug to manifest is when Fog of War is enabled, particularly if you happen to have a slow computer. This happened to me during a demo I gave MrJamela at iCon, and during some testing I did with Tryll the other night. It threw me into a sluggish, lagged out state that was maddening.
Last edited by heruca on Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tryll
Sergeant

Post by Tryll » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:00 pm

Awesome. That sounds good. Nice catch.