Loading Maps from server, with FOW?

"How Do I...?"
catsclaw
Cannon Fodder

Loading Maps from server, with FOW?

Post by catsclaw » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:00 pm

This new map loading feature is making its debut in v1.0.6, but is still in a rudimentary form. By that, I mean that there is no interface for it yet. The GM simply types in the map's URL in the chat input field after the code "map=" (sans quotes). For example, you might type "map=http://www.myserver.com/mymodule/dungeon-level-2.jpg" into the Chat window's text input field. When you hit RETURN, the map quickly loads into every connected client, including the GM's.
Is it possible to load a map from a server and have it automatically load with Fog of War so you can set up the map for the players first?

Also on those lines, be able to load up the encounter assets after loading the map from the server?

This way, I can have the map be loaded from the server, let the players download a token/object set from the server and then I can prearrange them before revealing the playing surface.

catsclaw
Cannon Fodder

Post by catsclaw » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:02 pm

It looks like someone has already asked this here: http://battlegroundsgames.com/forums/vi ... php?t=1303 but maybe some clarification would help regarding loading encounter assets.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:07 pm

BRPG supports automatic FoW blackout when loading a map.

When you save an encounter with a map loaded from a server, I believe it saves the URL of the map in the encounter file.

There's also nothing stopping you from using unit deployments or adding more units after the map has been loaded.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:32 pm

Omnidon wrote:When you save an encounter with a map loaded from a server, I believe it saves the URL of the map in the encounter file.
Yes, it does.

Here's how BRPG handles maps:
When the GM loads a new map, or an Encounter that specifies a new map, it sends the map's name to all connected clients. The player clients will look to see if they already have that map stored locally (perhaps from a previous session, or if they imported it from a media bundle). If not, they will get the map from a URL, if one was provided. If no URL was provided, the client will request it directly from the host/GM, via peer-to-peer transfer. If that p2p transfer ends up incomplete (missing black rows), the GM can manually force a re-send of just the missing map rows.

To answer catsclaw's first question: yes, if you had saved the Encounter with FoW on, it will automatically enable FoW when the Encounter is received by the players.

Second question: only maps are currently set up to be downloaded from a server. Other assets are all sent via peer-to-peer transfer. This isn't so bad, since non-map assets are typically pretty small in size. But someday I hope to make it so that all media is handled the way I described above.

As for your last sentence, why not just prearrange everything prior to making the bundle? The only case I can think of doing what you propose is if you want to be able to quickly improvise Encounters. Basically, you could seed your clients with a bunch of component dungeon pieces, or lots of trees, rocks, ponds, bushes, etc., so that those elements are immediately available for you to improvise a new setting with.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

catsclaw
Cannon Fodder

Post by catsclaw » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:59 pm

I see... then after I prearrange everything, I can save the encounter that is generated from a map I stored on a server and "shazaam!", I am ready to go?

When I load the encounter, it will download the maps from the server to the clients (players) and it will then download the assets (objects/tokens/etc) along with preset FOW settings to the players?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:02 pm

Yes, and yes. :)
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.