A new VTT program on the way?

Share your favorite RPG-related and wargame-related links with the Battlegrounds community
heruca
Developer

A new VTT program on the way?

Post by heruca » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:01 pm

:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:40 pm

Interesting, however I imagine they're gonna have a lot of catching up to do ;)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:45 am

Well, heruca did a pretty good job catching up ;-)

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:53 am

EpicTable is going to be pretty different from BRPG though. I'll leave it to the developer to give more information. He might post that at DJ for now.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:06 am

Just a thread bump to let folks know that there is now an actual website at the above link.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:46 am

The developer has a very ambitious features page.

dorpond
Soldier

Post by dorpond » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:11 pm

Lots of promises that's for sure - putting something together like that isn't going to be quick, as I am sure Heruca or Trevor can both agree. Now let's see if they can execute and make the promise a reality.

I have to say though, my curiosity is high with this one.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:30 pm

Either they're not showing it on the web site, or they're not including support for hex grids.

And what they say about character sheets, how many game systems will they support?

Although they don't explicitly say so anywhere that I could see, it looks like this VT is for d20 only.

John Lammers
Cannon Fodder

Post by John Lammers » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:14 am

Sorry to arrive so late to this discussion....
Thank you all for your interest in EpicTable. I've recently put up a few more FAQ entries on the site that address some of the questions here and some that I've received via email, but to save you the trip:

re: catching up
You're right--Heruca and others have done some great things in the VTT space, and I'm going to have to work really hard to show that I've got something to offer the community. I believe that our focus differs enough that there's room in the market for another player. I've been working on EpicTable since March of 2006, so it's not all vapor. This is not a brand-new market, though, I don't want to release something until it's pretty compelling. That said, it's getting closer....

re: hex grids, character sheets, game systems
Hex grids are not part of version 1.

As for game systems, my experience is largely d20, and that probably comes through on the site. On the other hand, I think Savage Worlds is really compelling, and I see VTTs as perhaps opening up opportunities for people to have a wider gaming experience. As a consequence, EpicTable will not be limited to d20.

The reason you've not seen much about game system support on the site is that the character sheet management is still in active development, and I've been largely silent on the topic because I don't want to over-promise. I'd love to talk in more depth about what my plans are for character sheets and game systems, but I haven't drawn the 1.0 line in the sand with respect to that part of the product, and I don't want to be spouting vapor.

Once again, thanks for your interest, and thanks to Heruca for starting this thread in the first place. Please feel free to contact me with questions, suggestions, concerns, rants, whatever you've got on your mind.
-- John Lammers (EpicTable's creator)
EpicTable - Your virtual tabletop is about to level up!
http://www.epictable.com

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:45 pm

Welcome to the site John ;-)

Thanks for filling us in.

Alynnalizza
Captain

Post by Alynnalizza » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:16 pm

Wow, someone close to home ;)

Seriously, I like the way you are progressing. Very interesting to see what happens.

Also, big props to Heruca who has no issues with posting such things upon his forum. (Just one reason I like Battlegrounds)

I try to keep up with all the VTT's just in case I ever get back into person-to-person playing (even if virtual). Thank you both!
Asgardnorth.net & Asgardnorth.com , 2 sources for your Fantasy Needs. Com for freebies, Net for commercial items. Stop by and take a look.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:16 am

Welcome, John Lammers.

Good luck with EpicTable, and be sure to keep us posted regarding any beta releases. The website looks really good, btw.

John Lammers
Cannon Fodder

Post by John Lammers » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:54 am

Thanks. I'll keep this board posted. And for what it's worth, when I first saw the Battlegrounds site, my first impression was, "Wow--this looks really professional." That sort of set the bar for me.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 18, 2008 11:53 am

Just came across this interview with John Lammers, where he talks about VTs in general, and his plans for EpicTable:
http://pixelsandpolyhedrons.ning.com/fo ... pic%3A1765

John Lammers
Cannon Fodder

massive site update

Post by John Lammers » Fri May 23, 2008 10:01 am

In the interest of keeping you guys posted...
I just released a fairly massive update to the EpicTable website. This was in response to a lot of feedback requesting more insight into EpicTable's development. There's a forum now, a blog/feed for developer notes and screenshots.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri May 23, 2008 11:01 am

Nice site update! And it's great that you've got forums now.

I'm impressed with the screenshots. EpicTable looks like it will be a serious contender in the VT market.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri May 30, 2008 6:56 am

Darn, I keep forgetting to register again ... busy, busy, busy <sigh>

Cisticola
Sergeant

Post by Cisticola » Sat May 31, 2008 7:38 am

Sites really looking good now John....finally got round to registering, so will be keeping an eye on the forums :D