Stuff I'd like to see

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Waldo Pepper
Soldier

Stuff I'd like to see

Post by Waldo Pepper » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi,
I got into BG mainly to use it for Indie games since it has FUDGE dice and cards and so it's got some of the features that are necessary to play the games I want. So far it's worked really well and the players have all gotten the hand of the basics. The one real weakness though is the chat interface which greatly lags behind the rest of the program's capabilities.

Specifically, what I'd like to see:
1) The option for players to change the color of their text. That would make it much easier to distinguish between each player's text.

2) The ability to post actions vs. dialog. It would allow the players some more flexibility in how they post. More importantly, it would give the GM the ability to distinguish between narrative and dialog which is very handy when it comes to running multiple NPCs.

3) A chatlog that is automatically saved. As it is now, I have a hard time editing it because for some reason the only place it comes out in a reasonable format is if I paste it into Notepad+++. I'd rather have it save locally as an txt file.

4) A more reasonable way to create NPCs. Having to place tokens on the map in order to get a new name is not exactly convenient.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:44 pm

A chat window overhaul might be a good focus for v1.4.

For #1, would these color assignments need to persist between game sessions?

Can you expound on #2?

Regarding #4, cloning any figure (with a copy and paste action) and renaming it to have the desired NPC name seems a lot easier than any alternative I can think of for managing non-token-based NPCs. What did you have in mind?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:01 am

heruca wrote:Regarding #4, cloning any figure (with a copy and paste action) and renaming it to have the desired NPC name seems a lot easier than any alternative I can think of for managing non-token-based NPCs. What did you have in mind?
What I'd have in mind would be a table with one column being the name, another being any associated image/token, another being night sight, and others being able to be added in future according to any developments on character sheets or other functionality.

This would make it very easy to set up a list of NPCs that might appear on the map at some point in the session/campaign

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:22 am

Dormouse wrote:
heruca wrote:Regarding #4, cloning any figure (with a copy and paste action) and renaming it to have the desired NPC name seems a lot easier than any alternative I can think of for managing non-token-based NPCs. What did you have in mind?
What I'd have in mind would be a table with one column being the name, another being any associated image/token, another being night sight, and others being able to be added in future according to any developments on character sheets or other functionality.

This would make it very easy to set up a list of NPCs that might appear on the map at some point in the session/campaign
Heh, in other words, an editable table-based object manager.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:26 am

Would that info be saved in an Encounter file, or would it be a global list that is always available regardless of which Encounter is currently loaded?

When you attach an image to an NPC, wouldn't you need a means to set the scaling, rotation, and centering offsets, as well?

Don't Deployment files already serve as a handy format for saving and loading NPCs (individuals or groups) that might be needed at any given time?

Might it not be a better solution to just add a new GM-only command to the chat window that allows the GM to speak as anyone, even if there is no token on the map?

For example, the GM might type this into the chat window:
  • ChatAs=Ghostly Voice
And "Ghostly Voice" would be added to the options listed in the "Chat As..." pulldown menu on the Chat window.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:01 pm

Omnidon wrote:Heh, in other words, an editable table-based object manager.
Yes, that is what I meant Omnidon. :)
heruca wrote:Would that info be saved in an Encounter file, or would it be a global list that is always available regardless of which Encounter is currently loaded?
The option would be nice, but an encounter file that could just be moved from one encounter to another would be file - especially as it would be editable.
heruca wrote:When you attach an image to an NPC, wouldn't you need a means to set the scaling, rotation, and centering offsets, as well?
Not at the time of attachment. These things could be done at time of placement; scaling could be done on table as it should be the same whatever the circumstances, same for centering offsets; rotation would have to be done at time of placement or straight after.
heruca wrote:Don't Deployment files already serve as a handy format for saving and loading NPCs (individuals or groups) that might be needed at any given time?
They are but this would be a different need & solution. If you are designing a set of encounter, it is very quick and easy to type the relevant info into a table. Once that was done, I'd see myself with the table open on part of the screen and the File Explorer/Manager open on the rest in thumbnail mode so I could drag and drop the images I want onto the table. Then save the table and move/copy it into the relevant encounter. This would be very very fast (and need not be done in BRPG, depending on the table design).
heruca wrote:Might it not be a better solution to just add a new GM-only command to the chat window that allows the GM to speak as anyone, even if there is no token on the map?

For example, the GM might type this into the chat window:
  • ChatAs=Ghostly Voice
And "Ghostly Voice" would be added to the options listed in the "Chat As..." pulldown menu on the Chat window.
I don't know if this would be a solution to Waldo Pepper's issue. It would be useful to be able to do this though. Being able to do this would not reduce the advantages of being able to do a table.

Waldo Pepper
Soldier

Post by Waldo Pepper » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:44 pm

heruca wrote:A chat window overhaul might be a good focus for v1.4.

For #1, would these color assignments need to persist between game sessions?
No. I'd be happy if users just had a chance to choose a color other than black.
Can you expound on #2?
It would be nice to have some way to distinguish between dialog (what a character says) from an action (what they do): FG2 has options to post either action or dialog and the two types of text show up differently.

I think Dormouse's suggestion for the list of NPCs is along the lines of what I was thinking of although the ability for a GM to just use some sort of command (ideally something short like /a New Name) would work ok too and certainly would be helpful for NPCs that only show up for a few lines of dialog.

heruca
Developer

Re: Stuff I'd like to see

Post by heruca » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:07 pm

Waldo Pepper wrote:1) The option for players to change the color of their text. That would make it much easier to distinguish between each player's text.
So you'd prefer that the players each chose their own text color, rather than the GM deciding who gets what color? Or would it be better if each client could select colors for each participant that only affects their own view of the chat text? (in other words, a local setting rather than a shared setting)

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:25 pm

heruca wrote:So you'd prefer that the players each chose their own text color, rather than the GM deciding who gets what color? Or would it be better if each client could select colors for each participant that only affects their own view of the chat text? (in other words, a local setting rather than a shared setting)
My two penn'orth would be that characters (not players - OOC could just default to grey text) should default to a colour pallet in order, but players should have the option to swap colours.

Re. actions vs. speech, this would be very handy. What I have used in the past is speech pretty much as BRPG has it now and actions in italics with no colon after the character name. The ideal would be to have the distinctions of action text be configurable in the Preferences box/file.
Balesir

Waldo Pepper
Soldier

Post by Waldo Pepper » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:23 am

Balesir wrote: My two penn'orth would be that characters (not players - OOC could just default to grey text) should default to a colour pallet in order, but players should have the option to swap colours.
That would be a good method, though a local setting would be just as useful and probably easier for people playing together regularly (i.e., Bob is alway RED which after a while we get used so that it's really easy to spot him. I would agree that OOC should remain grey/black. Really, it's just a matter of making it easier to spot the individual characters contributions.

As far as action/dialog, this is most important for me as a GM to use (with players it's not as much of an issue) because it lets me put up descriptions/story elements and separate them from dialog, comments, or OOC info. Bold faced text for Narrative would be great, regular for dialog, maybe OOC or emotes as italics - the use of italics is always iffy because the chosen font makes a big difference in how legible they are.

Waldo Pepper
Soldier

Post by Waldo Pepper » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:03 pm

Here's one that came up last night: The players would really prefer the ability to see multiple lines of text in the chat input area: typing is pretty difficult when you can't read what you're typing and most of them do not like the idea of having to switch back and forth between BG and notepad in order to type more than a sentence at once. As a GM I see their point: I switch back and forth because I have to (writing long descriptions is impossible with the chat window as is), but it seems to impact even the players pretty frequently.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:08 pm

Good point. Until I make this possible, you might try this:

Once the text input field fills up, end the text with "..." to indicate that more text is forthcoming, then hit Return to send the message, thereby clearing the slate for the continued text.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:04 pm

Waldo Pepper wrote:Specifically, what I'd like to see:
1) The option for players to change the color of their text. That would make it much easier to distinguish between each player's text.
This is now in v1.3f.

And OOC chat is now always in grey.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:24 am

Waldo Pepper wrote:It would be nice to have some way to distinguish between dialog (what a character says) from an action (what they do)
For v1.3f, I've added a "Narrator" voice to the "Chat As..." popup menu in the Chat window. This mode lets you type without the text being prefaced by the character's name and a colon, so it can be used for actions and emotes.

Narration appears in bold text, to set it apart from dialogue. The exact formatting will eventually be user-configurable.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:06 am

Waldo Pepper wrote:4) A more reasonable way to create NPCs. Having to place tokens on the map in order to get a new name is not exactly convenient.
For v1.3f, I've added a new GM-only command to the Chat window that allows the GM to speak as anyone, even if there is no token on the map to represent that person. This is handled by creating chat aliases as needed.

For example, the GM types this command into the chat window:
  • ChatAs=Ghostly Voice
...and "Ghostly Voice" is instantly added to the options listed in the "Chat As..." pulldown menu on the Chat window. Also, "Ghostly Voice" is automatically set as the selected option in the "Chat As..." menu.

Chat aliases created this way last for the remainder of the game session. If you wish to remove a chat alias during the session to avoid cluttering up the "Chat As..." menu, simply issue the command again and the existing chat alias is deleted.