Larger Maps for Miniatures Skirmish Gaming

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
jkantor
Cannon Fodder

Larger Maps for Miniatures Skirmish Gaming

Post by jkantor » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:48 pm

Battlegrounds would be usable as is for miniatures skirmish gaming - if only it allowed larger maps. That is a big potential market. There's a new Yahoo Group dedicated to using software like Battlegrounds for virtual miniatures games.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/vir ... g/messages

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:54 pm

How large would the maps need to be?

Individual map graphics can be up to 4000x4000 pixels, although you could extend the maps indefinitely using tile graphics if your computer can handle it.

You would not have the benefit of Snap-to-Grid or other grid-based features beyond the first 40x40 cells, but you could still use a custom grid if you do not need those features.

jkantor
Cannon Fodder

Post by jkantor » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:39 pm

You can definitely use the current 40x40 or so map size for some things, but if you translate a normal miniatures gaming table of 4'x6' used for 28mm figures to 1" squares, you'd need 48x72.

(And the grid snap-to wouldn't be necessary as long as you can measure distances directly.)

Actually 80x80 (0r 100x100) would probably be ideal. It would let you do more realistic games - and have a better representation of the boundaries of the battle (rather than just a table edge).

Of course a big consideration would be display speed. I just downloaded the demo and am using it on a 2G core 2 duo - and it's ok. How much does it slow down with a big, complex map and a lot of units? Say, 20 pieces of terrain and 50 units?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:52 pm

Welcome, jkantor.

I may soon be able to add variable-resolution snap-to-grid, so if you don't mind the minis looking half as big as an RPG mini, you would - in effect - be able to achieve the equivalent of an 80x80 inch grid.

Try the mass-deployment option to quickly lay down dozens of minis (or just clone the first batch). Within moments you'd have the answer to your question about display speed.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Zinkala
Sergeant

Post by Zinkala » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:14 pm

JKantor, thanks for the link to that yahoo group. I've been working on adapting BRPG to play a large scale mini game. I've been very busy with other things lately and waiting for the next update of BRPG, so not much progress from me. It's nice to see other people interested in this.