Modal Window issues

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
EvilKerek
Cannon Fodder

Modal Window issues

Post by EvilKerek » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:07 am

Hey, just started testing battlegrounds to see how it works. I like where it's headed but ran into a few issues. I too had the miscolored combo boxes that have already been discussed (4gig machine - it's my coding rig so resources are not a problem).

I've got a triple monitor setup - one of the things I like about battlegrounds over fantasy grounds is that the windows it pops up can be moved off the main screen - fantasy grounds really has a problem with this. However, I'm finding that the windows flip in and out of being modal - i.e. I can't click on the map screen. For instance, as I typed this, I opened up battlegrounds. It's now stuck on my screen - there's a 'are you sure you want to quit' box, but it won't respond - I suspect because the spash window is still showing. Strangely, the buttons (yes/no) can be pressed but do nothing. I had to do an end process on it.

So I restart and do the 'consult library'. Now I can't click on the menus. I clicked over here to type that in. I go back to battlegrounds. The range window is gone and now the menu bar is working again. Some very strange window interaction going on.

Are all these windows suppose to be modal?

Last night, as I popped the unit manager up and down and already had the 'range table' open, suddenly I couldn't click on the map. Had to close all the child windows to get it active again.

Also have gotten the script error problem several times on startup.

All of this is without ever doing in sort of user creations. This is just either loading the sample deployments or just messing around with the map.

Anyway, I like the idea of what you have going her but there appears to be some serious issues.

Let me know what I can do to help chase them down.
Regards,
EK

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:24 pm

Welcome, EvilKerek.

There are a number of panels in BRPG that are modal by design. These include:
Edit Figure
Edit Object
Edit Notes
Connection (not for technical reasons, just to avoid panel clutter)
Unit Manager

The window that shows things via the Library feature is also modal. I could make that window not be modal, if folks prefer.

Alert dialogs are also modal (e.g., "Are you sure you want to quit?". "Are you sure you want to delete this figure?"). Nothing I can do about that, and IMO it makes perfect sense that they be modal.

Regarding the script error, what version of Battlegrounds are you using? Are you able to identify any particular action that prompts the error?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:25 pm

Perhaps this is related to this issue?
viewtopic.php?t=1399

At least for me, BRPG treats multiple monitors as one huge monitor. Perhaps with 3 monitors his total resolution is too high for BRPG and that's screwing something up?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Omnidon, remind me after v1.3 to address that issue. I can make BRPG detect the resolution of each monitor and position panels appropriately in multi-monitor setups.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

EvilKerek
Cannon Fodder

Post by EvilKerek » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:27 am

Hrm..well my center screen is a 30" running 2560 x 1600 with two 19" panels at 1280x1024 on either side.

BRPG seems to come up fine (I read that other thread) on the center - I haven't really tried putting the windows on the other monitors. It does get a bit sluggish if I full screen it, but that doesn't really surprise me, nor do I intend to run it full screen. I'd rather my map screen be close to my users size as far as what they can see. I plan to use the extra real estate for manual PDFs and such.

Well I code for a living, so I'm ashamed of my post - there's nothing there to help you track the bug. I will see what I can do to recreate it with better notes.

It would be nice if the unit manager wasn't modal, but I can understand why it is. I guess my habit is to leave windows open since I've got the space - obviously this isn't the norm for most peole. Two monitors is a lot less rare now - and sure makes online gaming eaiser.

From your list - the library window should NOT be modal, correct? It was acting modal for me.

I will do more careful testing today - was a bit crimped for time the last time I lookd at it. I will also test on a cleaner system that is hooked to my 30" - my dev computer is a bit messy with all the environments.

BTW, I'm running 1.2f - and I have duplicated one (minor) bug. If you try to exit the program while the splash screen is up, it won't exit. You get a confirmation screen that does nothing.

EK

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:36 am

The Unit Manager may eventually be reworked from scratch, in which case it will no longer be modal, and will support multi-unit selections.