Figure Name?

"How Do I...?"
Sholari
General

Figure Name?

Post by Sholari » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:42 am

Is there a way to change the Name of a figure after you hand it off to your players? I couldn't find a way to do this.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:10 am

Right-click on a figure and select the "Edit Figure..." command.

Or right-click on an object and select the "Edit Object..." command.

In both cases a panel will open and you should be able to change the unit's name, as well as other settings.

Mac users with a one-button mouse have to control-click a unit to perform a right-click.

The GM should be able to invoke these commands regardless of the fact that the unit has been handed off to a player.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Sholari
General

Post by Sholari » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:25 am

When Me and my group were playing last night there was no character name showing up on the edit figure on my end, the Host.

I can get it to show up with no one connected.

I tested out my second computer which has a GM license. I connected it to the host computer and on the client end there is no edit figure function. I also had an error connecting which stated "Unable to open file C:\...\UIMAIW.dxr becuase it is already open with write permission by another user." after clicking OK the Director Player Error poped up "Property not found #title Script Error. Continue?" i clicked YES and it seemed ok except it couldn't view the edit Figure becasue it wasn't there.

Now I when i Host my players are using my Floating Licenses. I am not sure if there is a difference code wise between players and floaters. There shouln't be. I hate to go through the process to uninstall the GM licenese from my second computer to test out the floating licenses, but I may just have to do that.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:30 am

No need to uninstall the license. If you just temporarily change the EXE's filename, you should be able to launch in Demo mode, if you want to investigate further. But there shouldn't be any difference between one connected client and another, regardless of whether the client is in Demo mode or is licensed, or is using a Floating License.

The UIMIAW error seems to be fixed in v1.3e, btw.

I'll test out the "Edit..." commands tomorrow with a client connected, to determine if it's a bug.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Sholari
General

Post by Sholari » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:33 am

ok thanks I will do some futher digging.

Sholari
General

Post by Sholari » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:35 am

oh and by the way my players were very impressed with the BG software. They had played the Fantasy Grounds and thought that this BG software was better, as I do too. :lol:

Sholari
General

Post by Sholari » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:26 pm

Heruca,

Which file do you temporarily change the .exe extension if you want to use the Demo Version?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:39 pm

Rename the file "Battlegrounds RPG Edition.exe" to "<some_other_name>.exe".
But don't remove the ".exe" suffix.

Sholari
General

Post by Sholari » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:27 am

I figured out why i was having trouble trying to change the characters name. Once you have created a tolken and then add a new tolken pose you are unable to view there name in the edit figure.. mode when that pose is choosen. Now if you switch back to the original pose you can change there name.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:10 pm

Sholari wrote:I figured out why i was having trouble trying to change the characters name. Once you have created a tolken and then add a new tolken pose you are unable to view there name in the edit figure.. mode when that pose is choosen. Now if you switch back to the original pose you can change there name.
I originally split that into a separate bug report, but after testing it I decided to move it back to this thread. I discovered that the current functionality was probably intentional and that this is more of a usability issue.

It seems that when you use Edit Figure on a figure that has a secondary token selected, it brings up the Edit Token panel instead of the Edit Figure panel.

My recommendation is either to expand the Edit Token panel to include things such as figure name and unit owner, or to add a separate menu option for editing tokens that does not replace the primary Edit Figure panel.

Sholari
General

Post by Sholari » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:54 pm

I would agree with Omnidon about having some way of editing the figure Name or at least stating that this is a multiple token unit to edit tolken go to orignal tolken.

When I was hosting I was finding that for every new Figure I had to place on the board I had to adjust the Scale, Rotation, Vertical offset, and Horizontal offset for each figure placed. Then I found away around the Scale which was to load standard deployments and add tolkens to them. It did save a bunch of time. I then assigned these tolkens to the players, eveything went well except I couldn't change the name for the Tolkens. Which I have found out that you cann't until you return to the orignal tolken. I also found out the hotkey for this which is < or >. This filps through the tolkens for the figure. I realize I was not using the feature properly which was only to add different poses and not to change figures.

I now have begun the long and tidious process of saving deployments for each character. That way each Figure will have the correct settings, portrait, Label, Status, Base, Included in Turn Sequencer, and Disposition to Party. If anyone knows of a quicker way to do this I would be very greatful to hear it.

Thanks

Oh and btw I am not knocking this software. I understand why it has all the options avaible to you and I am very greatful that it has all of these options. Just wondering if there is a quicker way to set up the figures.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:09 pm

You should only have to set up scale, rotation, and offsets for each piece of art ONCE. The first time you do it, it saves the settings as defaults for the next time that piece of art is deployed.

If you change your mind about the defaults later on, just set up some new settings and make sure the "Save as Default" checkbox is checked off in the Unit Settings panel, prior to hitting the "Done" button.

Deployments are definitely the way to go for things like party members that need to be placed on every new Encounter.