Feedback of My Sessions

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
nightwalker450
General

Feedback of My Sessions

Post by nightwalker450 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:04 pm

Our first session was mostly a success, only a few drawbacks that we were able to work with.

First was FoW being slow. I've updated now to 1.3f though, and it is working better, but some of my players don't have the best laptops so I think I'll still keep it to a minimum.

Next was as a GM I was having difficulties with tracking stuff in the Turn Sequencer. This was because I had to edit a figure, in order to get its name, then go to the turn Sequencer and find that figure to adjust his hit points. Is there someway to get a figures name without going into edit figure, and without turning the label on? My idea would be when you right click on a figure have its name appear as a Header on the pop-up box. On the plus side, I really like being able to adjust statuses from the Turn Sequencer now with 1.3f. :D

Label's for status effects was our next issue. They work well, but my group ended up in a thick cluster fight and we all had to zoom in pretty far so that we could see more than just labels. Maybe a hot-key for people to turn labels on and off, so they can flip it on to check effects, then switch it back off. Just an idea, but for now some of my players like doing the zoom in thing that way they really only have an idea of whats in their near vicinity while fighting... The wizard that was getting mauled outside of the cluster might have a different opinion though.

And finally, my daughter hit the hibernate button on the GM's computer... But I think I'll have to find my own way to fix that. And my players thought they were rolling poorly, but most all of them were using standard dice, only one using the ones on battlegrounds. So everyone was evenly affected by bad luck, and I've already told them I can't do anything about that. :D

Overall, everyone is looking forward to next session.
Last edited by nightwalker450 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:19 pm

nightwalker450 wrote:Is there someway to get a figures name without going into edit figure, and without turning the label on? My idea would be when you right click on a figure have its name appear as a Header on the pop-up box.
I'll create a dynamic portrait extension that can display the name of the attached figure as soon as the necessary Flash integration is added. (v1.4)

heruca
Developer

Re: First Full Session Mostly a Success

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:44 pm

nightwalker450 wrote:as a GM I was having difficulties with tracking stuff in the Turn Sequencer. This was because I had to edit a figure, in order to get its name, then go to the turn Sequencer and find that figure to adjust his hit points. Is there someway to get a figures name without going into edit figure, and without turning the label on?
I don't understand why you are having to "Edit Figure..." to find out a unit's name. The unit name is already listed in the Turn Sequencer, in the very first column.

The only thing I can imagine is that you couldn't see the first column because you're tracking a boatload of data and you had scrolled all the way to the right of the table.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:02 pm

heruca wrote:
nightwalker450 wrote:as a GM I was having difficulties with tracking stuff in the Turn Sequencer. This was because I had to edit a figure, in order to get its name, then go to the turn Sequencer and find that figure to adjust his hit points. Is there someway to get a figures name without going into edit figure, and without turning the label on?
I don't understand why you are having to "Edit Figure..." to find out a unit's name. The unit name is already listed in the Turn Sequencer, in the very first column.
He means that the turn sequencer doesn't indicate which unit is currently selected, only which unit has the current turn.

Of course, he could just hit U to see which unit is currently selected in the unit manager, although he still would have to search for the unit's name in the turn sequencer.

On a related matter, there should be a way to focus on a unit using the turn sequencer, like you can with the unit manager.

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Exactly Omnidon, its not a matter of unable to figure it out. Its a matter of some extra effort needed to figure out who is being targeted.

Side Note: Is it the disposition to party that makes the backgrounds different for the figures? I might have to use that. :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:11 pm

Omnidon wrote:On a related matter, there should be a way to focus on a unit using the turn sequencer, like you can with the unit manager.
You can do that already. Just click on the portrait or token image in the Turn Sequencer and it will select that unit and auto-center the map on that unit. You can also hold down the Control key (Option key on a Mac) while clicking on a row in the TS and it will do the same thing (this is handy for when no unit artwork is being shown in the TS).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:13 pm

nightwalker450 wrote:Side Note: Is it the disposition to party that makes the backgrounds different for the figures? I might have to use that. :D
Yes. If Disposition isn't set for a unit, the background for that row in the TS will be grey. Green for friendly, red for Hostile.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:14 pm

heruca wrote:You can do that already. Just click on the portrait or token image in the Turn Sequencer and it will select that unit and auto-center the map on that unit. You can also hold down the Control key (Option key on a Mac) while clicking on a row in the TS and it will do the same thing (this is handy for when no unit artwork is being shown in the TS).
Ah ok great.

And by the way nightwalker, in case you didn't catch what I said, using the unit manager is an easier way of finding the selected unit's name than using Edit Figure.

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:25 pm

Just tried the , its a lot easier than editing the figure. Also being able to select a figure from the turn sequencer will help as well. There was a couple times I remember wishing I could do that, but they were rather minor occurrences. I will need to point it out to my players though, because they are usually running 3 people per laptop so I'm sure they'd like to be able to locate themselves easier.

I haven't been displaying the tokens in the turn sequencer so never even stumbled across that.

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:18 pm

Alright, second session with 1.3f went awesomely. Only one real issue the whole time and it was my internet connection (Router decided to change IP address). And a few comments of I need to get a large LCD tv and hang on the wall of the gaming room...

But notes from the DM side:
I used the to pull up units, but if it needs the scroll bar for the units, and they aren't on the initial page, they don't highlight. Or at least this is what I think was causing the problem. Either way after they started killing things off it worked well again. I think I just need to be sure I rearrange everything for now to make sure units are on top. (25 tiles, 20 creatures, 5 players, misc markers for AoEs)

Built one encounter with a large creature on hex (triangle base). I was using portrait tokens, and I noticed that if I rotate facing the token stays in the same place relative to the center of the "front" hex. Would it be possible to have the token stay in the same position relative to the center of the triangle instead? Then I could enlarge the token to fill the triangle, and he would rotate properly.

Overall, it seems the program is being a huge success with my group, and I might end up doing more sessions (going to weekly instead of biweekly) in the future.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks for the session feedback, nightwalker450.

Regarding the new triangle hex base that was recently added, I think I forgot to account for portrait-style tokens when I programmed that in. I'll try to address that issue soon.

And yeah, the Unit Manager needs an overhaul, much like the one the Turn Sequencer got in v1.3.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:15 pm

nightwalker450 wrote:Built one encounter with a large creature on hex (triangle base). I was using portrait tokens, and I noticed that if I rotate facing the token stays in the same place relative to the center of the "front" hex. Would it be possible to have the token stay in the same position relative to the center of the triangle instead? Then I could enlarge the token to fill the triangle, and he would rotate properly.
This bug is fixed for v1.4 (due to be released soon).

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:56 am

Thanks, players haven't even made it to the encounter with the large creature. So now they'll never know that it was originally set up different. :D

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:29 am

Had a small issue today. One of my players couldn't get it to ask me for a floating license. I still had 2 open (out of 5), but couldn't get him one. The other 3 were LAN connections, and he is the only one that connects via internet. So he had to restart every 45 minutes... There is no way for a GM to verify the players licenses, or issue floating ones besides when they first connect, correct?

Possibly related to this, I was having issues with my internet connection, which did cause him to disconnect a few times (both on Battlegrounds and Skype). So I don't know if a bad connection would somehow prevent that or not? I don't think so, but just thought I'd put it out there. Either way my service is getting upgraded this week, so hopefully that doesn't happen next time. Only other problem then was that our internet person's cat attacked the reset button on his computer. :D

The group has really grown into using battlegrounds, and are able to operate it fairly efficiently. So now this week I work on training another GM at how to use it. He'll be running another session opposite our current ones every other weekend. Yay for weekly gaming!

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:14 pm

We did today's session, trying 1.4. And two of the connections had severe script errors (repeatedly came up). And after trying a redownload, had them try again, and still constant script errors. So we gave up on 1.4, and went back to the 1.3f. It was odd though, because it was just 2 players out of 4 (5 counting GM). Also we had tried the disable command panel, but that didn't help with these errors. One thing, I did have one object set up for the everyone to control, which I had never done before (it not being available). This is only in hindsight though, so we never tried again without that object.

Anyways on 1.3f, we had an odd issue of triangle base for a figure was showing differently on my screen then it was on theirs. It was rotated another square for me then it was on theirs. Could this of been due to me rotating it before showing it (it was moving out of their view for a few turns)?

Another issue I had was a NPC, not showing up as an NPC to the characters. So they were able to see his Name, HP, and other stats. I couldn't get him to hide that information, so I finally just flagged everything as hostile, since I knew that completely hid them from initiative order in this version.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:47 pm

nighwalker, there's a serious bug in v1.4 which makes it completely unusable with players logged into the session. It MAY work OK if you only have objects and no figures deployed.

I'll look into the triangle base rotation issue and will try to fix it for v1.4a, but FYI, it shouldn't matter if you rotated that unit while it was still hidden from the players.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:18 am

nightwalker450 wrote:Another issue I had was a NPC, not showing up as an NPC to the characters. So they were able to see his Name, HP, and other stats. I couldn't get him to hide that information, so I finally just flagged everything as hostile, since I knew that completely hid them from initiative order in this version.
Did you configure the Turn Sequencer to mask those stats from non-owners? I believe stat-masking only happens automatically if the unit is Hidden.

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:07 pm

All of the other NPC's on the board were masking properly it was just one or two of the NPC's that weren't. So it wasn't a general setting, it was just affecting 2 figures.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:10 am

nightwalker450 wrote:Anyways on 1.3f, we had an odd issue of triangle base for a figure was showing differently on my screen then it was on theirs. It was rotated another square for me then it was on theirs. Could this of been due to me rotating it before showing it (it was moving out of their view for a few turns)?
I just tested this on v1.4a, and it's keeping unit rotation in perfect sync for a figure with a triangle hex base. So either the problem fixed itself (probably due to me fixing something else), or it's not an easy problem to replicate.

Please let me know if this issue is fixed for you once you get your hands on v1.4a.

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:10 pm

Haven't had a chance to try the triangle bases yet.

But some issues in our last session.

As GM I wasn't getting any incoming dice rolls (and couldn't even open Dice Roll History). Quitting out, and restarting it fixed the problem though.

Some of the players failed to load the entire map, all of the objects and figures were present but the background didn't completely show up. I'm going to start exporting the media assets and have them load those before hand now, so it should solve those problems. I tried resend missing pieces, but it didn't do any good (and actually resulted in 2 players getting excessive script errors and having to restart). I just ended up changing the map to one I had used before without problem. The encounters of this last session had more objects and figures then I have ever used previously, so there was a lot more to transfer this time.

I think my prior issue with NPC's showing their HP's was a bug that had existed in previous versions that I was just exploiting. I think for some reason prior versions automatically hid those, and the current I just have to be sure to rebuild my Turn Sequencer settings and hide them from non-owners.

Every once in a while we have a problem of a unit moving on everyone's screen except for the person who is moving it. (The move, the figure moves, then reverts to its original position). This has been happening in previous versions but its only been a minor inconvenience.

Also script errors, when i try to edit a figure (actually just bringing up the figure menu), and a player starts moving another figure at the same time. I don't remember that it was happening before, but I might have always managed to avoid the two things happening at once.

Base Type on figures, if I go in and edit them sometimes just have gibberish text in them. Usually occurs on figures with Hostile bases.

---

Alot of minor things here, but overall I thought everything went well. The players were a tad irritated with the map thing, but I think that had more to do with my encounters becoming more complex and trying to transfer all of the data across.

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Might as well keep this up, though our problems are more and more minor.

We had a bad copy or load on a couple of the computers. After redoing it though they were fine. The problem they were having is that they were unable to have an updated turn sequencer (always showed blank). One just put the 1.4b patch in again, the other had to do a complete reload before it worked (I think, I was running the session while another player was working on the laptop, so don't know exactly). Either way it gave the players more confidence in the program, knowing that it was a file transfer issue and not with the program itself (1.4 worried some players significantly).

Having the players import the encounter assets sped things up dramatically, I will be doing this from now on.

A few times during the session we had the problem of the person moving their figure and it showing up on all screens except their own. The person moving, sees the figure move one space and then go back to where it was. I've yet to figure out anything that might be causing this, because its not constant. Perhaps its multiple people doing things at the same time?

Not sure if this is a bug, or how its supposed to work (either is fine by me). I have Hit Points only able to be seen by the owner, yet everyone in the group can see all of the PC's hit points. It is successfully blocking them from seeing the NPC's hit points.

Also figures that are hostile only have a colored line in the turn sequencer if they are shown, hidden ones are gray. This might be intentional as well though.

And the Labels in the Notes, which I had to disable because it was driving me nuts. I've already posted that in the bugs forum though.

Keep up the good work! My encounters keep getting more and more complex, and I'm really glad I'm not having to do this on standard tabletop.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:12 am

nightwalker450 wrote:A few times during the session we had the problem of the person moving their figure and it showing up on all screens except their own. The person moving, sees the figure move one space and then go back to where it was. I've yet to figure out anything that might be causing this, because its not constant. Perhaps its multiple people doing things at the same time?
That's a likely culprit. When this happens, the GM should force a full game-state update, to get everyone back "in sync". One way to do this is to use the Unit Manager to move a unit up or down one slot in the stacking order.
nightwalker450 wrote:Not sure if this is a bug, or how its supposed to work (either is fine by me). I have Hit Points only able to be seen by the owner, yet everyone in the group can see all of the PC's hit points. It is successfully blocking them from seeing the NPC's hit points.
This may be a minor bug. I suspect it may only be obscuring PC HPs from Adversary Players.
nightwalker450 wrote:Also figures that are hostile only have a colored line in the turn sequencer if they are shown, hidden ones are gray. This might be intentional as well though.
Yup, that's intentional.

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:02 pm

Omnidon wrote:
nightwalker450 wrote:Is there someway to get a figures name without going into edit figure, and without turning the label on? My idea would be when you right click on a figure have its name appear as a Header on the pop-up box.
I'll create a dynamic portrait extension that can display the name of the attached figure as soon as the necessary Flash integration is added. (v1.4)
Just wondering if this ever went in? I haven't looked (using to figure out what was targeted has worked great), but got to thinking about this again today.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:09 pm

In recent beta releases, you can assign the "Character Name" label to the figures, then select the "Hide Text Labels" command from the BG button's popup menu. By doing that, all text labels are hidden, but you can position the mouse cursor over any figure to see just its label. It's a great way to see who's who without cluttering up the screen.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:03 pm

nightwalker450 wrote:
Omnidon wrote:I'll create a dynamic portrait extension that can display the name of the attached figure as soon as the necessary Flash integration is added. (v1.4)
Just wondering if this ever went in? I haven't looked (using to figure out what was targeted has worked great), but got to thinking about this again today.

v1.4 came about sooner than I expected and, aside from being updated to support Flash 8 (Director v10.1.1), it had no additional Flash support added that I know of.

I was just in the process of playing around with Flash communication in BRPG again, and was just about to message heruca about it.

Hopefully we'll get something going soon, although you probably shouldn't get your hopes up again for a portrait extension quite yet.