New To BGRPG...Got some questions....

"How Do I...?"
ashaman13
Sergeant

New To BGRPG...Got some questions....

Post by ashaman13 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:22 pm

Hey I downloaded the demo and I am really liking what I see so far. I am really interested in purchasing the product but I have to "SELL" it to my players first. If they don't think its worth the money then it's pretty much useless for me to buy the GM license. So what I'm trying to do is make a couple of encounters on the demo for 4e DnD and run my players through them.

The problem is my players aren't all very computer savvy so I would have to build all the Dice Macros for them and attach them to their characters. Is their any way to build a set of Macros for each player and Email it to them? Or can I just attach them somehow to their characters?

Also I wanted to load a map I created using the DnD Dungeon Tile Map Builder tool they have on their official website but I can't really zoom in much. Is their anyway to enlarge the maps without them pixelating so bad you can't make anything out?

I have more questions but I got to run some errands. Any help is Greatly Appreciated. Thanks!

AKA
bydchon in the wizards forums

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Welcome, ashaman13.

Yes, the GM can attach dice macros to any unit, including player-owned units, so you can make your players' dice macros for them, if you want. Simply right-click on a figure and select "Dice Macros> Add Dice Macro". Just be sure to save the Encounter afterwards, in order to retain all that info for your playtest session.

The Demo unfortunately doesn't allow you to save Deployment files, but when/if you get the GM Client license, that's an even better way to save the entire adventuring party for quick and easy inclusion in any Encounter you create.

The D&D Dungeon Tile Map Builder only works with fairly low resolution images, so its output is not ideal for BRPG unless you plan to play zoomed way out (and that's not much fun, if you're into nice visuals). You may get better results with this free web-based mapping tool, or a mapping program like Dundjinni.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:09 pm

Thanks for the info but now i have another problem and its really stumping me. I tried to test the program with one of my players. We both have the demo version 1.4c. I opened up brpg and pressed the connection button. I clicked host game and followed the on screen instructions. My friend did the same except he clicked join game.

Well, after waiting a long time for his computer to establish a connection we decided it wasn't working. We go online and follow the Port Forwarding instructions. I log into my linksys, change the settings described, (1626-1626/enabled) and still nothing.

We were not able to connect and after 45 minutes his brpg program timed out and we just called it quits. Can anybody PLEASE help me out...i'm sooo disappointed that we couldn't get it to work...This program seems soo promising i hate to not be able to buy it cuz i couldn't get it to connect.

BTW Computer Specs:

2GB RAM
250 GB HD (59.5 available)
AMD Turion 64 x2 2.20 Ghz
Windows Vista 32 bit SP1

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:17 pm

The first step is getting the host attempt to succeed. Did it? Or did is stay on the "Establishing Connection" screen for you?

Assuming you DID host successfully (it's obvious because the Connection panel closes and the Chat window opens), do you have any security software installed that could be blocking incoming connections (i.e., your player's attempt to connect)?

Another thing to make sure is that you didn't give your player your internal IP address. Since you have a router, you need to press the "IP" button on the Chat window in order to find out your external IP address. THAT is the IP you want to give your player.

Let me know if any of this helps you two connect to each other.

Edit: Generally, if the program doesn't establish a connection within about 10-15 seconds, it's not going to, so there's no need to wait around any longer.

One other thing you might try is disabling any software firewalls (at least temporarily, for testing purposes) to see if that's the culprit.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:34 pm

I was able to host (chat box opened) and I gave my friend the external IP and he couldn't connect. I'm going to turn off my firewalls (windows/norton) and see if that works but I'm a little worried about not having any protection...

EDIT:

Also does the player need to port forward also? He has a wireless router but is not hosting.

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:44 pm

Update:

I turned off my windows firewall AND my norton firewall and have followed the port forwarding instructions for my router and attempted to connect.

Nothing.

we waited at least a minute to establish a connection and it was a no go. My chat window comes up and i give my player the external IP but all it says on his end is establishing connection. I appreciate the help but I don't know what to do. And if i do get this figured out i'm dreading doing this to my friends computers (vista, XP, and OSX ugh...)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:57 pm

ashaman13 wrote:I was able to host (chat box opened) and I gave my friend the external IP
OK, we're halfway there. :wink:
ashaman13 wrote:Also does the player need to port forward also? He has a wireless router but is not hosting.
No, only the host/GM needs to set up port forwarding or worry about firewalls.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:01 am

ashaman13 wrote:I turned off my windows firewall AND my norton firewall and have followed the port forwarding instructions for my router and attempted to connect.

Nothing.
It sounds like you've done everything you need to. I can only think of two things:
1) A typo in the IP address your player entered (doubt it)
2) Norton claims to be off but is really still interfering.

For the record, it isn't usually this hard to get people to connect.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:11 am

This might be worth checking.
nortonweb wrote:Are you sure Windows firewall is off.

As far as I can remember Norton switches it on when Norton is turned of and you need to explicitly turn windows firewall off.

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:13 am

man this suuuuucks.... well here's a screen shot of my port forwarding, maybe i'm doing something wrong here:

[/img]Image

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:17 am

That looks fine, assuming your computer's internal IP is actually 192.168.1.100.

You might also want to set it up under the "Single Port Forwarding" tab, in case it makes a difference.

Is there any chance your ISP is blocking certain ports?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:19 am

BTW, are you by chance available on any IM client? I might be able to help quicker in a real-time chat.

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:23 am

i used command prompt: ipconfig to make sure my IP address was correct and i'm not sure how to read it.

My default gateway matches the above IP but i also have an Ipv4 that is slightly different IP numbers...

How would i know if my ISP is blocking the port? Call them?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:29 am

I've reinstalled v1.4c and am available (for a little while) to test with you, if you want. I can either host for you, or try to join your session.

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:29 am

I adjusted the single port forwarding and will try disabling the firewalls again. I'm getting booted off the laptop so I'll be back tomorrow to figure this out. Thanks so much for the help

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:30 am

well in that case i'm still available too!!!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:32 am

ashaman13 wrote:How would i know if my ISP is blocking the port? Call them?
I suppose. It's kind of a longshot, but I've heard some ISP are in the habit of blocking ports to prevent peer-to-peer file sharing.

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:10 pm

Yaaa! Fixed it!

I was able to fix it with help from my friend. Seems it was an error on my part...D'oh!

Port Forwarding IP was supposed to be like this

Start/End IP
1626/5000 1.101

I had it like this

1626/1626 1.100

Small error, LOADS of frustration...

I was able to host successfully. Thanks SOOO much for all the effort Heruca...I feel like such an idiot.

Now all i have to do is email him the map i want to use and have him load it in his maps so we can try out an encounter right? Any objects,figures, maps, and sound has to be emailed to each player before we play right?

Oh yeah, also when my player and i were messing around with it online I wasn't able to use the Attack/target commands...they were missing. Is their something i need to press to enable those commands to be shown?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:25 pm

Excellent that you got it working!

To answer your question, you shouldn't have to email the player anything, since the peer-to-peer transfers should take care of that automatically during the game. However, some users have had issues with peer-to-peer map transfers, so if you email your player the map and have him load it up prior to joining your game, you may save yourself a bit of trouble.

With the GM Client, you can bundle up all of an Encounter's media (maps, tokens, audio, etc.) in an external media bundle that you can distribute to your players. All they need to do is put that file in their "Media Asset Bundles" folder, and BRPG will automatically import all the media when needed. You can even password-protect the media bundle to ensure your players don't peek at the content prematurely.

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:40 pm

Hey i have another question! (surprise surprise LOL)

How do i prevent my players from seeing my dice macro's? When i roll dice my players can click the inspect dice macro and see my monsters bonuses to attack and damage.

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:57 pm

heruca wrote:Excellent that you got it working!

To answer your question, you shouldn't have to email the player anything, since the peer-to-peer transfers should take care of that automatically during the game. However, some users have had issues with peer-to-peer map transfers, so if you email your player the map and have him load it up prior to joining your game, you may save yourself a bit of trouble.

With the GM Client, you can bundle up all of an Encounter's media (maps, tokens, audio, etc.) in an external media bundle that you can distribute to your players. All they need to do is put that file in their "Media Asset Bundles" folder, and BRPG will automatically import all the media when needed. You can even password-protect the media bundle to ensure your players don't peek at the content prematurely.
Question on Media Bundling. I've used it, but I'm wondering if I've been using it correctly. I distributed it, then had them do an import media before the game.

If its just in the folder though will it update from theirs automatically?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:12 pm

ashaman13 wrote:How do i prevent my players from seeing my dice macro's? When i roll dice my players can click the inspect dice macro and see my monsters bonuses to attack and damage.
Right now, players can inspect any macro and see everything about it except for whether it was a fudged roll. Would you all prefer that GM rolls be un-inspectable by players?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:15 pm

nightwalker450 wrote:Question on Media Bundling. I've used it, but I'm wondering if I've been using it correctly. I distributed it, then had them do an import media before the game.

If its just in the folder though will it update from theirs automatically?
If exporting was the last thing you did with that Encounter, the media will automatically import itself on the players' end, if they have the bundle in the "Media Asset Bundles" folder. So you can skip the bit where players manually import the bundle contents.

However, if you later make changes to the Encounter and re-save it, the link to the bundle is lost (unless you export the bundle again).

ashaman13
Sergeant

Post by ashaman13 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:58 pm

heruca wrote:Would you all prefer that GM rolls be un-inspectable by players?
It would be a nice option to have for DM's that have nosey players LOL

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:25 am

The media bundle they have though I assume needs to keep the same name as the encounter? (I've been changing the names to prevent them from getting any hints as to the encounter).

I don't know if anything more really shows from the inspection then from the roll history? Since the +'s and actual dice are shown, it might just slow them down a little if they can't inspect the macro. As GM I just roll my dice to myself, that way they don't see them, unless I want them to. :D