Import Bundle of Maps or Encounters

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Farland
High Commander

Import Bundle of Maps or Encounters

Post by Farland » Sun May 24, 2009 7:07 pm

An idea occurred to me. Since the only thing that is really a transfer problem for BRPG is maps (other assets like objects and figures transfer quickly and reliably the large majority of the time), and since the "resend missing map pieces" feature has never functioned reliably, the following would be a very good feature:

The program needs the ability to import every map in a zip file or a folder automatically. For example, instead of exporting every encounter that I create and then having my players import them one by one (sometimes as many as ten at aq time), if I could just drop all my maps in a folder, give them each the folder, and have them simply select "Import group of maps," whereupon they point the program toward the folder with the maps and it imports all the maps therein. That would be greatly beneficial.

It doesn't matter to me if they can view the maps in the folder or not. It might to others, though, so maybe GM clients should have an "export group of maps" feature that creates a media asset bundle that contains, say, 10 maps. It occurs to me that this would work for groups of encounters too.

In other words, map transfer is unreliable, resend missing map pieces is broken, and individually exporting and importing eaqch encounter is odious. I am calling for a better way.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 24, 2009 9:44 pm

How's this for a solution?
In any of the media-browsing panels (map, object, figure, visual aid, audio, etc.), if you hold down the Shift key, the button that you use to OK your selection changes its text to say "Import All". Clicking it imports all the assets in the folder you are currently browsing.

I may have to do some special handling for a maps folder to ensure that the user doesn't run out of RAM during the import process.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Mon May 25, 2009 10:22 am

That sounds great. Was that already a feature?

And if the maps imported are the same name as the maps in the encounters, they will be autoloaded, right?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 25, 2009 10:45 am

1. No, it wasn't a planned feature, but I can see it being useful, so what I wrote above is a possible future addition.

2. Yes.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Tue May 26, 2009 3:10 pm

Great. Thanks. How soon could it be implemented?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 26, 2009 3:40 pm

Expect this feature in the v1.5.x series of releases. If v1.4g passes muster as the new official release, I'll begin working on the v1.5 series.

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:08 pm

If I understand what you are suggesting, a bulk imoprt of all unknown maps in the map folder would be handy. The player can drop all of files in the map folder and do an easy update, easier than loading one at a time.

However, with that said it's still not optimal. One of the problems I've had with including a JPG map in an export is that they come out huge. A standard JPG that is only a few hundred KB suddenly explodes to 2 MB when exported.

Sending out a series of encounters when the total of 4 or 5 media bundles is around 1.5 MB isn't a big deal. When they are 2 MB each, that is a bit more of a problem.

Generally all I've been able to do is send a map of that type seperately as a file and have the players import it manually, and then have an encounter file (and media export) without the map, that I then add the map to after we load it.

This isn't optimal, but better than nothing, but adds a few steps that would be nice to avoid.

It can also cause problems such as our last game where a miscommunication caused one of our players to not load the map as necessary, which caused a bit of a mess and a delay. The bulk import wouldn't have helped because the player though all that was necessary was to drop them all in the media asset folder (I had included full instructions in the email, but people usually don't actually read my emails).

If the program could handle an export of the JPG without decompressing it, or if the program would automatically check the map folder on a client for a map of the same title, that would be pretty cool.
Running 4 player D&D 4th ed. campaign over the net using BRPG 1.6b.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri May 29, 2009 10:57 pm

And don't forget that you can use server-based maps, which avoids pre-sending anything to the players and isn't prone to player-side error (since the players don't have to DO anything).

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sun May 31, 2009 9:42 pm

heruca wrote:And don't forget that you can use server-based maps, which avoids pre-sending anything to the players and isn't prone to player-side error (since the players don't have to DO anything).
How do you do that again? I forgot.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 31, 2009 10:33 pm

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:26 pm

I did the server side maps a few times, unfortunately I don't have access to my own webpage to do that with, and had to borrow space from one of the players.

There was a version - a 1.3 IIRC - that it didn't seem to work with. Although I imagine it works now. That is a better option, although still requires a few more steps than I am fond of. During a game I'd really like to be able to just hit load encounter and be done.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:36 pm

If your ISP doesn't offer you free webspace, try PMing Omnidon and he can probably set you up with some webspace on the BG server.

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:51 pm

Okay, thanks, very kind of you.

I will definitely check my ISP though.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:43 pm

heruca wrote:If your ISP doesn't offer you free webspace, try PMing Omnidon and he can probably set you up with some webspace on the BG server.
Indeed, my offer of free webspace to BRPG regulars still stands.

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:37 pm

::edit!::

Okay, I think I found it. A personal webspace thing with a 100 MB of space. For free just for having my account.

If this doesn't work out I may still hit you up for that space, but this sounds like what I need.

Thanks!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:51 pm

Kato, is this any help? Or this?

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

:)

You've been reading my IP!

I had established my web page... and then had no idea what the heck to do with it. The FTP instructions are very helpful, thanks.

Yeesh... its my ISP, and someone else has to go find the instructions for me to know what to do with it. Colour me embarrassed! :oops:

Suppose my next question will be how to set up the macros in BRPG so I can get the files from the web site to my players quickly and easily.

That should be in a different forum section tho.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:42 pm

kato42 wrote::)

Nah, I just looked at your email address below your post. :wink:
kato42 wrote:Suppose my next question will be how to set up the macros in BRPG so I can get the files from the web site to my players quickly and easily.
If you mean text macros for quickly and easily loading your server-based maps during a game, look here.

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:11 pm

heruca wrote:
kato42 wrote::)

Nah, I just looked at your email address below your post. :wink:
Oh, well that works too! :lol:

kato42 wrote:Suppose my next question will be how to set up the macros in BRPG so I can get the files from the web site to my players quickly and easily.
If you mean text macros for quickly and easily loading your server-based maps during a game, look here.
Yes, that is what I'm looking for, thanks!