How do you delete a Dice Macro

Doval
Sergeant

How do you delete a Dice Macro

Post by Doval » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:57 am

I am just beginning to play with version 1.4i and I made a dice macro called "Random Test" to try and figure out how they worked. I had seen the folder called Dice macros and found the "weather" macro therin, so I assumed that when I saved the "Random Test" macro it would show up there. It didn't?

The question is, where is it (because it is saved somewhere) and how do I get rid of it (I have no real need for d100+2d12 in my games :) )

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:55 am

Welcome, Doval.

If it isn't in your Dice Macros folder, it must not be a global dice macro. Could it be that you attached it to a unit on the map? If so, you can delete the dice macro by right-clicking on the unit in question and selecting the "Dice Macro" submenu from the contextual popup menu, then selecting the "Clear All Dice Macros" command.
Last edited by heruca on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doval
Sergeant

Post by Doval » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:58 am

I really don't know. I know that I have exited Battleground and reopened it without loading an encounter and the dice macro is still available. Also I can go to the "load Dice Macro" and find a list of the "weather" and the "Random test" macros for loading.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:02 pm

There is no other place where the dice macro could have been saved to. The "Dice Macros" folder is the only place you need to look.

Is there any chance that you have more than one BRPG installation, and you are looking in the wrong installation for your dice macro?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Doval
Sergeant

Post by Doval » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:08 pm

I'll do a search for all files with "random" in the name when I next boot up the laptop and let you know. I just assumed it had to go in the Dice Macros folder.

I'm downloading the new manual now, does it discuss creating lookup tables like the weather table? The weather one seemed to be pretty straight forward.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:13 pm

Yes, see pg. 85 of the updated User Manual.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Doval
Sergeant

Post by Doval » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 pm

Ok, I searched for Random in a file name and it does not exist. It does show up under the "Load Dice Macros" option and in the chat window I select the "die" icon and I am offered the choice of "Weather" or "Random Test".

Now, I am running the free version so far. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Matt

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:15 pm

Perhaps for some unknown reason your dice macro was created as an invisible file in the "Dice Macros" folder. Try changing your viewing options and see if it appears.

Running the free Demo should make no difference at all as far as dice macros are concerned.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:18 pm

The other thing you might try is to make a new dice macro (one that might actually be useful to you) and see if the "Random Test" dice macro disappears after doing so.

Doval
Sergeant

Post by Doval » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:55 pm

I set it to display hidden (and system) files and still nothing showed up in the dice macros folder.

I then tried something interesting and copied the entire BRPG folder to another location on my hard drive. I then launched BRPG from that directory. The dice macro was NOT available in the second version. I then exited that session, changed the location back to the original version and relaunched it. The macro is then available.

Considering that the second instance is an exact copy of the entire directory structure you would think the resources available would be the same, but they are not.

This is not a big deal, but it is very confusing.

Matt

Lordippon
Captain

Post by Lordippon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:36 pm

Is it possible to delete just one dice macro from a figure without clearing all dice macros?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:02 pm

That's extremely odd behavior, Doval. What OS are you running?
Lordippon wrote:Is it possible to delete just one dice macro from a figure without clearing all dice macros?
Not at this time (except by manually editing a saved Encounter file or Deployment file in a text editor). However, you should be able to overwrite a dice macro with tweaked settings, if you use the exact same name for it.

Doval
Sergeant

Post by Doval » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:24 pm

Vista 64