Error Message: Not a Director File

"How Do I...?"
Yenooc
Soldier

Error Message: Not a Director File

Post by Yenooc » Tue May 04, 2010 10:02 pm

I have sent many "media" files to my players using the cxt file system, but with one encounter they are getting a "not a director file" of that or similar wording. They have purged all, I have deleted and remade and renamed the encounter, but each time they try to load that particular encounter, they get that message. What are we doing wrong?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 04, 2010 11:42 pm

Can you email me the file that is giving them that error message? What version of BRPG are you all using?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Yenooc
Soldier

Post by Yenooc » Tue May 04, 2010 11:48 pm

We're all using v1.4i
Do you want me to mail you the .cxt file? That's what I've been mailing to them for them to place into their Media Assets folders. And should I e-mail it to the support address listed under Contacts on the home page?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 04, 2010 11:54 pm

Send it to support at battlegroundsgames dot com, please. The Encounter file, too. Probably best if you zip them up first.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Yenooc
Soldier

Post by Yenooc » Tue May 04, 2010 11:58 pm

Will do. If there is a delay, it's due to other pc problems I'm having at the moment.

Yenooc
Soldier

Post by Yenooc » Wed May 05, 2010 12:08 am

I sent both files in one e-mail. The message was listed as 8MB, even with both files zipped.

Yenooc
Soldier

FOW

Post by Yenooc » Sun May 09, 2010 7:32 pm

My players removed and reinstalled their programs, but we never could get that encounter to load. We have not had that problem with any other encounters, so we just deleted it.

Now, however, we are experiencing another problem--and it's another one that is not occurring in previous encounters already loaded: the FOW is not working correctly. I can assign light sources to pc's or objects, but they do not emit light. And the layers do not work right: When I switched from both dynamic and manual to just manual or just dynamic, the players could see all, even with everything masked and no light source.

This is only a recent problem, and when I load the dozen or so encounters I saved before all this started to happen, those encounters still have working FOW. So it's not the overall FOW that's the source, but something that is happening to new encounters I am saving.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 09, 2010 11:50 pm

I'm beginning to suspect the problem may not be with your Encounter/s, but with something else. Likely culprits are anything in your Preferences folder, particularly the Turn Sequencer settings you are using or any Prefs file that you edited yourself (if any). Could you zip all that up and email it to me for testing?

Yenooc
Soldier

Post by Yenooc » Mon May 10, 2010 1:31 am

I did edit the turn sequencer, and then I deleted the old file. The only files in the Preferences folder now are the four that came with it directly under the Preferences folder (Enhanced Night Vision Menu, Label Menu, Light Sources Menu, and Map Scale Units) and my Initiative Sequence file under the Turn Sequencer Settings sub-menu. The sub-sub-menu, Disabled Turn Sequencer Settings, is empty.

Do you want me to zip the five files and send each of them to you?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 10, 2010 9:59 am

Just send me the Encounter file, the corresponding media bundle, and the TS Settings. Doesn't sound like you've changed anything else.