Chat Window Always There?

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Blakey

Chat Window Always There?

Post by Blakey » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:23 am

It seems the chat window is always there and is of fixed size. I use a tablet PC when DMing at the tabletop and it only has a resolution of 1024 x 768. That's not much real estate. Not being able to resize (or hide completely) the chat window will be a pain, I think.

Am I missing something? Is this hideable?

Cheers
Blakey

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:30 am

when you're connected, the chat window will hide/unhide with the tab key. that might be less than optimal with a tablet though.

was there some talk about modularizing the chat window?
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Blakey
Soldier

Post by Blakey » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:35 pm

Yeah, I have no 'tab key' when using my tablet - no keyboard! :-)

Everything needs to be mouse driven and there doesn't seem to be an option on the menu or preferences to switch this off.

All it would take would be for the window to be sizable and minimizable. And preferably closeable totally - as approximately 50% of users will be using this face to face at the gaming table via a projector (I will be one of that group), a chat window is totally useless to them...

Cheers
Blakey

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:14 pm

Welcome, Blakey.

Yes, the chat window can be closed/hidden when not needed. The Tab key is one way, as Weezoh mentioned, but for those without a keyboard, you can also toggle the chat window from the Battlegrounds icon popup menu (the red hex with a big "B" on it, in the top left corner of the screen).

There's also a chance that the chat console will be broken off into a true window, in a future update. This will likely happen when multiple monitor support is added, since the idea will be to place the chat window on a separate display, leaving the map window clear of obstructions.

If you find anything in BRPG that isn't mouse-driven (other than text entry, like figure names), let me know. I want BRPG to be useful to Tablet PC users.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

thelevitator
Captain

Post by thelevitator » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:21 pm

Unless you have my group Blakey! :D They are all talking about bringing laptops so that they can use the chat to send me private messages and to each other, and be able to move their own counters on the big screen. We've talked about the chat thing before, using MSN Messenger, but never implemented it. I'm not sure about the logistics of all of that, so we are going to start with the basics and just integrate Battlegrounds into our system a little at a time. One nice thing is that one of our regulars moved recently, so she may be able to join us again using Battlegrounds and MSN Messenger for voice chat so she can hear what's going on. She already has Player Genie so it will be easy to keep her char. up to date. I've always thought it would be fun to run a hybrid game with tabletop and online players playing at the same time. Have you ever run a session like that before Blakey?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:23 pm

Hmmm, it just occurred to me that figure movement and unit rotation don't have mouse-driven equivalents, yet. What else is still needed?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

thelevitator
Captain

Post by thelevitator » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:27 pm

OH BTW, welcome to the Battlegrounds boards Blakey!! I'm looking forward to your insight and your implementation of this program. :D

Blakey
Soldier

Post by Blakey » Tue May 02, 2006 4:55 am

thelevitator wrote:Unless you have my group Blakey! :D They are all talking about bringing laptops so that they can use the chat to send me private messages and to each other, and be able to move their own counters on the big screen.
A few of our players have laptops and they occasionally send me private messages via MSN so I can see the point in this at a tabletop game, sure. But seeing as we have a projector pointing down at the table and use minis, I expect to run battlegrounds only on my tablet and have the players continue to move their own minis. My players with laptops all have them running DMGenie with their characters loaded up in there. Seeing as we have about 1000 minis I don't think we'll use the tokens from battlegrounds too much - but they are useful if you have a horde of spiders say - we don't have that many spider figures!

It would be ace if you could link BRPG and DMGenie - such that each token in BRPG linked to a creature in DMGenie - but that is probably a thread for elsewhere (either on the DMGenie boards or elsewhere on here).
I've always thought it would be fun to run a hybrid game with tabletop and online players playing at the same time. Have you ever run a session like that before Blakey?
Nope. One of our players recently moved to Canada (we're in the UK) but he is at work during our sessions so this would be somewhat tricky. ;-) We do post updates on what is happening on our forums in real time so he can monitor the sessions over the net. Not quite the same though.

Blakey
Soldier

Post by Blakey » Tue May 02, 2006 4:58 am

heruca wrote:Hmmm, it just occurred to me that figure movement and unit rotation don't have mouse-driven equivalents, yet. What else is still needed?
How abouts some sort of drag and drop? It seems intuitive to me to select a figure with the mouse and use drag and drop to move him - the squares/hexes he is moved through effectively tracing his movement path. You could add a 'trail' to show where he has been.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Blakey

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 02, 2006 5:23 am

Using a trail, how do you show exactly where the figure moved, if you just dragged a figure (say) 10 squares away at an angle?

Blakey
Soldier

Post by Blakey » Tue May 02, 2006 5:46 am

I guess show which hexes/squares the mouse moved through when dragging? And allow the dragger to confirm they are happy when done?

Just ideas really....