Video backgrounds

gallahermike
Cannon Fodder

Video backgrounds

Post by gallahermike » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:45 pm

I am looking at Battlegrounds for a campaign I am starting and would like to use some video backgrounds like those found here https://www.patreon.com/dynamicdungeons. I was wondering if battlegrounds allows/can use videos for the background layer.

Thanks in advance.
Michael

heruca
Developer

Re: Video backgrounds

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Welcome, Michael.

Adding the ability to play videos to Battlegrounds would be a pretty simple matter. In fact, it's already got the QuickTime plugin in the Xtras folder, and other video formats could also be supported pretty easily. Unfortunately, I'm no longer developing Battlegrounds at this time. Tests would need to be performed regarding video frame rates at such large sizes, and I suspect the video would pause every time a popup menu was opened, and would resume when it was closed. That might be annoying.

But I love what Dynamic Dungeons is doing, and wish them the best.

How large (in MB) is a typical video background? What's their frame rate? Which VTTs can currently support them (aside from that purpose-built utility)?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.