How to get Battlegrounds (BRPG or BGE) to run on nVidia PCs

heruca
Developer

How to get Battlegrounds (BRPG or BGE) to run on nVidia PCs

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:50 pm

Mike, a BRPG user, has managed to get BRPG running on his nVidia-equipped Win 10 PC. This wasn't possible for the past couple of years, as originally noted in this forum thread and discussed more at length in this one.

Below, I'll post his step-by-step instructions, which will hopefully get both BRPG and BGE operational on other PCs with nVidia graphics cards.

Thanks, Mike!

--Heruca
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Re: How to get Battlegrounds (BRPG or BGE) to run on nVidia PCs

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:50 pm

This is what was done to correct my issue that might be successful for all others using Nvidia cards (using the Google Chrome web browser):

Have people fetch the newest drivers directly from the Nvidia website. This might sound obvious but is something that is easily overlooked… Here is why;
a. When people have a specific video card that is manufactured, often they have drivers that have been customized by the vendor to do some additional tasks. Thus, I have an Asus GTX 960 Strix card. Therefore, I am inclined to use software from Asus. My recommendation is to have people bypass this issue by downloading the correct software package from the Nvidia site. I read through all of the articles you recommended and noticed that my video driver was defaulting to the included software package from Asus not Nvidia. If your video card came with software, you might wish to uninstall that software once you have the correct replacement package directly from Nvidia’s website. Prep your computer by fetching (downloading) the correct video driver first before you uninstall anything!

b. Make sure people install the newest WHQL tested driver. Microsoft tests these packages of software (the Windows Hardware Quality Lab) and enforces that driver manufacturers adhere to specifics created by Microsoft. What this does is make the driver behave properly for just about everyone on the face of the planet. Thus, have people fetch this driver for their video card.

c. Because I have an Asus video card, Asus has a good habit of updating software for hardware that isn’t that old. My video card is about a year and half old. While my Asus GTX 960 Strix isn’t the newest card on the block, it isn’t ancient. However, using the Asus software could be much older than software coming directly from Nvidia. Therefore, use only software manufactured by the company that manufactures the chips used on the video card. Asus does tinker with settings, but Asus does not manufacture the chips used on the video card. Accordingly, if I use Nvidia software, the software is newer, has had multiple fixes pushed to enhance its behavior, will not contain additional software that could force the card to function improperly, etc… IE, it is always better to start with basic functionality for troubleshooting. Have people default to this type of installation.

2. My selections made to remedy my issue:
Anything in Pink is something I am referencing.

Navigate to the Nvidia website and select drivers at the top.

3. Click download to fetch the correct driver

4. Download the File to your computer and then run it!

5. Install the driver and verify it functions properly. In the next picture, you can easily see Asus GPU Tweak software running in conjunction with the newest Nvidia installed drivers (version 399.07) for my Asus GeForce 960 Strix. Notice the release date is 8/27/2018 from Nvidia.

6. The next screenshot is of my Asus GTX 960 Strix card for Windows 10 64-bit driver found on the Asus website. Notice that the driver is just a little bit older (Asus drivers version 398.39 versus Nvidia drivers at 399.07). I assume that Nvidia is trying to release all software to be Windows Hardware Quality Lab inspected and that is why you see most drivers come with WHQL certification on them. If I install the Asus package, I am not getting the newest software that Nvidia is offering to customers.

7. With the Nvidia driver installed, I am seeing BRPG run properly! Also, I am not seeing any stability issues at all. It seems very stable.

The machine was rebooted after BRPG was executed once and verified to be functioning. It was tested again and had no issues opening and staying on screen properly.

Make sure customers are only using Nvidia drivers taken directly from Nvidia’s website.
To avoid additional problems ask them to fetch WHQL certified drivers only.
Ask them to uninstall software that may interfere (like my Asus driver) as a last resort. {I did not uninstall the Asus software but did allow the Nvidia software to install and had no issues}
Verify operation by completely powering off the machine and powering it back up and then executing the application.

If you have any questions, please ask. Hope this helps!
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.