BUG: Campfire on Load (RC1)

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Omnidon
Site Admin

BUG: Campfire on Load (RC1)

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:48 pm

This is an odd bug I've gotten for a few versions now...

Occasionally, after loading BRPG will show only a single animated campfire on a black background.

Closing & Reopening BRPG is the only way to get rid of it.
Last edited by Omnidon on Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:54 pm

Just got it again :P

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:25 pm

That's a strange one! It seems to be bypassing the game board part of the program and skipping to the part where I define the campfire animation. That shouldn't be possible, LOL!
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:25 am

I'm getting a new variation of this bug, though it might have been there all along and I just didn't see it.

Previewing the "Campfire, Lit" object in the object placement panel causes the campfire sound (Yes, a sound!) to play continously until it is placed, and sometimes until I play a different sound.

Placing that object causes it to disappear instantly.

My guess is that the object was tied to some experiment in early testing that is causing it to work improperly.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:39 am

--- Moved from another thread ---
Omnidon wrote:Ooooh I broke it :D
I think I absent-mindedly right-clicked several times before it was loaded.

All hail the blue screen of death!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
heruca wrote:Hehe! That's my bandaid fix for the error where you'd suddenly see the huge campfire animation on an all-black screen. I put that alert there to "cut you off at the pass", so to speak. :)

Somehow, you're managing to get past the map window's main program loop. I'd love to know how to replicate this reliably so I can fix it.
As implied by that previous post, this may be related to the Right Click Before Loaded bug, since I can usually get that "Serious Error has Occurred" message to appear by doing that. However, it seems to proceed to load correctly after pressing Ok.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:30 am

I got this bug too, and it started with the campfire animation, then it cycled through a bunch of animations against a black backdrop. Weird.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:43 pm

yeah, got this too, once, when I deleted something with a "player" (myself on another computer) connected.
--Tlichie

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:10 pm

I've gotten something similar to happen but with the panel screens (it would just cycle endlessly through all the various panels). I think it happened because I alt-tabbed away from BRPG while it was launching.

That got me to thinking that it might be related to this bug. By any chance, did this bug happen to you all only after alt-tabbing to another app?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:26 am

It's possible.

I use Alt-Tab fairly often, but I also have my taskbar set to never hide, so I often click on the taskbar to switch windows.

I almost always have many different windows open at once.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:08 pm

Same here...usually many different windows open, will bring different windows up and down, using the bar rather than Alt+Tab. I expect during an actual gaming session that I wouldn't be switching screens that much, since there would be a much greater need for me to pay attention :wink: character sheets, monster stats etc I like to have hard copies of (so I can make notes...I have the "sheets" online and then print them off when I need and make updates when it's practical).

In any case, I'll try to pay attention to what I'm doing while messing around with BG and if it happens again I'll be able to say for sure if I was doing a lot of switching around, etc.
--Tlichie

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:46 pm

Just to clarify, I don't think switching apps while BRPG is running is bad or causing this bug, just switching while BRPG is launching.