The Pixel/Cell Thing...

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Balesir
General

The Pixel/Cell Thing...

Post by Balesir » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:57 am

Hi, All,

Just reading through the excellent 'suggestion summary' collection, one thing mentioned several times is that it would be better for 'ranges' to work in 'pixels' rather than 'cells'. While I can certainly see the utility of this for more freeform play, I can also see a place for everything being cell-based (a cell being either visible or not, a cell being either fully lit, shadowy, sub-shadowy or dark, etc.). Maybe this could be linked to whether or not 'snap-to-grid' is being used? That seems a logical connection to me - the split is then between games that use the grid as an absolute rules-framework (D&D, GURPS, etc.) and those that don't (CoC, WoD, etc.).
Balesir

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:29 pm

I'm glad you liked my summary.

I was trying to figure out somewhere to bring this up. ;-)

Keep in mind that all the grid cells are 61x61 pixels. So if distances become pixel-based, you merely have to multiply the number of cells you want by 61 to get the pixel distance.

But I agree. For simplicity's sake, there should be an option to switch between using pixels and cells for distance. Perhaps in the preferences.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:06 pm

Ideally (eventually) what I had in mind was even more fundamental. What I personally would like for some game systems is that light radii are like AoE - but AoE would have Line-of-Sight functionality.

To spec it a bit more fully:
  • Line of sight would work as I have said before; if any one cell corner has an unbroken line (unblocked by defined 'block' cell sides) to any other cell corner, then all cells sharing those corners are mutually in sight of each other.

A light source is defined at a cell corner. A cell corner that is within the light radius of this corner and has line of sight to it is 'lit'; lights may also have (larger) radii for 'shadowy' and 'dim' illumination. A cell that has at least half of its corners at a given level of illumination has that level of illumination itself - exempli gratia a square cell with two corners 'lit' would count as 'lit'. A cell with at least one corner at a given level of illumination, but not half of its total corners, would have a level of illumination one lower than the given level - e.g. a hexagonal cell with two corners 'shadowy' (and none 'lit') would be dimly lit and a square cell with only one corner 'lit' would itself be 'shadowy'.

Visibility under the 'fog of war' would require that a cell (i) be in line of sight from the viewer's cell (any corner), and (ii) be sufficiently well lit for the viewer to see.
For the non-cell-based setup (no grid/no snap-to-grid) line of sight and lighting would both be in pixels but otherwise work similarly.

Of course, I realise that this will not be in V.1.0... :wink:

Edited - 'cos my crummy spacebar is sticking... :roll:
Last edited by Balesir on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:14 pm

Well, one thing I have planned and is much simpler to implement is to use the AoE-style templates instead of a plain circle to "cut holes" in the FoW layer.

The end result is that discrete cells will either be in bright light or shadowy light (although there are still some additive effects, like two shadowy cells that overlap combine into a brightly lit cell).

I call this method "gridded reveals".
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:23 pm

heruca wrote:Well, one thing I have planned and is much simpler to implement is to use the AoE-style templates instead of a plain circle to "cut holes" in the FoW layer.
Ahead of the game, as ever! :wink:

If the full 'line-of-sight' thing ever gets sorted my method is probably actually more compatible, but your method as a 'first move' sounds good :D
heruca also wrote:I call this method "gridded reveals".
Catchy! :lol:
Balesir